• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Longstanding Maryland law provides that a handgun manufactured on or after January 1, 1985, may only be offered for sale or transferred in Maryland if the model has been approved by the Handgun Roster Board. The complete Handgun Roster is available on a state website, but I find the website difficult to work with -- the "search" function does not work, and sometimes there are glitches in trying to browse the list as well.

However, the Board also publishes the entire Roster once a year, in the Maryland Register, most recently in the July 26, 2013 edition. I am posting here the PDF file of the pertinent pages, which include the entire Handgun Roster as it currently exists. You can use the "find" tool that is available in the Adobe Acrobat or the free Adobe Reader to quickly search for particular model names in this file. (I suppose that most other PDF readers have a similar tool.) It's also easy to email the PDF file, or a page from it, to a dealer to show him that a particular model is approved, saving him the trouble of struggling with the website Roster.

Attachments

• HandgunRosterJuly2013.pdf
      1.5 MB · Views: 811

chappy444

Feb 15, 2013
    surprised to see the kel-tec PMR-30 on that list.... guess I better get one before the mag capacity ban goes into effect....

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Roster Board and magazine capacity

surprised to see the kel-tec PMR-30 on that list.... guess I better get one before the mag capacity ban goes into effect....

The PMR-30 pistol -- which is designed to hold 30 rounds of .22 WMR ammo -- is indeed on the list, but under current law it can only be sold in Maryland with a modified magazine that will hold only 20 rounds instead of 30 (or, I suppose, with no magazine). Starting October 1, the 10-round limitation goes into effect for all magazines transferred or offered for sale in Maryland, whether they are sold with pistols or separately -- but this does not affect which models of handguns are approved on the Roster.

In other words, the Roster law and the magazine limitation are two different things. The law creating the Roster Board requires the Board to consider nine specific aspects of a handgun, and magazine capacity is not one of them. But in order for a handgun-with-detachable-magazine to be sold in Maryland, the FFL or other seller must ensure that both requirements are complied with.

The mere fact that a given handgun can accommodate a magazine with a capacity greater than 20 rounds -- or, starting October 1, 10 rounds -- will not cause that model of handgun to be rejected for approval by the Roster Board.

Last edited:

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Has anyone had any success getting a pistol on the roster? I wanted to get a 6" chiappa rhino before october 1st but I think only the 2" is on the list. Would it be possible to get it on the list and still make the purchase (on an 8th day release) before october 1st?

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    Rhino

Has anyone had any success getting a pistol on the roster? I wanted to get a 6" chiappa rhino before october 1st but I think only the 2" is on the list. Would it be possible to get it on the list and still make the purchase (on an 8th day release) before october 1st?

The Chiappa Rhino model 200DS is on the Roster (which has a 2-inch barrel), and the model 40DS (which has a 4-inch barrel) has been approved and should be added to the Roster late this month. The Roster Board lists approvals by model name/number and caliber. Once a model number is approved, all examples of that model are okay, if they are the approved calibers, regardless of barrel length. The problem here is that Chiappa designates each barrel-length variation as a separate model, with a separate model number. That means that each model has to be approved and listed on the Roster. However, if they are all basically mechanically the same, then somebody could file a petition to add them all, along with documentation that the unapproved models are just minor variations and do not differ substantially from the already-approved models.

The process always takes at least three months, from submission of an application to the new model actually appearing on the Roster, and it can take a lot longer in some cases.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Does anyone have a downloaded PDF of the Maryland roster from before July 2013?

Apparently some of the entries may have been changed to restricted before SB281 went into effect on Oct 1, and not by the board that determines which handguns are available in MD. Specifically the Uzi 22lr rimfire might not have been restricted in the past, and at least on a hard copy that I saw at an FFL (printed/received in August 2013), the Bushmaster AR pistols had the same asterisks, in that they were only available to LEOs, etc. The PDF in this thread doesn't have this restriction listed.

My interest isn't really in either of the examples above, but is to see whether other pistols may have disappeared from the roster over the past year.

While I'm asking questions, does anyone know if Mrs. Jenkins still acts as liaison to this board, and what her contact info is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom