• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I was at South Carroll Sporting Goods last night and a GORGEOUS Ruger 44 mag carbine walked in the door to be placed on consignment. It looks brand new. Clearly hasn’t been fired much. Not sure the price but if you’re looking for one, you won’t find one any nicer. Has the original manuals with it.

Dam it....I didn't need to hear this.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Might be getting to bottom of the batch

Doubt it. These are Chicom .mil rifles that were sent to Albania. They sat there for some time. Some were given to their equivalent of National Guard units during the Sino-Albanian decade and a half of cooperation, others just sat in stockpiles because Hoxha was batshit crazy and went insane with the stockpiling and bunker building. It's theorized that Albania has 104,000 TONS of useless surplus ammo sitting around now that they're moving to NATO standards. My guess is that as more and more units are armed with NATO weapons, the AKs will be pushed to second-line use and the former second-line SKSs will continue to be sold to us because they can get a better price here than elsewhere thanks to our embargo on direct imports from China. I'd say we've got the better part of a decade of these kinds of big lots coming up before they start dwindling. That should also mean some Type 53s and M44s coming in as they're discovered among the lots. That's how I got my beater M44. Birch stock with chu-wood repairs, all matching except the bolt, which is Chinese. It's well, well used and I expect it saw some hard use in the PLA before making its way to Albania when Mao and Hoxha were all cozied up.

rauler

May 2, 2012
    Doubt it. These are Chicom .mil rifles that were sent to Albania. They sat there for some time. Some were given to their equivalent of National Guard units during the Sino-Albanian decade and a half of cooperation, others just sat in stockpiles because Hoxha was batshit crazy and went insane with the stockpiling and bunker building. It's theorized that Albania has 104,000 TONS of useless surplus ammo sitting around now that they're moving to NATO standards. My guess is that as more and more units are armed with NATO weapons, the AKs will be pushed to second-line use and the former second-line SKSs will continue to be sold to us because they can get a better price here than elsewhere thanks to our embargo on direct imports from China. I'd say we've got the better part of a decade of these kinds of big lots coming up before they start dwindling. That should also mean some Type 53s and M44s coming in as they're discovered among the lots. That's how I got my beater M44. Birch stock with chu-wood repairs, all matching except the bolt, which is Chinese. It's well, well used and I expect it saw some hard use in the PLA before making its way to Albania when Mao and Hoxha were all cozied up.
    If your guess turns out to be correct, do you foresee prices getting better than the current $299?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If your guess turns out to be correct, do you foresee prices getting better than the current $299?

That doesn’t seem super likely unless the market becomes super soft for SKS and/or Albania Lek goes down a lot in value against the US dollar.

That doesn’t mean you can’t find one cheaper, but for importers and resellers I doubt you’ll see a price much better than that. It is rare that in the long term the price of guns goes down.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Lots of C&R stuff in stock, open today 8/10/19 from 2pm-6pm. Mosin's, Mausers, SKS's, K31's, M1's, All of these and more 10%-20% off today!! Greek 30.06 ammo and Bulgarian 7.62x54r available

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Beretta 1951 at ATlantic

Attachments

• 2DD6AB58-37E1-47A4-8067-B5C09341743F.jpg
      2DD6AB58-37E1-47A4-8067-B5C09341743F.jpg
      69 KB · Views: 396

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo

Sorry for the late response, but no, I do not. $299 is probably the absolute rock-bottom for C&R wholesale/online pricing for an SKS in as good of shape as these were. Sub-$200 C&R guns are going to be a lot less common moving forward unless Russia and the US both change some laws that would allow them dumping C&R gear in the US.

rauler

May 2, 2012
    Sorry for the late response, but no, I do not. $299 is probably the absolute rock-bottom for C&R wholesale/online pricing for an SKS in as good of shape as these were. Sub-$200 C&R guns are going to be a lot less common moving forward unless Russia and the US both change some laws that would allow them dumping C&R gear in the US.
    That doesn’t seem super likely unless the market becomes super soft for SKS and/or Albania Lek goes down a lot in value against the US dollar.

That doesn’t mean you can’t find one cheaper, but for importers and resellers I doubt you’ll see a price much better than that. It is rare that in the long term the price of guns goes down.
    Thanks for your insight. I appreciate taking your time to respond.

Jul 1, 2012
    Certainly.

Completely legal. However, some sellers will not honor C&R licenses.

Especially not if you're a MD resident purchasing in MD :)

I saw these but being MD dealer to MD citizen they have to go through a shop right? Cant mail to your door?

correct on both counts.

I figured because they are in Maryland and I'm in Maryland it might be an issue.

You figured correctly :)

If you are a MD resident, your FFL-03 can't be used to purchase a C&R pistol in MD (or from another MD resident depending on how you interpret the law).

You have to transfer it via a 77R either through an FFL-01 etc or at MSP barracks.

A C&R pistol in MD does have the advantage of not requiring an HQL to transfer.

You do have to log it into your bound book though.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I think those are from the same batch that consisted of a large tub of Cosmoline with some surplus rifles in it somewhere. They've been trying to unload them for more than a month. Hit the Resistance Price, looks like.

So, the skinny is this. Classic got some real ugly SKS lots a while back, and I mean uuuuugly. Chi-Com Jianshae Factory 26 jobs that saw rough use by the Albanian civil militia units they were given to under the military aid agreement between Hoxha and Mao. Classic charged something like $350 or so for them and the guys who jumped on them were pretty disappointed. Carved up stocks, lots of pitting below the wood on the receivers and mags, etc. "Fair" at best on a grading scale, but really, closer to the "poor" end of things. They sold all of that lot off, but the press was bad enough that when they got a new batch from Foxtrot Lima out of NY, everyone was pretty leery of them, so they sat for a bit. Clint or Ben or whoever decided to drop the price to $299 and just move them before they started having to take a bath on the inventory and this time, it turns out that the stuff that they were moving was way better than the crap that they had shipped before. Whereas the previous batch were militia turn ins (bubba's army) the recent sale batch were all regular military turn ins, and that means a lot of matching SNs, better overall condition, etc.

Everyone was pretty cautious about them. I didn't pull the trigger until I started seeing guys posting on FB about getting matched guns in good shape without having to resort to the "Hand Select" option, etc. And by then, it was only in the one-day extension to the original sale. Glad I did though, got a nice one for pretty cheap. Their buyer's group FB page was full of guys who bought the previous iterations pouting about how everyone now as getting better rifles for less money.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Not C&R yet but classic has Beretta .32acp pistols for $210. I’d get one if I didn’t want to add a new caliber to the mix.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-mod-81-pistol-surplus-used-good-very-good/

Im thinking of buying 2 of them today. I was 100% on board until classic changed their description from VG/EX to G/VG. I wonder if they're the same grade as others selling for more or Classic got them cheaper by ordering a lesser grade. Sometimes i think they order lower grades to sell more by offering a good price. One thing i dont have faith in is their hand select option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom