Inappropriate exchange with gun store owner while concealed carrying at his store?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I did not pull it out or even showed him the gun, I just informed him because I wanted him know just in case it wasn’t in the stores policy and so I could show him if it was ok what I was looking for. I think the guy saying just don’t pull it out or I’ll have to exercise my right was way too much when all he had to say was don’t pull it out. That would have been completely understandable but I just wanted to know what other’s thoughts on this was because it certainly felt threatening and kid of rude to me but thanks to all that chimed in.
    You just wanted him to know? Really? Defeats the purpose of conceal carry don't you think? You have a permit for that ...it's nobody elses business except your own. If I were the store employee I would probably got my hand slapped for telling you "nobody gives a shat, I'm carrying too."

Why is it some people when they conceal carry, they just have to let everyone else know they are carrying. I truly don't understand.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Personally, I get it that the OP is pleased and even excited about his new right to carry.

I also believe that being discreet about being armed is the way to go. No one needs to know you're carrying; resist the temptation to show off your new tool. It can lead to misunderstandings and worse.

An exception can be made when interacting officially with LEOs; most often that would involve a traffic stop. Do NOT open the conversation with "I've got a gun!" Maybe the best way would be to hand the officer your carry permit with your driver's license, and ask him how he'd prefer to proceed.

Dec 7, 2018
    Did you read the part when I wrote “ I wanted to show him the holster to better explain what kind of holster I was looking for? I first wanted the thumbs up that it was ok to carry inside the store. I think that all my actions were relevant to very nature of my visit. I’m also a brown man so I’m being extra careful that no mistakes are made. I’m in a gun store with a gun I’m carrying in a holster I’m inquiring about just for a different weapon

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    Did you read the part when I wrote “ I wanted to show him the holster to better explain what kind of holster I was looking for? I first wanted the thumbs up that it was ok to carry inside the store. I think that all my actions were relevant to very nature of my visit. I’m also a brown man so I’m being extra careful that no mistakes are made. I’m in a gun store with a gun I’m carrying in a holster I’m inquiring about just for a different weapon
    For starters, it's ok that you were carrying...you didn't see a sign or anything, THERFORE, your carry is lawful. Even if you saw a sign or something asking you to not carry...you're still not breaking the law. It is not mentioned in state statutes so its STILL lawful.

If you already have a holster of the kind you are looking for and wanted to use as an example, I'm even more confused. Most holster discussions don't need to involve the one in your pants.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Actually, I didn't get that at all from reading your first post; you do seem to explain your intentions a bit more clearly in your post above, and it all makes sense in that light.

Dec 7, 2018
    I’m carrying a g26 in a clip on IWB. I was looking for a clip on of the same that will accommodate a g19 with rmr. I like leather because it’s comfortable and kydex scratches your gun so I felt the need to show him what I wanted

Dec 7, 2018
    I’m certainly not a new to the gun culture and I make sure I read and acknowledge any rules and regulations regarding firearms because potential mistakes can result in injury or death so I take the extra precautions.

Zaicran

MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2010
    Morganza, MD
    I’m carrying a g26 in a clip on IWB. I was looking for a clip on of the same that will accommodate a g19 with rmr. I like leather because it’s comfortable and kydex scratches your gun so I felt the need to show him what I wanted
    I get it now. All good. Lesson learned here...I guess? I would have planned that out a little better knowing I would have to leverage my current carry holster. This is where my shoulder rig would come into play which frees up my IWB. Or maybe relocate said handgun temporarily? It makes it awkward (for everyone) if you have to pull that out to show the retailer. Maybe call ahead? If you can verbalize your current model of holster unless you made it yourself or its a one off custom. They can look it up.

I'm just saying this could be planned better. Food for thought for next time..you're new to carrying ...glad you asked here...

Dec 7, 2018
    And all this was out of respect for the store policy and help with a holster and the response was more on lines of “if you step in the street I will run your ass over” That not right

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    And all this was out of respect for the store policy and help with a holster and the response was more on lines of “if you step in the street I will run your ass over” That not right
    I didn't see that at all in his response.

He probably has people carrying in the store all of the time, and none of them ever mention it. That you did was extremely unusual, and sounds odd, like you're nervous. You being nervous about bringing a gun into the store causes questions.

Dec 7, 2018
    I need to mention it because I need to show him what I’m looking. All he had say was don’t pull it out. He did have to say or I’ll have to exercise his right which was I guess to shoot me but I thank y’all again for sharing your thoughts on the matter and I’ll make sure to only patronize a store has employees that don’t think this was a normal response. Good night all

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I need to mention it because I need to show him what I’m looking. All he had say was don’t pull it out. He did have to say or I’ll have to exercise his right which was I guess to shoot me but I thank y’all again for sharing your thoughts on the matter and I’ll make sure to only patronize a store has employees that don’t think this was a normal response. Good night all

And that’s all that really matters at the end of the day. I’ve been to shops that get a lot of praise on here and was not impressed for one reason or another. Thankfully we have a lot of choices, even in this state.

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    Getting a little confusing, at one point you said:

I say I felt some kind of way meaning I couldn’t determine if that was a threat or just an in appropriate response. I also told him I was carrying to show him what kind of holster I was looking for. IWB clip on
    Then you said:
    I never pulled the gun out or even showed him the holster especially after he made that comment. I just told him that it was on me
    But maybe I’m misreading this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom