• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    Meanwhile, the HQL has reduced the customer pool dramatically all while the spending frenzy from 2013 still is having impact on other guns sales. It all adds up to many FFLs doing what they can to just try to survive as a business. That has driven FFL transfer fees up a lot just in the last couple years.
    to be fair, was the average FFL transfer cost comparable to MSP's transfer cost BEFORE the HQL was in effect?

obviously there are legitimate reasons why an FFL is going to charge you more, but some of these high transfer costs aren't THAT new.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    to be fair, was the average FFL transfer cost comparable to MSP's transfer cost BEFORE the HQL was in effect?

obviously there are legitimate reasons why an FFL is going to charge you more, but some of these high transfer costs aren't THAT new.
    Nope.

Before FSA2013, FFL transfer fees were all over the map. From 25 bucks, all the way to 150 bucks.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Man,......$150. Those dealers must have an Asian chick giving you a handy while they fax the papers.

Really though,..... someone here thinks ANYTHING in the range of $50 (plus) dollars is realistic for this?

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Man,......$150. Those dealers must have an Asian chick giving you a handy while they fax the papers.

Really though,..... someone here thinks ANYTHING in the range of $50 (plus) dollars is realistic for this?

IIRC, The state says they can charge a fee of $20.00.

The fact that they charge more and are not called out by the state ... Is indicative of the state attitude towards anyone buying a firearm. The state is saying... "Yes, we know the business is over charging you... But F U, you're a gun buyer and we hate you anyway."

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    IIRC, The state says they can charge a fee of $20.00.

The fact that they charge more and are not called out by the state ... Is indicative of the state attitude towards anyone buying a firearm. The state is saying... "Yes, we know the business is over charging you... But F U, you're a gun buyer and we hate you anyway."

Not questioning you, but do you have any idea where it says that? Now I'm curious.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I don't want the State involved in price fixing for private business (anymore than they already are). I just find it concerning that some of the fees charged (apparently) are somewhat outrageous and for the most part people here run to the LGS's defense claiming how difficult and cumbersome the process (somehow) is.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    Here ya go, MDSP site in the Regulated Firearm Purchase section:

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organizati...ision/Firearms/RegulatedFirearmPurchases.aspx

How Much Does It Cost?

Licensed dealers are assessed a $10 processing fee for each application submitted as a result of a new purchase. Secondary Sales conducted by a licensed dealer may be assessed an additional $20 fee by the dealer.

Secondary Sales conducted at a Maryland State Police Barrack require a $10 check or money order made out to the Maryland State Police.

Voluntary Registration/Gifts to immediate family members are free. However, see the HQL page for any relevant fees to obtain a Handgun Qualification License, as it may be applicable.

Gifts to non-family members are considered Secondary Sales.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    So,....

$30 bucks.

If you did 12 a day (taking a whopping ~3 hours total) it's ~$1,200 bucks a week for a 5 day work week without selling a single gun, bullet or infidel sticker.

Overhead must be super high at some of these shops if they "need" to charge $50 and more to even keep the lights on.

71Chevelle427

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2015
    B'More County, Maryland
    So,....

$30 bucks.

If you did 12 a day (taking a whopping ~3 hours total) it's ~$1,200 bucks a week for a 5 day work week without selling a single gun, bullet or infidel sticker.

Overhead must be super high at some of these shops if they "need" to charge $50 and more to even keep the lights on.

I'd be happy to work 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, for $1200. Where can I get an application? :lol2:

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'd be happy to work 3 hours a day, 5 days a week, for $1200. Where can I get an application? :lol2:

Lets say that would put you at the break even mark, having almost $5K a month in fixed overhead (which seems ridicilous to me for most of these dumps).

You'd be in the money fairly quickly (Id hope) with a few sales a week of some ammo and guns.

Some of these stores have done it to THEMSELVES. Failure/refusal to accept the fact that it's not still 1997, refusal to accept incoming transfers because they think "boycotting" transfers from places like Budds and Reeds will somehow stop people from using their brains to search for the best pricing.

Laughable.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    So,....

$30 bucks.

12 a day? I bet they do less then 3 a day an average

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom