• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josnyder

Jun 14, 2022
    Maryland
    Hey all,

I built an ax throwing target in my backyard. It works great and is made out of giant tree rounds. It is super heavy duty.

Unfortunately, all of the axes I use seem to break rather quickly. I've broken cheap ones made with wooden handles and expensive ones made with carbon fiber.

Now I am thinking of buying some cheap throwing knives. I see sets on Amazon for under $20. I am assuming they will break as well. Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap set of throwing knives to use on my ex throwing setup?

Thank you in advance, Jordan

Attachments

• 16801943786274396261422331544574.jpg
      16801943786274396261422331544574.jpg
      530.4 KB · Views: 64

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I can't help with the knives, but might be able to help with all the broken axes. Instead of throwing them at the tree target, why not place catch with the wife? Probably won't break a single ax.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Most single piece throwing knives will take a lot of abuse. I would suggest painting the handles with a bright color paint, I found that knives that miss or bounce off can hide pretty well in the grass.

josnyder

Jun 14, 2022
    Maryland
    Most single piece throwing knives will take a lot of abuse. I would suggest painting the handles with a bright color paint, I found that knives that miss or bounce off can hide pretty well in the grass.
    Great idea to paint the knives. Would have never thought of that. And would have definitely been searching the grass.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Gil Hibben Original Throwing set (small) about $35 on Amazon and elsewhere. I bought a set in the 90s, good for the money.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I like Cold Steel for throwing knives. Midway has them on sale now.
    Easier for me if they are heavier, but not too heavy. Light ones are extra frustrating.

I would also suggest their 'hawks for throwing and but a few spare handles which slide into the heads easily if/when they break.

For easier, the Cold Steel throwing stars are great, as they stick more often than not.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For axes, Estwings may be a bit more costly, but they won't break, and they do throw well. My Dad taught me how to throw an axe with an Estwing axe/hatchet with a leather wrap handle.

215cd680-75f5-417c-888b-fad94a6c5871_1.f1d5438371d949a19a9c9988e5fe8421.jpeg

As a kid I had gotten to the point where I was almost 100% at the standard throwing distance of 10 feet or so - the distance where the axe flips once and sticks - and I was about 80%-90% at double the distance with two flips between me and the target.

sckno3

patience is a virtue
    May 7, 2013
    SOG makes some good throwers, and so are the same style ones from Smith & Wesson. The S&Ws are a little smaller, but still plenty fun.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Cheap throwers can be dangerous, NEVER throw stainless knives/axes, carbon steel only, they might bend, but won't split/crack/shatter. All the good throwing axes have a consistent weight and tough head with a simple straight handle that is easily replaceable, they do get beat up or break, and need to be replaced. There are some league axes that have a head that clamps on them, break a handle, take a couple bolts out, slip old handle out, new handle in, and back at it in a couple minutes. Installing a handle wrong can get people hurt. For knives, darts and stars, just simple shapes of carbon steel is best. Most throwing knives are flat steel, some have beveled edges near the point, but you do not want sharpened edges, they add danger when handling and usually chip or can start a crack. Cold Steel makes some good throwers, and some cheap junk, if they don't advertise it as 1055 steel, avoid it.

Last edited:

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    …Does anyone have a suggestion for a cheap set of throwing knives to use on my ex throwing setup?

Thank you in advance, Jordan

Yes. Watch MidWayUSA as they from time to time push out Cold Steel throwing knives of different lengths and weights at 50% off and sometimes better:

I went hog wild this time last year (I think there are like 20+ knives and 15 or so axes in the garage now - it was so many I was giving them away) and visitors had a blast all summer.

We got / have the Templar axes from St. Barbs tho it appears they’re temp out of stock.

After MidWay’s clearance, St. Barbs had the lowest prices on the Templars so, I’d wager their prices on the Cold Steel knives are gonna be pretty good as well …:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom