• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msink

Jun 18, 2020
    Hi everyone, hoping you all can verify for me.
    My father passed away and in his will, left me all of his firearms, including several handguns and rifles. I reached out to a local gun shop by email and they replied that all I have to do for the handguns is register them under my name with MSP online, and I don’t have to do anything for the rifles (I can just take possession of them, I guess?). I do have an HQL.

Does this sound right? I’d like to trust the guidance given by the gun shop, just looking for a second opinion.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Assuming you were willed them, by name, it is a very simple process. You don't have to spend a dime or wait an hour. Simply do the regulated firearms transfers via MSP. You're basically putting the guns into your name in the MSP database.

True and all the handguns will need to be brought to the barracks and have the serial numbers run.

msink

Jun 18, 2020
    Assuming you were willed them, by name, it is a very simple process. You don't have to spend a dime or wait an hour. Simply do the regulated firearms transfers via MSP. You're basically putting the guns into your name in the MSP database.

Thanks for the quick reply!

msink

Jun 18, 2020
    True and all the handguns will need to be brought to the barracks and have the serial numbers run.

Do you know if that’s something that can be done in one trip, or would I have to drop them off and come back another time?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Do you know if that’s something that can be done in one trip, or would I have to drop them off and come back another time?

One trip, MSP does not keep firearms during the check.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    If any of the long guns are banned. You'll have to register them as well.
    Does this mean that you can leave banned rifles in your will inside of md and have them grandfathered in? Does it only apply to direct family? I know someone that was faced with a situation like that involving a bushmaster and didnt know what to do.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Does this mean that you can leave banned rifles in your will inside of md and have them grandfathered in? Does it only apply to direct family? I know someone that was faced with a situation like that involving a bushmaster and didnt know what to do.

Yes and yes.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium

Yes, you can put them in your will and it does not need to be family.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I am sorry to hear about your Father. I hope that you and your family are doing well. May his soul Rest In Peace.

It is coming up on a year since my Mom passed away and I still miss her a lot. Losing a parent can be difficult for some people.

Cal68

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011

Can anyone else confirm this?

I was in the same situation back in 2017. Dad left me everything from banned rifles to unregulated rifles and some handguns. I filled the paperwork on line through the MSP portal and got the not disapproved after several days. I don’t remember if It did end up being the whole 7 days or not.

At no point in the process did I have to bring them in to have the serial numbers run. My mom did call the folks in Reisterstown trying to get me in trouble for some stuff with the firearms and when I spoke to the lady in charge of the licensing division, she advised me that everything with the firearms in my dads will were handled exactly as they should have been.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom