• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    I am working with a customer who has built a few kits for the Ruger 10/22, to turn them into what looks like a M249 SAW. I am thinking of marketing the kits, and possibly selling complete rifles ready to shoot. I am wondering what kind of market there may be for them. I am a little pushed for time at the moment, but I will post some pics shortly.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, hell yes, post some pics and pricing. I was about to do a build of a 10/22, so now's the time.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Two samples

cannon109.jpg
    mg199/6088/cannon111.jpg[/IMG]

Whatcha think? ;)

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    The colapsible model is just dummied up with a barrel right now, and doesn't have the rest of the gun installed. It has had a gun in it and it fits well. The fixed stock one is actually a 22mag model that belongs to the gentleman that is preparing these kits for me to sell.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    The folding stock kit in the picture was the first test project. That particular kit is available for a reduced price of 395.00. I can install your gun into it for a small fee. After this one sells, the price is a bit more as the price of the needed materials has gone up since this idea started. I am estimating they will be around $500 for the kit. For sales to out of state where I can ship hicap mags, I am planning to have a 50rnd mag that is placed in the plastic 'nut sack' that hangs under the gun and will have some belted dummy rounds that look to be feeding into the gun as the original 249 does.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Putting myself in the shoes of a potential customer and trying to be objective; I like the idea, but I can see one big problem. That is trying to compete with all the other 10/22 mod kits out there that are a lot cheaper, in an environment where 1. money is tight and 2. gun buyers seem to be spending a large percentage of what money they have on handguns, centerfire EBR's, and ammunition.

I would put it this way. Right now there's the Krinker Plinker AK-lookalike kit out there for under $300, the Archangel AR-lookalike kit that Promag just came out with for around $200, Sportsmans Guide was selling a plastic MG-42 lookalike kit for around $100, all the Tapco, Butler Creek, etc. stuff, just to name some. While none of these are going to be as nice as what you are proposing, my fear would be that in the case of a 10/22, a "fun gun" if you will, folks will go for the cheaper kits in a sense of "that's enough for a 10/22 and I have other stuff I want to buy before it might get banned."

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Yes, I know the price is not for the budget minded so much, but the cool factor is awsome. Being a 07/SOT, I can't wait to see the looks at the range when I put together my demo, and it shoots full auto to boot! :party29:

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Hey I understand. I am forced to be a cheap s##t every day, because the gun business doesn't pay all that well. But atleast it's fun!

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD
    Shew would that ever sell!!! but I don't know how it could be possible using the 10/22 receiver. Now a possibility would be to build an entirely new rifle that would be a belt fed 22lr that looks like a M249. I have considered that, but the cost would be high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom