Interesting Talk to with Moco police officer today about country directives w/ ccw

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    What are they doing when they run the gun SN? Do they have access to your info to know that gun is registered to you?
    Assuming they are just running it through dispatcher, it is a stolen check only. You'd have to contact the Gun Center to know if a gun is registered to someone. That is a much longer process then a simple stolen check.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Just the edited part above is at least 1.5 conversations , each with multiple contexts .

No , refusing direct instructions to exit vehicle has no upsides .

IF , you are packing , and up until that point you had been discreetly not voluntarily disclosed your gun & permit status , it would be wise & prudent to disclose so , Before exiting vehicle . ( Not saying the Statute requires it , just that it is Wise & Prudent . If you've been awaiting further development to decide to disclose , this is it .)

Once outside , feel free to stand on your 4A . Don't consent . but don't physically resist .

Esculate ? The context has now changed . It is given that you are being inconvienced . Talking your way out of a citation is no longer on the table .

Get vehicle searched anyway with your saying No ? Even if somehow arrested for * something * , you will be unlikely to be Convicted .
    Agree 100%.

I would also encourage folks to consider getting the encounter on video for yourself.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Assuming they are just running it through dispatcher, it is a stolen check only. You'd have to contact the Gun Center to know if a gun is registered to someone. That is a much longer process then a simple stolen check.

I think this is agency dependent. My dispatcher could not tell me registration but anyone working the station desk could check registration.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    What are they doing when they run the gun SN? Do they have access to your info to know that gun is registered to you?

There is NO requirement to have your carry gun registered to you, or registered at all for that matter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    “I have nothing illegal” is another reply I’ve seen used, and recommended.

Yes, never offer any form of consent, jokingly, sarcastically, or any other way, to avoid creating an affirmative defense for their actions. At that point, the less said, the better.

Of course, all this sounds good being typed here. My last encounter was being pulled over by PSP for a cooler on a hitch haul obstructing my plate. I was armed. It was dark. I had a buddies 13 yr old along. (who at that moment was on the phone with her aunt, my goddaughter, a deputy sheriff, who was an hour behind us in the highway) I turned on the interior lights, rolled all the windows down, explained to her why I did that, and had my DL, REG, and INS cards in my hands, on the wheel, as the officer approached. I was polite, the stop brief, with a warning.

I answered just enough questions, briefly, to understand the reason for the stop without admitting guilt, to judge the officers attitude, and try and convey that we were not a threat.

I do understand that if ordered out of the vehicle, all passengers must comply due to PA v. Mimms. I was glad it didn’t get that far. At the point of a Terry frisk I would have informed of my weapons. Other than that I see no reason to escalate.
    The bold statement above is worth repeating. Police and Troopers ask questions. They dig. That's what they do. Using the bold statement above as a common response as they question the contents on your person or in your vehicle is a wise thing to do as you also decline their requests to search your vehicle.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Driving is a privilege, not a right. Registration of your vehicle is public information, required to be posted on the outside of the vehicle.
    Gun ownership is a right.

If I’m reading this correctly, the data linked to a vehicle’s license plate is accessible to the public?
    Not sure I would trust the public with that much data. Lol.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Is there a "Laptop center"? "Wrist watch center"? "Cell phone center"? Since we are checking for stolen. A firearm is a piece of property just like anything else. My laptop or watch would be more PC to check because they are things that would be in plain view. Just start handing everything with a serial number to them along with your DL and insurance.

Sooooo, when do the "Stolen gun checkpoints" start?

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    If I’m reading this correctly, the data linked to a vehicle’s license plate is accessible to the public?
    Not sure I would trust the public with that much data. Lol.
    Yup, you can walk into the MVA and pay the fee to get any vehicle information you want.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    How do you know?
    Because a friend of mine called MSP LD to notify that his pistol was stolen, and I clearly heard the employee state that the pistol was now marked as stolen in their database. He also notified WCSO 2 hours after it was stolen too. All MSP LD does is pull you up in the computer, and clicks a box that says that serial number was reported as stolen. Beyond that I don't know if they broadcast it to the feds or not.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    If you report your Hi Point as stolen, and then find it two weeks later under some dirty lingerie in your laundry room, can you have it REMOVED from the stolen guns list?

Asking for a friend.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    In the late ‘80s I had a S&W Model 19 stolen from the trunk of my car at the Timonium gun show. I reported it and made an insurance claim which was paid.

About twelve years later I received a call from Baltimore County Police asking if I wanted my gun back! It turned out the revolver was recovered in a drug raid three weeks after being stolen…but before the serial number was entered into the NCIC stolen gun database…so when recovered there was no hit on it.

Years later BCPD was going to destroy a number of guns in evidence after all appeals ran out. It was their protocol to run serial numbers again before destroying them and that’s when the hit came up.

I got my revolver back…no damage but had been test fired to see if it might have been used in a crime. I did have to go through the 7-day wait and background check again before I could take possession. I was told the gun would be taken out of NCIC but also to keep the paperwork in case I sell it and it missed being removed from the system.

Additionally I contacted the insurance company to find out what to after them paying off on the claim. They let me know I owed them nothing but if the piece was stolen again they wouldn’t pay off a second time.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    In the late ‘80s I had a S&W Model 19 stolen from the trunk of my car at the Timonium gun show. I reported it and made an insurance claim which was paid.

About twelve years later I received a call from Baltimore County Police asking if I wanted my gun back! It turned out the revolver was recovered in a drug raid three weeks after being stolen…but before the serial number was entered into the NCIC stolen gun database…so when recovered there was no hit on it.

Years later BCPD was going to destroy a number of guns in evidence after all appeals ran out. It was their protocol to run serial numbers again before destroying them and that’s when the hit came up.

I got my revolver back…no damage but had been test fired to see if it might have been used in a crime. I did have to go through the 7-day wait and background check again before I could take possession. I was told the gun would be taken out of NCIC but also to keep the paperwork in case I sell it and it missed being removed from the system.

Additionally I contacted the insurance company to find out what to after them paying off on the claim. They let me know I owed them nothing but if the piece was stolen again they wouldn’t pay off a second time.
    wow crazy. Glad you got it back in good shape

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Don't give Montgomery County lawmakers any ideas. "IF IT SAVES JUST ONE LIFE!!!".

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk
    An aside, I laughed hard when the DUI checkpoints set up right in front of my station on Conn Ave... to catch the drunks running out of DC up conn ave... originally they blocked access to the firehouse, we had to talk to the supervisor about that lol

PTPGun.com

MD Concealed Carry Instructor- QHIC
    Industry Partner
    Dec 10, 2018
    Maryland
    Yea, I spoke to my trooper buddy after he watched this and he said he wouldn't have done that. I am guessing it is independent leadership at each barracks that would determine whether this happened. Even though this guy was training, don't use me for your on the job training.

I guess the big question for me is, can you deny the request to "run the gun" ? For me I'm already on side of the road in danger of being hit by an idiot. And now you want to handle guns unnecessarily on the side of the road?
    You can deny them consent to search and seize your property, see 4th amendment. Their LT also confirmed this through their legal department

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom