• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    It has been a hot debate for a long time at local gun stores why online gun stores are cheaper than local gun stores. Here is why:

1. Will an internet-only gun store allow you to touch and feel multiple guns, without you buying anything? No.
    2. Can you call an internet-only gun store and talk to someone for 45 minutes about which gun would be best for you? No.
    3. Can you call an internet-only gun store and have them explain the process of buying a gun in Maryland? No.
    4. Can an internet-only gun store provide you with the training you need to get your HQL? No.
    5. Does an internet-only gun store have to pay for a Trader’s License in Maryland (a.k.a. “tax on products so they can be on display”)? No.
    6. Does an internet-only gun store have to pay Personal Property Tax in Maryland (to the tune of thousands of $$ each year)? No.
    7. Does an internet-only gun store have to pay Maryland State Police for every handgun they transfer? No.
    8. Does an internet-only gun store have to pay knowledgeable sales staff in their storefronts to answer your questions? No. (see #9 below)
    9. Does an internet-only gun store have a storefront? No.
    10. Do internet-only gun store stock guns? No. They dropship from other suppliers.
    11. Do internet-only gun stores have to pay for theft/fire insurance for your guns? No. (see #10 above)
    12. Does an internet-only gun stores have to have commercial real estate to operate their business? No.
    13. Will an internet-only gun store walk you through maintenance, safety and operation of your new gun at the point of sale? No.
    14. If you have questions about your new gun, can you call the internet-only gun store and have an armorer or gunsmith help you? Maybe, but you can't take the gun to them and be shown how to operate it.
    15. If you have a problem with your new gun, can you take it back to an internet-only gun store to have it fixed? No. First you call them to get an RMA, then you ship it back, wait 6 weeks to get it back, and have to pay for shipping.
    16. Do internet-only gun stores ship your gun to a local gun store within 2-3 days? Rarely.
    17. Do internet-only gun stores inspect your gun before transferring it to make sure it functions properly and nothing is broken? No. They have it shipped without even touching the box. (see #10 above)

If you looking for some “yes” answers, here they are:

1. Do internet-only gun stores sell old stock (sometimes 2-3 years old)? Yes.
    2. Do internet-only gun stores sell manufacturer refurbished guns as new? Yes. They know the return process is horrible and count on you not calling them.
    3. Do internet-only gun stores wait weeks to get enough orders before fulfilling them from their supplier? Yes.

We go through an awful lot of trouble to make sure our store is clean, safe and staffed with knowledgeable people who can answer all your questions and walk you through the gun buying process. We pay a LOT of money to Baltimore County, the State or Maryland and the Federal Government to be able to operate our business (and "fees" keep going up).

If you would like to save money by buying your guns online, by all means, please do so. We'll be more than happy to do the transfers. If you're not sure which gun to buy, call the place you're going to buy it from and ask them questions. You're giving your money to them - make them earn it.

3 ...
    2 ...
    1 ...
    Let the bashing begin...LOL

Scottysan

Ultimate Member
    May 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the synopsis... Great info to keep in mind!
    And, even if they don't have it in stock, many of our IP's can order what we want pretty quickly.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    Do educated customers stand to benefit in any way by overpaying for a gun they know they want in store versus transferring it? NO!

Clearly the online gun store business model is working.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Do educated customers stand to benefit in any way by overpaying for a gun they know they want in store versus transferring it? NO!

Clearly the online gun store business model is working.

Would you go to Walmart and ask to see 5 different types of toilet paper, spend 45 minutes of an associate's time asking questions, knowing full well you're going to buy your toilet paper from Amazon? Why not?

If you know what you want when you walk in the door, I'll give you a discount. And I'm talking about walking in and saying "I'll take that Ruger 10/22 please." then doing the paperwork.

The online gun store model works quite well. No arguments from me there. I was trying to point out the differences between online and local gun stores.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Would you go to Walmart and ask to see 5 different types of toilet paper, spend 45 minutes of an associate's time asking questions, knowing full well you're going to buy your toilet paper from Amazon? Why not?

If you know what you want when you walk in the door, I'll give you a discount. And I'm talking about walking in and saying "I'll take that Ruger 10/22 please." then doing the paperwork.

The online gun store model works quite well. No arguments from me there. I was trying to point out the differences between online and local gun stores.

I applaud your effort T.F. but certain people can never be reached. They don't get it and never will until they NEED a brick and mortar shop or work behind the counter themselves and deal with these kind of people first hand.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    Or when locally the price is MSRP, but everywhere else there's a lower 'street price'. That's my biggest thing, but that's what haggling is for.

We definitely sell less than MSRP. I consult the online retailers to see what they are charging, then price my guns accordingly.

And maybe the haggling causes the price to be MSRP, knowing people will haggle for lower prices. Do you haggle Giant for lower prices on milk?...LOL

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    We definitely sell less than MSRP. I consult the online retailers to see what they are charging, then price my guns accordingly.

And maybe the haggling causes the price to be MSRP, knowing people will haggle for lower prices. Do you haggle Giant for lower prices on milk?...LOL

This is why shops charge what they do, they know that no matter the price people will haggle so they mark them higher. When you give rock bottom prices people still try to haggle and then act insulted when you can't lower the price more. If you price it too high they claim you are ripping people off.

I hate haggling and hagglers, especially people who haggle just because they enjoy it. When I shop I buy what I can afford and the price is the price. The only time I haggle is when buying a car and I make it simple. I say, I can afford 20k for your brand of vehicle, can you put me in one at that price? If they say yes I pull out a certified check from my credit union. Done deal. If they can't make the deal I don't get offended after all they know their overhead, In don't.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    While I see what your going for here and no one can blame a little self promotion I have purchased many firearms online, specifically a highly regard one based in MD that pokes all kinds of holes in OPs theories......just saying.

peace

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2011
    AACo
    I applaud your effort T.F. but certain people can never be reached. They don't get it and never will until they NEED a brick and mortar shop or work behind the counter themselves and deal with these kind of people first hand.

And brick and mortar shops need customers to survive.

I've heard every IP in MD that I've visited complain about how BudsGuns is going to be the end of them, but I've never seen anyone other than Engage Armament resort to selling things online, and they only use Gunbroker. The margins are tight, the competition is fierce, yet people are still making money....

Is there a need for in-store gun stores? Absolutely. There are tons and tons of uneducated potential customers. Its your inherent RISK of operating a business where you don't screen every person that walks in the door that someone will come in and waste your time. The same is true for almost every retail business offering.

Until they day when all dealers in MD unite and refuse external transfer(Never gonna happen IMHO) there will always be someone willing to work with "US" and transfer a gun. You don't sell an exclusive product, you don't offer an exclusive service, Are we supposed to buy from you because we like you? For the "customer experience?" At the end of the day I worked hard to earn my dollars just like you are and I don't want to waste them just to buy from one store versus another.

I don't envision small gun shops surviving and I'm okay with it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

I've heard every IP in MD that I've visited complain about how BudsGuns is going to be the end of them, but I've never seen anyone other than Engage Armament resort to selling things online, and they only use Gunbroker. The margins are tight, the competition is fierce, yet people are still making money....

Is there a need for in-store gun stores? Absolutely. There are tons and tons of uneducated potential customers. Its your inherent RISK of operating a business where you don't screen every person that walks in the door that someone will come in and waste your time. The same is true for almost every retail business offering.

Until they day when all dealers in MD unite and refuse external transfer(Never gonna happen IMHO) there will always be someone willing to work with "US" and transfer a gun. You don't sell an exclusive product, you don't offer an exclusive service, Are we supposed to buy from you because we like you? For the "customer experience?" At the end of the day I worked hard to earn my dollars just like you are and I don't want to waste them just to buy from one store versus another.

Ignorance is speaking. Everyone take heed.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill

While I don't want to see the demise of local shops and small business I do understand capitalism. I feel this thread is borderline butt hurt since millions and millions of dollars are spent online everyday on firearms related purchases that would otherwise have gone to local businesses. Its a case of evolve or loose. There will always be a need for local resources but welcome to the world of competing with ecommerce.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Do internet-only gun stores even know MD gun laws?

Tyler, I get it ... you aren't complaining about capitalism or displaying butthurt ... you are just trying to educate those who don't understand the brick and mortar business model. No matter how much effort you put into it, the majority will never understand.

t84a

USCG Master
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2013
    West Ocean City, MD
    I believe in local gun shops. All but one of my firearms were bought at a LGS. The one exception was a purchase from Joe Bob when inventory and time were running short last year. I used my same LGS for the transfer.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I try to buy everything from local ffl's. If they know you have an addiction and will see several times a year they will give you deals close to online IMHO. You get to feel and evaluate much better. I don't even shop big box stores. The FFls in my area have supported me and I will continue to support them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom