• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vacationer72

Mar 6, 2012
    florida/maryland
    I am a new member and part time resident of Maryland who's domicile is in Florida. I own several firearms including handguns and have a Florida Concealed Carry permit. I am planning on bringing one or two of my currently owned handguns into Maryland and keep them in the vacation home I own on the Eastern Shore. I am uncertain as to any registration requirements that might be involved in doing so and will welcome any advice on the subject.

Copper

Shock Trooper In Stooper
    Jan 26, 2012
    Welcome, if your guns are registered to you in FL then you do not have to register them here. Also your FL CCW does not count here. Make sure to have your guns empty, locked, and separated from ammo before entering MD.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The only guns which are required to be registered in Maryland are machine guns.

The Maryland State Police has a Database of in-state transfers of handguns and some scary-looking longguns, which many people mistakenly call "registration".

When you bring your legally-owned handguns with you to Maryland, you are not required to enter them into the database. However, you can voluntarily enter them, if for some odd reason you want to.

As far as transport of handguns, while many will say they need to be locked in the trunk, etc, that's not in the law. They need to be unloaded, in an enclosed holster or case, with ammunition seperate.

Best to keep your handguns out of sight. I transport to and from the range with cased or holstered pistols in my range bag, with ammo, even loaded mags sometimes in the range bag with them. Of course, I've never been pulled over while transporting...

You can't routinely ride around with a handgun, although it's legal to keep an unloaded rifle or shotgun in your vehicle (subject to some game law restrictions). Handgun transport is to and from a place of sale or repair, formal or informal target practice, between residences, to a dog obedience class, or, if you want to argue that you're a bona fide collector, you can transport all or part of your collection to a public or private exibition.

Maryland laws are deliberately vague and confusing. Assume any policeman who finds you transporting a firearm will not be up on the laws. There's a real possibility your guns would be confiscated. So it's best to keep a low profile.

You can't buy or transfer magazines over 20 rounds in-state, but you can "buy 'em by the bagfull" out of state and bring them here for your personnal use.

Please join Maryland Shall Issue.
    http://marylandshallissue.org/

We are making real progress.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from Dundalk!
    Take a look at these links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Helpful Hints Video[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maryland Ranges[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MDS Logo Gear[/FONT]

swinokur

In a State of Bliss