• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    I have one other box, same lot. Everything seems to be normal in that one. I'm just writing off that single round and gonna go have fun.

Did the box that had the bad round in it, show any damage? I have, occasionally, ended up with a round like that when somewhere in the shipping/delivery process, they dropped the package. The box with the bad round in it showed a crinkle where the bad round was located. (That's why I like the overpack option that some vendors offer. It provides better impact protection.)

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    :bowdown:

When a bullet gets pushed back like that, it reduces the volume of the combustion chamber, raising pressures. That cartridge is like a .380 loaded with a 9mm charge behind an abnormally heavy bullet for a .380 case...what could happen?
    This^^ Either pull the bullet or render the round unusable. No way I would shoot that one. Be safe.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    This is one of the many reasons why I don't like passing out reloaded ammunition. My quality control is good for me but I will not be ingraining into you that it is acceptable to take possession of reloads from anyone else.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Got a case of 9mm from Freedom... a couple rounds in a box were pressed in like those in the OP... Called them and they sent me another box(50 rounds) without a question. No... I did not shoot them.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I've honestly never seen a pistol bullet that looked that bad. I've seen rifle rounds at work that have been chambered so many times that they're set back. We discard those when we spot them.
    some of those Baltimore pics showed a few like that... Guess always the first to chamber...

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    I heard that joke as "what;s the most popular pick up line in a gay bar? Mind if I push your stool in"
    A gay coworker told me that one.
    a ghey friend of mine also stated you can fit more gheys if you flip the stool upside down.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    If you have a kinetic bullet puller, a couple of taps and you'd be able to scoot the bullet out to where its supposed to be. BTDT.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    There’s all kinds of stuff on line about variation of chamber pressure with bullet seating depth and distance from start of rifling. I don’t really care about the details, for me it‘s enough to know that chamber pressure changes when bullet seating depth changes. I would never shoot a round like the second one pictured.

When I was loading and unloading frequently, I would line up the first few cartridges in the magazine and any that were low got discarded. It only takes a few times slamming a round into battery before the bullet started getting pushed down into the casing.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    :bowdown:

When a bullet gets pushed back like that, it reduces the volume of the combustion chamber, raising pressures. That cartridge is like a .380 loaded with a 9mm charge behind an abnormally heavy bullet for a .380 case...what could happen?
    I noticed the same thing when calcing my 145 grain 9mm rounds in GRT. I typed in a seating depth lower and the pressure shot right up.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I noticed the same thing when calcing my 145 grain 9mm rounds in GRT. I typed in a seating depth lower and the pressure shot right up.

Nine and forty are both higher pressure pistol cartridges to begin with. It is said in Speer #10 that they have discerned an example where 9mm pressure more than doubled, to north of 62,000, with a bullet seating depth change of .030 inch. For those whose mind's eye works better with tape measure scale fractional graduations, that's just a tad shy of 1/32 of an inch. Most folks won't eyeball that variation quickly, or without some really close and purposeful scrutiny. Most would more properly need a caliper to discern that small a difference.

The lesson from Speer for loaders is that seating depth most definitely matters, and it matters with these 2 wildly popular pistol cartridges in particular. And to leave or correct mistakes on the bench. The lesson for those who don't load is to inspect ammo. And when in doubt, throw it out.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    a ghey friend of mine also stated you can fit more gheys if you flip the stool upside down.

How ghey is it if it was your .40 cal that was pushed in? :(

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    1700957863045.jpeg

1700957910311.gif

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013