• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Ok, I just picked up a ruger American ranch bolt gun in 350 legend

I sighted it in today and it shot very good with super sonic 180 grain Winchester super x.

But it shot absolutely great with 255 grain subsonic Winchester hollow points.

So my question is, will that subsonic round be ok for deer? Mostly woods shooting. Maybe a field shot may come up occasionally but I would not try anything outside 100 yards with this round.

What do y’all think?

I have time to sight it In again with the 180’s (which is easy enough, 30 clicks up) if the subs are not adequate.

Oh yeah, I was shooting it suppressed and those subs are sweet!!! And even the supers are plenty hearing safe

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Not enough muzzle energy. The bullet will likely not open up and will carry very little shock value.

You could kill a deer with that, but you would more likely wound one. It's all about shot placement. Heart shot or neck shot.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Not enough muzzle energy. The bullet will likely not open up and will carry very little shock value.

You could kill a deer with that, but you would more likely wound one. It's all about shot placement. Heart shot or neck shot.
    Yeah that’s my worry. I will probably resight it in to double check with the supers Friday morning and still use my can.

Although I hate dipshits shooting the day before deer season lol

Shot placement in my “stand” wouldn’t be a problem. But if my dumb ass tried a field shot it could be.

I just had to ask and get some opinions

Thanks brother

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I think the Hornady Sub-X bullets are designed to expand at low velocities. Not sure how the Winchester Super Subsonics would do. Even with the Sub-X I wouldn't trust it for anything except a perfect broadside shot.

Not legal in Maryland anyway since it doesn't come close to the 1200 ft-lb of muzzle energy required for rifles.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I think the Hornady Sub-X bullets are designed to expand at low velocities. Not sure how the Winchester Super Subsonics would do. Even with the Sub-X I wouldn't trust it for anything except a perfect broadside shot.

Not legal in Maryland anyway since it doesn't come close to the 1200 ft-lb of muzzle energy required for rifles.
    Thanks for the info! Looks like I will be doing some more shooting Friday.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    Think a 9mm 147 is a good deer round? I don’t, but it will definitely kill one.
    No, I don't either. A .22lr will kill one, too, with a perfect shot. Doesn't make it an good/ethical choice, either.

I do think there are issues with the MD muzzle energy rules, though. A subsonic 425 gr Maker bullets from a 450 bushmaster doesn't make 1200 ft-lbs and isn't legal to hunt with, but if I chopped off 2.5" from the barrel and put a brace on it, a 290 gr subsonic bullet could make the 700 ft-lbs required of a pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom