• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    I think these are thin under the handguard so they are not H-bar barrels. Not good for post 13 builds

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I thought someone had mentioned you can call them and get an HBAR instead of an A2. Call and ask.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The upper is legal. It's when you mate it with a lower that it becomes a big problem.

Only if the lower was purchased on or after 10/1/13. Can buy any uppers you want (ignoring NFA stuff) for lowers you owned before 10/1/13.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    ea3df7d11bb3e99e8ca7603730fa16fa.500

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD
    Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, this would be for a post 10/1/13 lower. I'm pretty sure this barrel is the same profile/diameter as a Colt A2 HBAR but I guess if it's not marked HBAR or advertised that way it would be a no go. Ridiculous Maryland laws, but gotta play by their rules til I escape from the evil regime!
    I'm finding that HBAR barreled uppers in .556 are harder to come by at budget build prices. Lots of deals on M4 contour barrels.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Thanks for the replies. I should have clarified, this would be for a post 10/1/13 lower. I'm pretty sure this barrel is the same profile/diameter as a Colt A2 HBAR but I guess if it's not marked HBAR or advertised that way it would be a no go. Ridiculous Maryland laws, but gotta play by their rules til I escape from the evil regime!
    I'm finding that HBAR barreled uppers in .556 are harder to come by at budget build prices. Lots of deals on M4 contour barrels.
    I’m pretty sure that this is thinner beneath the Handguard. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-stainless-steel-5-56-nato-1-8-barrel-assembly.html

Feb 28, 2013

What’s it look like under the handguard? Couldn’t tell ya nuthin’ without knowin’ that.

If its .750” from the barrel nut out to the gas block, it’s good.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    77932252.jpg

.750 from the gas block out (.730 actually). Unable to mount a flare launcher. IMO you are GTG. And as mentioned above, engrave or stamp HBAR on it before you assemble and you are golden.

red_

Dec 4, 2016
    I found a 16” barrel on PSA, stamped:
    “HBAR PSA 1/7” or some such... without it shamelessly stamped so obviously across the finish, I wouldn’t even bring it in my house. This is an 80% build too, so there’s no chance of the receiver being stamped. However, it’s possible you could have one of those compliance etchings done to advertise the HBAR- and it better be one!!

All in all, I ended up with a 16” carbine, telescoping stock, a bunch of standard mags (purchased by driving to Charles Town), and all legal. Of course that is an absolute standard setup (minus the “ghost” part), but Maryland loves their, er... “standards.”

If you live in Maryland, then you know better than to even consider tiptoeing through technicalities. Move to WV! Do not be the test case. Cheers and good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crasher

I thought someone had mentioned you can call them and get an HBAR instead of an A2. Call and ask.

I've asked about HBAR barrels or uppers back in stock, they said as late as 2 weeks ago they have no info and no plans any time soon.

I'm in the same boat regarding a build as 'red' above me, and my last few questions to PSA were about the barrel in the link he posted.

That's the barrel I need for the build, and I haven't found anything approximating it for less than several hundred dollars more, or needing to have the front gasblock sourced and sent to someplace like ADCO for additional steps.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I've asked about HBAR barrels or uppers back in stock, they said as late as 2 weeks ago they have no info and no plans any time soon.

I'm in the same boat regarding a build as 'red' above me, and my last few questions to PSA were about the barrel in the link he posted.

That's the barrel I need for the build, and I haven't found anything approximating it for less than several hundred dollars more, or needing to have the front gasblock sourced and sent to someplace like ADCO for additional steps.

Just keep checking back. I bought that barrel from PSA just without the sight for $75. Swapped my sight onto it and drilled / reamed the holes once aligned and all was good..

PS, ended up cutting down the original carbine barrel for a pistol build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom