is it regal to have shotgun/taser for home defense weapon in AA County?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKAMinK

Oct 26, 2014
    is it legal to have shotgun/taser for home defense weapon in AA County?

Hi, I'm totally gun noob and I googled for hours and hours to find Maryland and AA County gun laws and information but I couldn't find the answer and was hoping if someone can help me out with this issue.

My questions are

Are these(shotgun/taser) weapons are legal to own in AA County? (I live Severna Park 30+ years old no mental illness no criminal history)
    Do I need any kind of registration or license to have shotgun/taser at home?

Severna Park area has very low crime rate but just want to have something to protect my wife from any kind of risk.

Thank you for any advise:)

Last edited:

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena
    This only addresses the "Taser" portion of your question. "Taser" is the trade name of a specific device. MD law refers to them as electronic control devices...

MD statute:
    CRIMINAL LAW
    TITLE 4. WEAPON CRIMES
    SUBTITLE 1. GENERAL PROVISIONS

Md. CRIMINAL LAW Code Ann. § 4-109 (2014)

§ 4-109. Electronic control device

(a) Definitions. --

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Crime of violence" has the meaning stated in § 14-101 of this article.

(3) "Electronic control device" means a portable device designed as a weapon capable of injuring, immobilizing, or inflicting pain on an individual by the discharge of electrical current.

(b) Requirements for possession or use. -- A person may not possess or use an electronic control device unless the person:

(1) has attained the age of 18 years; and

(2) has never been convicted of a crime of violence or a violation of § 5-602, § 5-603, § 5-604, § 5-605, § 5-606, § 5-613, or § 5-614 of this article.

(c) Prohibitions. -- An electronic control device may not be sold and activated in the State unless:

(1) an instructional manual or audio or audiovisual instructions are provided to the purchaser;

(2) the manufacturer maintains a record of the original owner of the electronic control device; and

(3) the manufacturer or seller has obtained a State and federal criminal history records check of the original owner to ensure compliance with subsection (b)(2) of this section.

(d) Access to manufacturer's records. -- A manufacturer of electronic control devices shall provide an investigating law enforcement agency with prompt access to the manufacturer's records on electronic control devices and cartridges sold in the State.

(e) Penalty. --

(1) A person who violates subsection (b) of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 2 months or a fine not exceeding $ 500 or both.

(2) A person who violates subsection (b) of this section while committing a separate crime that is a crime of violence is guilty of a felony and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 3 years or a fine not exceeding $ 5,000 or both.

(f) More stringent requirements by local governments allowed. -- This section does not prohibit a local government from adopting a restriction or requirement concerning the possession of an electronic control device that is more stringent than the requirements of this section.

AA County Code:
    § 12-6-105. Electronic control devices.
    (a) Definition.In this section, “electronic control device” has the meaning under § 4-109 of the Criminal Law Article of the State of Maryland.
    (b) Permitted. A person who meets the State requirements for possession of an electronic control device may possess an electronic control device.
    (c) Violation. A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction shall be subject to the penalties set forth in § 9-1-101 of this Code.
    (Bill No. 18-13)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I don't know about a shotgun/taser but I think having guys standing outside in bearskin hats is about as regal as you can get.

tonioaj

#thepewpewlife
    Aug 20, 2013
    Pasadena, MD
    My understanding about taser are that there banned in certain city's i know Annapolis and baltimore city postal service won't ship to. But every place else in maryland is ok.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I don't know about a shotgun/taser but I think having guys standing outside in bearskin hats is about as regal as you can get.

This is quite regal as well.

Attachments

• regal.jpg
      regal.jpg
      99.7 KB · Views: 189

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Here's a Regal home defense option: the Enfield L85.

queen1.jpg

http://www.guns.com/2013/05/08/the-l85-british-bullpup-the-last-enfield/

You do not need any license to buy or keep or transport a shotgun. Basically, if you have a clean record, you fill out a federal form 4473, show your identification, and the dealer does an instant background check with the FBI by telephone. Assuming the background check comes back okay (takes 5 to 20 minutes), you pay your money and take the gun home the same day.

Do get some training, such as the NRA's Personal Protection in the Home. Check the Industry Partners section of this forum for training opportunities. It's your responsibility to educate yourself about the awesome responsibility you're assuming.

I've always thought a Taser was a horrible option for civilian self defense. Assuming you get a good hit, and your attacker is down, what then? Cops use them as a preliminary to the handcuffs. Do you have back up to handcuff your home invader? Or will he tear out the darts and come for you? Then you'll wish you had a shotgun (or an L85)!

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Anne Arundel County legalized electronic control devices in 2013. Harford County did the same earlier this year. The places where they remain illegal in Maryland are:

Annapolis (yes this is inside of AACO but there are no preemption laws): Ord. § 11.44.070
    Baltimore City: § 115
    Baltimore County: § 17-2-104
    Howard County: § 8.404
    Edit:
    Everyone keeps saying Ocean City bans them too, and this is probably likely, but I've yet to find a specific ordnance saying that. (I've seen § 58-162 cited, but I can't verify that online.)
    Confirmed thanks to Gary at www.handgunlaw.us who provided the exact link:
    Ocean City § 58-162
    and the exact URL is: https://www.municode.com/library/md...IPR_ARTIIIOFINPUSA_DIV4ELWE_S58-162SAPOELWEPR
    Quoting:
    Sec. 58-162. - Sale or possession of electronic weapons prohibited.

(a)

Prohibitions.

(1)

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm, corporation or other entity
    to sell give away, lend, rent or transfer to any individual, firm,
    corporation or other entity, an electronic weapon within the limits of
    Ocean City. It further shall be unlawful for any person to possess,
    fire, discharge or activate any electronic weapon within the limits of
    Ocean City.

a.

Exceptions. Subsection (a) of this section shall not apply to:

(i)

A public safety officer acting within the scope of the officer's
    official duties; or

(ii)

A homeowner possessing same in the confines of the home. As used
    herein homeowner means the owner or tenant, spouse and relatives, over
    the age of 18 residing therein. Homeowner does not include tenants or
    guests residing or staying for periods less than one year.

(iii)

A person in lawful possession of a State of Maryland concealed weapon permit.

(iv)

The sale, rental or transfer of an electronic weapon to a department,
    office, or agency of Ocean City.

(2)

It shall be unlawful to possess an electronic weapon during the
    commission of a crime.

(Ord. No. 2009-14, 7-6-2009)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads