• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    I went to on target saturday and rented their 1911 Kimber. I'm not sure which model it was, but I know it was a 1911 Kimber in .45. This was the second Kimber 1911 that I've shot. I'm a pretty bad shot...or so I think. I own a Sig P229 stainless elite that I normally use to practice. I have a hard time keeping shots on the paper. So when I shot the first Kimber, it was a buddies CDP Pro II, I noticed I was much more accurate with it than with my own P229 that I've been shooting for a few years now. After renting the Kimber at On Target, I'm starting to think I shoot better with a Kimber 1911.

My question for MDShooters is, Am I shooting better because the gun is a Kimber or am I shooting better because the gun is a 1911?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    hmm.. i own p229.. have shot 1911 kimber (i think thats what scar let me shoot one time). i have no problem hitting the target on both..

maybe the way you holding the grip?? or ammo you using?? so many factors that can make the p229 not shoot well.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    hmm.. i own p229.. have shot 1911 kimber (i think thats what scar let me shoot one time). i have no problem hitting the target on both..

maybe the way you holding the grip?? or ammo you using?? so many factors that can make the p229 not shoot well.

Hmm, that may be a thought. I have switch the ammo multiple times, so I don't think it's an issue with the ammo. Although, I have been having an issue with the screws from the grips coming loose. I would constantly have to retighten the screws after shooting a few mags.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Hmm, that may be a thought. I have switch the ammo multiple times. I have been having an issue with the screws from the grips coming loose. I would constantly have to retighten the screws after shooting a few mags.

079340242005lg.jpg

;)

kwaters4

Aug 14, 2012
    Fallston
    preference?

in my opinion they are really nice guns, both kimber and sig. i would favor sig but do you think its just that the kimber is "easier" for you to shoot over the sig? i like the kimber alittle more but thats only because i love the look and feel of 1911, plus kimber makes an awesome gun.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    It is probably the trigger. The trigger on the P229 is much longer than the Kimber or any 1911. That can trip people up.

TBH if you are off the paper you probably have a bad habit ot two that is preventing you from shooting better. Do you know any good shooters that can help you out?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    thinking about it.. sig 229 is double stacked magazine versus the 1911.. maybe the grip itself.. are you comfortable with the grips on 229 or does it feel like its too big?

mrozowjj

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2008
    Seattle-ish WA
    From what I hear about Kimber's quality control lately I'd place more import on the 1911 design itself rather than specifically that Kimber being that much more accurate. That said the rental gun has probably been shot a lot more than your sig has so the parts have probabaly worn in all the right places to make that 1911 trigger pull even smoother.

Having said that what distances are you shooting at?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Too many variables to say for sure. Could be as simple as the size and shape of your hands and fingers working better with a 1911. Could be in your head, maybe from the feel of the Sig's long revolver-like trigger and trying to anticipate the firing point versus the 1911's shorter and lighter block-o'-metal trigger. You're talking about two very fine handguns. There's nothing wrong with either choice, or both.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I can't explain it any more than some people shoot one gun better than another. I have a Glock and a Taurus that I can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with. I have a Beretta, a Ruger, and several other guns, that I am pretty accurate with. Yet I have a friend that can shoot my Taurus very well, but not my Beretta. It is just how it is and I accept it.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    It's the 1911.
    My 1911 is my favorite handgun to shoot. They just have a nice grip, balance, and overall feel.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have a Glock and a Taurus that I can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside with.

Sad to admit, since I love 'em, but I'm the same way with 1911s. From 25ft offhand, I probably have trouble hitting a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I think my fingers are too short for the grips and frame. With other handguns I have, especially small- and medium-frame revolvers, there's no problem hitting an 8"x11" sheet of paper from 25ft offhand.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    Different guns fit different people. I shoot alot better with my 1911 then my 226, but the Glock falls somewhere in between. Just means I can justify more practice time.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    in my opinion they are really nice guns, both kimber and sig. i would favor sig but do you think its just that the kimber is "easier" for you to shoot over the sig? i like the kimber alittle more but thats only because i love the look and feel of 1911, plus kimber makes an awesome gun.

I love the way the sig looks, and am not really a fan of how the 1911 looks. But it seems like I'm going to have to let the 1911 grow on me some more.

It is probably the trigger. The trigger on the P229 is much longer than the Kimber or any 1911. That can trip people up.

TBH if you are off the paper you probably have a bad habit ot two that is preventing you from shooting better. Do you know any good shooters that can help you out?

It has a short reset trigger. It's very short. I had a few other shooters try my gun and they are about as accurate as I am. I will say I'm not the best shot in the world and could very well have bad habits preventing me from shooting better.

thinking about it.. sig 229 is double stacked magazine versus the 1911.. maybe the grip itself.. are you comfortable with the grips on 229 or does it feel like its too big?

I think I have pretty big hands. I'm not so sure that's it.

From what I hear about Kimber's quality control lately I'd place more import on the 1911 design itself rather than specifically that Kimber being that much more accurate. That said the rental gun has probably been shot a lot more than your sig has so the parts have probabaly worn in all the right places to make that 1911 trigger pull even smoother.

Having said that what distances are you shooting at?

25ft.

Too many variables to say for sure. Could be as simple as the size and shape of your hands and fingers working better with a 1911. Could be in your head, maybe from the feel of the Sig's long revolver-like trigger and trying to anticipate the firing point versus the 1911's shorter and lighter block-o'-metal trigger. You're talking about two very fine handguns. There's nothing wrong with either choice, or both.

I think I'll try both. :)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Depite what some of the disgruntled people say - Kimber makes a very accurate 1911. Mine is a pretty darn accurate gun, and pretty much anyone who has shot it, that knows how to shoot a 1911, agrees.

My bro in law came up to Deep Creek a few weeks ago, and brought his carry H&K pistol. He shot my Kimber, and loved it - he shot far better with that gun then his HK. He is an experienced pistol shooter, and has carried when he was in VA for a bunch of years. He had no issues nailing a 4 inch spinner at 25 yards consistently- in additon to cutting tiny groups at normal pistol ranges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom