• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    A nicked crown isn't going to keep you from hitting the paper at 25 ft, unless you are shooting at a very small piece of paper. It's possible your sights are off on the Sig, or it could have some other problem; have you had another shooter try it out? It is possible the 1911 fits your hand better, no matter what size your hand is, and the 1911 trigger is the best there is.

If you shoot at Myrtle Grove, I can meet you there and help you with your shooting if you wish.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    It's not that I'm missing the paper completely. I'm just not making a whole. With the Kimber 1911, I was making a hole very easy. Honestly, I'm starting to think that the gun just fits my hand better.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    It's not that I'm missing the paper completely. I'm just not making a whole. With the Kimber 1911, I was making a hole very easy. Honestly, I'm starting to think that the gun just fits my hand better.

"making a hole"? You mean you aren't shooting your group? Like shooting out a fist size circle like most can from 7 yards? With enough ammo, anyone can make as big of a hole they want :)

I like people who fire 100 rounds at the same target from 7 yards and say " Look at my group"! ;)

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    "making a hole"? You mean you aren't shooting your group? Like shooting out a fist size circle like most can from 7 yards? With enough ammo, anyone can make as big of a hole they want :)

I like people who fire 100 rounds at the same target from 7 yards and say " Look at my group"! ;)

hey now.. its 50 rounds!! :lol2:

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville

But... I don't want to have to go change the target...

iobidder

1 point'er
    Nov 11, 2011
    Everywhere
    Try this....:D

super-soaker-50.jpg

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009

I was judging by using mags. 12 rounds through the P229 and 8 though the 1911. I was using the NRA match silouettes targets. A majority of the rounds were in the 'x'/'10' areas and a few in the 9 when I was shooting with the 1911. When using the P229 I had 2 in the 'x'/'10' while the rest were in the 9, 8, and 7 range.

Here's the target that I used

Speaker2Wolves

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 27, 2012
    A nicked crown isn't going to keep you from hitting the paper at 25 ft, unless you are shooting at a very small piece of paper. It's possible your sights are off on the Sig, or it could have some other problem; have you had another shooter try it out?

He did have another shooter try it out, with the same results.

It could be the sights, but that would mean you should be placing consistent groups (even if off the paper.) If you and all of your buddies can't get consistent groupings, i.e., you can't find a way to compensate by changing the sight picture, then it may be the barrel.

PS: If it is the barrel, it might not be the crown, could be the barrel isn't locking properly as the weapon cycles? Or not.

Last edited:

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I find that if I shoot my Glock first I suck with my 1911 later. Just hard to transition after 100 rounds of whatever you use first. New trigger, grip, etc

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I find that if I shoot my Glock first I suck with my 1911 later. Just hard to transition after 100 rounds of whatever you use first. New trigger, grip, etc

Same, I can't transition between my dads 19 and my fnp9 without sucking horribly. Though, interestingly enough, no problems at all between my mark iii 22/45 and the fn

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Gotta say.....grip is a concern, but if a gun is accurate and as long as you have front sight and smooth trigger regardless of grip, rounds should land with relative accuracy.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Gotta say.....grip is a concern, but if a gun is accurate and as long as you have front sight and smooth trigger regardless of grip, rounds should land with relative accuracy.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

I can go from two radically different firearms (S&W Model 27 and Glock 17) with only a modest change in accuracy. I agree that grip is a concern. I have to consciously change my way of thinking and gripping when I switch guns.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I don't know much about the 229 sport, but could this not be just the fact that a Kimber (and all 1911s) have a great trigger, especially compared with lots of other handguns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom