• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    It's because it's a 1911. 1911's are easier to shoot well with limited practice. The 1911 has a linear trigger with short travel; that makes it easier to keep on target (less movement during the crucial sighting phase.)

Can a Glock be just as accurate? Absolutely, but it will require a lot more practice.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    It's because it's a 1911. 1911's are easier to shoot well with limited practice. The 1911 has a linear trigger with short travel; that makes it easier to keep on target (less movement during the crucial sighting phase.)

Can a Glock be just as accurate? Absolutely, but it will require a lot more practice.

See, that's funny, cause I actually can't shoot a 1911 all that great. I must be one of the rare few. I think it's because my paws are so big, single stacks rarely fit me very well.

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    He did have another shooter try it out, with the same results.

It could be the sights, but that would mean you should be placing consistent groups (even if off the paper.) If you and all of your buddies can't get consistent groupings, i.e., you can't find a way to compensate by changing the sight picture, then it may be the barrel.

PS: If it is the barrel, it might not be the crown, could be the barrel isn't locking properly as the weapon cycles? Or not.

Well, I didn't want to impugn the abilities of his friends whom he had shoot it already, but if they are testing accuracy at 7 yards, I was hoping he might find someone who shoots a little further than that. It is easier to assess a handgun's qualities at 25 or 50 yds.

Since he is hitting on the paper after all, it is most likely a matter of trigger, as mentioned by several folks, and possibly the 1911 is a better fit in his hand than a double stack. I assume all his rounds are fired SA, rather than DA on the first then SA, which would obviously cause a larger group.

Glocks will never shoot quite as well as 1911's, which is why you will never see a Glock at a bullseye competition, unless someone is clowning, but other handguns can be shot nearly as well as 1911's, although it takes more effort, much more effort in some cases, to shoot them well.

Shooting 50 rds at a target isn't always bad, and especially when you have long periods between target changes at a range, you have little choice but to shoot a lot of rounds at the same target or stand around waiting. One method is to shoot 50 rds at a 6" target at 25yds and try to keep all 50 in the circle, although you could change the circle size or distance to increase or decrease the difficulty.

Another technique I have found useful is to put a target on to shoot at, then when I go down to replace the target, I put the new one directly over the old one and continue shooting. After you've shot 4-5 cycles doing that, you can take the top target off and see how your bottom target looks, see if you are consistently dropping low and left, or spreading them around, or whatever. It gives you a good overall assessment of your shooting, and it works for rifles as well.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    Well, I didn't want to impugn the abilities of his friends whom he had shoot it already, but if they are testing accuracy at 7 yards, I was hoping he might find someone who shoots a little further than that. It is easier to assess a handgun's qualities at 25 or 50 yds.

Since he is hitting on the paper after all, it is most likely a matter of trigger, as mentioned by several folks, and possibly the 1911 is a better fit in his hand than a double stack. I assume all his rounds are fired SA, rather than DA on the first then SA, which would obviously cause a larger group.

Glocks will never shoot quite as well as 1911's, which is why you will never see a Glock at a bullseye competition, unless someone is clowning, but other handguns can be shot nearly as well as 1911's, although it takes more effort, much more effort in some cases, to shoot them well.

Shooting 50 rds at a target isn't always bad, and especially when you have long periods between target changes at a range, you have little choice but to shoot a lot of rounds at the same target or stand around waiting. One method is to shoot 50 rds at a 6" target at 25yds and try to keep all 50 in the circle, although you could change the circle size or distance to increase or decrease the difficulty.

Another technique I have found useful is to put a target on to shoot at, then when I go down to replace the target, I put the new one directly over the old one and continue shooting. After you've shot 4-5 cycles doing that, you can take the top target off and see how your bottom target looks, see if you are consistently dropping low and left, or spreading them around, or whatever. It gives you a good overall assessment of your shooting, and it works for rifles as well.

If he were to shoot it at 25 yrd....it would have proved nothing. If he were able to blow the 'x' out at the same distance I was shooting at, it would have proved that I was the issue.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The way I prefer to verify a pistol or handloads accuracy, is to use a pistol rest - to eliminate as much human factor as possible. Even experienced shooters can make a mistake when offhand shooting. A rest can also help verify if the pistol needs its sights adjusted/drifted.

When I first bought my 1911 - it hit way low on paper. My model has fully adjustable sights (60 inch radius), and the sights were adjusted all the way down from the factory. No big deal - I adjusted the pistol to my own handloads, and hits where it should if I do my part.

You may want to see if the range you rented that pistol from has a rest you can use, and verify your pistols POI.

a216vcti

Cliff
    Oct 19, 2009
    The way I prefer to verify a pistol or handloads accuracy, is to use a pistol rest - to eliminate as much human factor as possible. Even experienced shooters can make a mistake when offhand shooting. A rest can also help verify if the pistol needs its sights adjusted/drifted.

When I first bought my 1911 - it hit way low on paper. My model has fully adjustable sights (60 inch radius), and the sights were adjusted all the way down from the factory. No big deal - I adjusted the pistol to my own handloads, and hits where it should if I do my part.

You may want to see if the range you rented that pistol from has a rest you can use, and verify your pistols POI.

You think this Caldwell is a good rest?

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    You think this Caldwell is a good rest?

A Caldwell is fine. I happen to use their Pistolero which is for handguns (I use different rests for rifles) The Pistolero looks like this:

Midway USA puts these on sale every once in awhile - I actually bought that rest for $13 on sale- and it goes in the thrities normally. It is height adjustable, and the coated rest that the butt of the grip rests on - is also adjustable forwards & back. They are very handy for checking a pistol - you just need to make sure you use the same grip and hold for each shot.

Also make sure you check your pistol design, to make sure the lower portion of the slide does not touch the rest, so that it can freely move back when you fire a round. Just move the pistol more forward in "V" rest part of the rest. With 1911's you will need to do this. We used this rest a few times at our Hooligan shoots to check pistols, and it does its job nicely.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    1911 just naturally goes to what you point at! And the heft makes it easier to keep on target. Best I ever shot was with a well worn Colt marked "U.S.Calvary 1914".

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    A Caldwell is fine. I happen to use their Pistolero which is for handguns (I use different rests for rifles) The Pistolero looks like this:

Midway USA puts these on sale every once in awhile - I actually bought that rest for $13 on sale- and it goes in the thrities normally. It is height adjustable, and the coated rest that the butt of the grip rests on - is also adjustable forwards & back. They are very handy for checking a pistol - you just need to make sure you use the same grip and hold for each shot.

Also make sure you check your pistol design, to make sure the lower portion of the slide does not touch the rest, so that it can freely move back when you fire a round. Just move the pistol more forward in "V" rest part of the rest. With 1911's you will need to do this. We used this rest a few times at our Hooligan shoots to check pistols, and it does its job nicely.

I have almost the same model, I quite like it.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville

I have a model very close to that, I like it a lot.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Kinbote

Aug 17, 2010
    A rest might be a good idea; usually sandbags work fine and are pretty cheap, or you can make your own cutting the legs off a pair of jeans, filling them with sand and sewing the ends shut. I shoot better from the offhand than I do from a rest because I have a lot more experience shooting offhand, but someone who benches it a lot will almost always shoot better than someone shooting offhand.

If your friend usually shoots at 7 yds, he can still be jerking the trigger and pulling it off target enough to spread his rounds across the target. Just because he can keep a 1911's rounds in one hole at that distance doesn't necessarily mean he can keep a Sig's rounds in one hole at that range. I don't know how experienced a shooter he is, but you might want to get another shooter's opinion on your Sig. It has been far more common, in my experience, to find accuracy problems in the human than the weapon.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    It's about grip angle, trigger pull, how the gun is gripped, and practice, practice practice!

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Loose nut behind the wheel so to speak ;) that's what my mechanic keeps telling me. Hope you keep hearing " front sight n smooth trigger" in your sleep. :)

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom