• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I bought a varmint upper from Fulton Armory about 8 years ago and the young guy that did the work insisted on installing and lapping the rings for me. (no charge)

Whether not it is necessary probably depends upon the quality and dimensional fidelity of the upper receiver and rings. I could definitely see where he polished the high spots down on the inside of the rings.

My guess is that for most shooters, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Not necessary in most cases if you inspect for defects and mount carefully. However if I was mounting a $1000 scope I would take the extra precaution.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) NOT needed with quality rings.

2) If you lap aluminum rings, you remove the hard coat anodizing, exposing the softer base aluminum alloy. NOT good.

3) Don't over torque your ring screws. It seems that is a very common way to damage a scope. 15 inch pounds for the rings, 50 inch pounds for the rings to the base.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If the rings are lapped, it makes the inner surfaces close to perfectly round. Otherwise you risk imperfections in anodizing on the inside of the rings damaging the finish on your scope. Lapping ensures that the rings get a much truer hold on the scope across the entire inner circumference of the rings (versus a few high spots creating high-pressure points on your scope). That said, quality rings should be good out of the box. Even so, would you risk skipping it with a $500 scope? or a $2,000 scope? Up to you.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I know several competitive shooters and of a for olympic shooter and they all swear by it.

Is it needed for everyone? I doubt it but I can certainly see how there can be benefits from it.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I found that rings milled at the same time from the same block of material do not need lapping. Vortex (seekins) and NF make there rings this way.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    You don't need to lap your rings if your base is perfectly straight, your rings are aligned and they are concentric to each other. I learned my scope mounting practices from e.shell and always lap my rings. Good rings require less effort than cheap rings.

I've gone to using Warne rings and bases exclusively. I haven't replaced older sets, but anything new is Warne. I perceive them to be a good value.

I haven't lapped any rings yet. I have thought about buying a tool, just to see if it takes off some high spots. I presume back in the day when receivers were drilled and tapped by smiths, that lapping was more essential. Or with a receiver that has poorly drilled and tapped holes from the manufacturer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Lapping the rings is only half the mating surfaces. Just as rings can have imperfections so can the scope tube, there are variations and tolerances in any manufactured item. So to get perfect alignment you would have to lap both rings and tube and that isn't going to happen. Make your decision based on the quality and cost of your particular components and what you are mounting it on and what you will use it for, a .22 rimfire for plinking vs a high dollar big game rig for a once in a lifetime African safari. Do what you feel comfortable with it is your equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom