Is the HQL still required to purchase handguns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    I teach HQL classes, and because my costs are below average rates, I allow the student to do the application on their own. Recently, I had a student who had a few questions about the process, and it got me thinking about what someone has to go through to obtain an HQL. The training is essential. Otherwise, I wouldn't be doing it; however, the application fee, waiting period for approval, and the process as a whole seems unfair to the Maryland taxpayer.

What was wrong with the old "watch the video" to get the permit to purchase? I didn't learn anything new in my CCW class I didn't see in that old video. The only real difference was having a live instructor which you could ask questions and range time.

What makes the training essential when other states have gone to Constitutional Carry and haven't had issues? Are we up to 27 or 28 States that now have some form of Constitutional/Permitless Carry?

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    What makes the training essential when other states have gone to Constitutional Carry
    The fact that the DNC has gun control as a base tenet of their platform and MD is under almost complete control by DNC pawns.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Back before HQL I thought I recall MD had you watch an online video or something before you purchased a handgun. It was free and discussed some basics. I learned nothing new but I believe that disappeared when HQL came?

My son had MD hunting safety course but it was before he was 18 I think and he still had to do HQL safety course. I also thought TX hunt did not count for MD HQL cause it had no live fire?
    Whatever , hope it’s all moot now.

I have friends who won’t get HqL but want a modern pistol. They all can shoot just fine and already are safe gun owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    Back before HQL I thought I recall MD had you watch an online video or something before you purchased a handgun. It was free and discussed some basics. I learned nothing new but I believe that disappeared when HQL came?

My son had MD hunting safety course but it was before he was 18 I think and he still had to do HQL safety course. I also thought TX hunt did not count for MD HQL cause it had no live fire?

I have friends who won’t get HqL but want a modern pistol. They all can shoot just fine and already are safe gun owners.

I can understand your friends not wanting to get an HQL as Ive seen many on here who haven't purchased a handgun in years because they refuse to do so either. While I totally disagree with the HQL, I almost feel that refusing to get one is exactly what they hoped for when they implemented it. Anything that keeps otherwise qualified people from buying guns is a win in their book.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    The fact that the DNC has gun control as a base tenet of their platform and MD is under almost complete control by DNC pawns.

I'm going to disagree. IMHO, HQL training was bogus. Did it really do anything more than the video one used to have to watch to get that permit to be able purchase a handgun? I don't think so. It's more BS to deter people from exercising their rights.

If the DNC or anyone wants to push gun control, they're barking up the wrong tree because criminals don't care about laws. So they can go kick rocks! If by gun control, they mean gun safety, then the State should offer free voluntary classes. Maybe sweeten the pot by saying if you take our free class and pass, the 7 day wait on the 77r won't be required.

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky

I still have the paper permit from watching that video. It's actually pretty good and what they went over wasn't much different from my CCW class.

jmiller320

Ultimate Member
    Aug 7, 2008
    Havre de Grace
    I took the original training at the police station. They put on a video that basically told you: Never point a gun at anything you don’t intend to shoot. Always assume that the gun is loaded. Always check and double check to make sure it isn't loaded. Then it repeated those messages for a half hour. I was one of the Maryland residents who was infringed by the new law and refused to accept the infringement. 13 years after the infringement went into effect after doing some research I learned that I was exempt from the training and applied for an HQL. It cost me the fingerprint fee for my fingerprints that are all ready on file with a number of unknown three letter agencies. They claim that they don't keep them and they are only good for 2 or 3 months. Add to that the HQL Fee and I'm out $100.00 plus my time. No to mention the money I would have spent supporting the local firearms dealers.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    It has been said by MDS posters on this site hundreds of times, and now by the judge in his decision in this matter, as follows:

"Further, federal and State firearms laws are quite complex, and their full range and interplay are well beyond the scope of this decision."

Taken from near the bottom of page two of the opinion.

"...quite complex...." Does that comport with "...shall not be infringed."?

The entire gun control schema is designed to discourage and even thwart Americans from possessing arms. It's not about reducing crime, although that's how they sell it because consumers of that sales pitch are too stupid to understand that is neither the motive behind the effort, nor that it will not (has not) work.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    After reading over the HQL decision, I believe that that decision could be used to do away with the 7-day waiting period before picking up your firearm.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I still have the paper permit from watching that video. It's actually pretty good and what they went over wasn't much different from my CCW class.
    Me too. And back in the day, Florida accepted that impressive looking card as handgun training to get your carry permit.

70Sevens

Jun 4, 2013
    lets hope it does away with that wait time as well.
    I asked this in another thread but would the finger print requirement go away too? To me that is the most insulting part of the HQL crap...to be treated like a criminal for trying to exercise your 2A rights.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    It did, but it will probably come back.

My son had MD hunting safety course but it was before he was 18 I think and he still had to do HQL safety course.
    He shouldn't have to take any additional training since the Hunter Safety suficed.

I also thought TX hunt did not count for MD HQL cause it had no live fire?
    Under State Statute, any hunter safety training was acceptable, wether or not it has a live fire component or not.

Then the law worked exactly as they designed it.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I asked this in another thread but would the finger print requirement go away too? To me that is the most insulting part of the HQL crap...to be treated like a criminal for trying to exercise your 2A rights.
    HQL training - gone
    Finger print requirement - Gone
    HQL application - Gone

It's ALL gone, it really is that simple.

Cool_Moo5e

Sep 4, 2023
    Harford
    I forgot about that part but let's hope handguns are cash and carry with out any other BS involved

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom