• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    So my father in law who retired to WV 2 years ago got a letter today, the first letter about the issue.

Turn out they did not update their record that we purchased the property so they sent the tax bill to previous owner. $160 but the owner told them he paid his portion of the taxes until he no longer owned it but here is the contact for the new owner, they said 'ok thank you'. The office NEVER reach out to us to get the remaining tax paid. But since it was never paid, a lien was placed on it. The lien was then sold Nov 2021 in a government auction. Now we have until April 2023 to pay $3000( interest, cost of sale conducted by sheriff office) or else they will award the land to the person that won the auction.

This is basically blackmail or official LEGAL bribe. We get no notice of ANYTHING until now. So now I'm calling around trying to get this resolved, might even need a lawyer. I don't care if someone going to eat this, but its NOT going to be us.

Just ranting....thank you.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Was an attorney involved in your fathers purchase of the property?*

Yes, you’re much more than likely going to need to consult (*A DIFFERENT) attorney on this matter … I would make that a priority after obtaining some word-of-mouth recommendations from any neighbors or locals you have gotten to know …

what county?

Individual Sheriffs exist by county not state

ETA: this makes about half a dozen “woe is me” experiences I have heard about following real estate settlements in WV, all involving money owed that one party (either buyer or seller) were never advised of, at settlement …

Last edited:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    So my father in law who retired to WV 2 years ago got a letter today, the first letter about the issue.

Turn out they did not update their record that we purchased the property so they sent the tax bill to previous owner. $160 but the owner told them he paid his portion of the taxes until he no longer owned it but here is the contact for the new owner, they said 'ok thank you'. The office NEVER reach out to us to get the remaining tax paid. But since it was never paid, a lien was placed on it. The lien was then sold Nov 2021 in a government auction. Now we have until April 2023 to pay $3000( interest, cost of sale conducted by sheriff office) or else they will award the land to the person that won the auction.

This is basically blackmail or official LEGAL bribe. We get no notice of ANYTHING until now. So now I'm calling around trying to get this resolved, might even need a lawyer. I don't care if someone going to eat this, but its NOT going to be us.

Just ranting....thank you.
    Suggest you contact the title company first.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That seems to be normal. You need to go to the SD if you buy something. They don't come and track you down. Same with cars. You don't get a bill, it's expected that you know to contact them for an assessment and to pay your tax.

And yes, thats how tax lien sales work. It's a form of privatized tax collection.

Your dad didn't receive good advice when he purchased.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    That seems to be normal. You need to go to the SD if you buy something. They don't come and track you down. Same with cars. You don't get a bill, it's expected that you know to contact them for an assessment and to pay your tax.

And yes, thats how tax lien sales work. It's a form of privatized tax collection.

Your dad didn't receive good advice when he purchased.
    Agree with you on that. He bought it from a family friend, was ready to walk to city hall with a hand written note for a deed then hand the guy cash. Glad we pressure him to go use a title company.

Updates: turn out the property is actually 2 parcels. The title company only escrow tax payment for the parcel with an actual address, not the one attached to it. I'm glad we got owner title insurance too. Now its all about hot potatoes with who going to pay.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    'Tax lien investor' is a job description. If you know what you are doing it's good return on investment. You need some cash at hand. You research the properties that have a high likelihood of the owner paying up. You bid on the lien and once you have it start the collection process. You typically work in tandem with a low rent Starbucks office attorney versed in the process. As you have learned, the money is in the fees, interest and attorneys fees you are allowed to collect.
    For the most part , the investor is not interested in acquiring the landlocked parcel behind your dad's house. His interest is to buy the lien, get your dad to pay the fees and interest on the day before he gets the title and close the transaction out. He usually doesn't want the land.

It's a bit of a slimy business and in these parts you better wear a vest and watch your back if that is what you make your money with. Btw. those are the tax collectors Jesus was talking about.

Huuman

Jul 20, 2019
    'Tax lien investor' is a job description. If you know what you are doing it's good return on investment. You need some cash at hand. You research the properties that have a high likelihood of the owner paying up. You bid on the lien and once you have it start the collection process. You typically work in tandem with a low rent Starbucks office attorney versed in the process. As you have learned, the money is in the fees, interest and attorneys fees you are allowed to collect.
    For the most part , the investor is not interested in acquiring the landlocked parcel behind your dad's house. His interest is to buy the lien, get your dad to pay the fees and interest on the day before he gets the title and close the transaction out. He usually doesn't want the land.

It's a bit of a slimy business and in these parts you better wear a vest and watch your back if that is what you make your money with. Btw. those are the tax collectors Jesus was talking about.

That's was what first came to mind when all this started. Someone somewhere is profiting on poor people. I would not like a job like that, but I do wonder if sometimes you can hit the jackpot on large hunting lands. I would honestly be tempted to bid/buy good whitetail lands, not to make a profit, but to use.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The poor people know that on Sept 1 you gotta pay the tax man come hell or high water. If you have to take your truck down to the 'the city' to get a title loan so be it. Borrow, sell some pain pills anything.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    OP. Well that story is an eye opener for me. WV......Gods country? Never thought about such things. OTOH, you mention "they" never recorded the Sale change, and/or never updated the records so "they" could sent the appropriate share of your dads tax liability. Did your Dad
    know about his share of the taxes at settlement? Does he have his copy of settlement papers?
    Or was this an "over the fence, hand shake deal?. Tax splits for buyer and seller are usually part of settlement. Real Estate office involved?

Who is "they"? Sheriffs office, County Tax office, etc etc? Seems to me if you have any paperwork proving the sale, or how about a Deed? If it were I, I'd be calling a Lawyer,
    like yesterday, and getting in touch with the previous owner. Too many loose ends.
    How can one prove "not receiving a letter from anybody" I don't know, what I do know
    USPS is no "real Time" help.....like months to settle a complaint. Best of luck to you and Dad.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just kinda weird that nothing was mailed to, or posted at, the property. whether the original tax owed, the final notice/creation of a tax lien, the county selling and the company buying the tax lien, the company contacting the owner at the property to get paid, etc.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Who is "they"? Sheriffs office, County Tax office, etc etc?

In most of rural WV , the Sheriff IS the Tax Collector , and virtually everything else also . The " Tax Office " at the Courthouse is one , maybe two people.

The good side , is you can call on the phone , and speak with THE Person in charge of Taxes . The bad side is that things can sometimes literally fall between the cracks .

" Everbody 'round here knows what & when to expect " can fall apart for newcomers in their first tax cycle , until the cycle of bad things sets in .

The original mix up at Tax ( Sheriff) Office was probably human error .

The Tax Lien process is pretty much how it works everywhere .

bcr229

FFL/SOT
    Jul 15, 2011
    Inwood, WV
    A lawyer will charge more than $3000 to fix this.

Your father should be getting tax returns from the county that he has to fill out and send back by October 1 each year. He needs to list all real estate he owns on it, as well as vehicles for personal property tax.

Bear in mind that just because the property deed was updated at the records office doesn't mean the tax assessor's office was notified; they are two different parts of the county government.

If your dad doesn't get a local newspaper of record he should start; the landowners who haven't paid their real property taxes are listed every six months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom