Is there a competitor to Brownells for tools?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteveO

Apr 1, 2016
    I've been underwhelmed by Brownells. Their website doesn't always tell you if something is not in stock and the customer service, both trying to track down an order from the website and calling in is average at best. They also take an eternity to process and ship anything. But I can't seem to find things like quality gunsmith tools anywhere else. Amazon has some products but they always have poor customer ratings. Midway doesn't seem to compete with them either. For things like quality screwdrivers, bits, punches, etc... what is the go-to beside Brownells?

Gskwared

Supreme Being
    Feb 4, 2013
    Carroll County
    I only buy a few Gunsmithing tools but the few I have I bought from zoro.com
    I believe it is a division of grangier and I can find better quality tools there that are made in America. I would rather spend a few extra bucks on a quality set now rather than buy another set next year.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    mscdirect.com is a machine shop supply house that will have quality general tools and supplies. You can get the best industry offers or lesser quality, you just have to remember you get what you pay for.

Brownell's used to be my go to supply house for specialty tools and gun parts but not not so much. There is just something about them I don't care for anymore.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Not really. Midway carries some good stuff but overall no one has what brownells does. About half of my AR tools come from brownells, the other 10% from midway, 10% from amazon, and the rest are custom.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I've been underwhelmed by Brownells. Their website doesn't always tell you if something is not in stock and the customer service, both trying to track down an order from the website and calling in is average at best. They also take an eternity to process and ship anything. But I can't seem to find things like quality gunsmith tools anywhere else. Amazon has some products but they always have poor customer ratings. Midway doesn't seem to compete with them either. For things like quality screwdrivers, bits, punches, etc... what is the go-to beside Brownells?

Just curious........ what do you consider "an eternity"?????

I've ordered a BUNCH of stuff from Brownell's, as well as MidwayUSA, along with Natchez, MidSouth Shooter's Supply and PSA.

The ONLY place that takes "an eternity" to ship, is Palmetto State Armory, no matter what it is.

Brownell's has been FAST for 99.9% of the stuff I've ordered.

Just my not-so-humble opinion.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've had good luck with Brownell's. Some stuff they carry is hard to find anywhere else. They're not always great on price but if they're the only ones that have it in stock, you have to suck it up and move on.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    My advice: avoid Midway. They are back to their old habit of zero packing material. I received an order from them today. No packing material. Box of ammo with the order is completely destroyed. Loose, damaged ammo everywhere. I called them about it and was as polite as possible. Customer service guy still gives me a hard time and wants to run it through UPS even though it's 100% Midway's fault for terrible packing. I just emailed Midway photos as proof. I never get this crap from Brownell's, Cabela's, or Primary Arms.

Antietamgw

Sep 1, 2011
    Washington County
    Brownells are good folks, been dealing with them for over 40 years. Try getting knowledgable tech support on parts or tooling from somebody like Midway. If you have a problem with an order or a shipment, they tend to make it right. I don't buy everything thru them but they are competitive. Now that they have a partnership with Sinclair, you can get quality accuracy reloading tooling as well as the tech support to back it up. Real gun folks, not just marketing gurus hawking whatever is popular right now. If we don't support them, other than the manufacturers who will sell direct, who are we left to deal with?

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    Grace USA has some limited tool sets for gunsmithing. They are high quality USA made with lifetime warranties. I've been happy with mine and only use them for gun stuff. Keep the tool pile segregated... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom