Is there a suit to fight Maryland's onerous 16 hour training requirement for W and C?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As a permit holder for years, the 16 hours is not excessive and in fact it should be much more. As a former leo I would think you went through substantially more training to become competent.

I am for the right to carry but the idea of a bunch of untrained people running around scares me. I voluntarily went through substantially more training to become as proficient as possible. In fact have a buddy that just got his permit and they didn’t even train on actively drawing from concealment….ridiculous.
    Blood in the streets? Wild West?
    16 hours is excessive and the 8 hours for renewal is ridiculous.
    "I am for the right to carry, but..." GTFOH with that statist ********

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    As a permit holder for years, the 16 hours is not excessive and in fact it should be much more. As a former leo I would think you went through substantially more training to become competent.

I am for the right to carry but the idea of a bunch of untrained people running around scares me. I voluntarily went through substantially more training to become as proficient as possible. In fact have a buddy that just got his permit and they didn’t even train on actively drawing from concealment….ridiculous.
    Here's the thing... No one cares what 'scares' you. A right is a right and it is unconstitutional to require special training or skill to exercise a right. Don't like it? Tough. 50% of the country is permitless carry so your fears are unfounded.

Last edited:

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The fact that people are allowed to vote without ever taking a political science or economics class scares me.

Blackbeard

Jan 1, 2019
    A proficiency requirement would be fine as well. You have the right to drive, but every state requires passing a driving test and don’t hear anyone protesting that. General lack of knowledge on candidates/voting is how we got where we are.….

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    A proficiency requirement would be fine as well. You have the right to drive, but every state requires passing a driving test and don’t hear anyone protesting that. General lack of knowledge on candidates/voting is how we got where we are.….
    one is an enumerated right, the other is not

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    Which one of the bill of rights covers driving?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Nobody has a 'right to drive'
    Driving is a privilege.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You know the old Lincoln saying

“Better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you a fool than to open it and remove all doubt”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD

The difference is that as an LEO, you are/were reasonably expected to run towards the danger and engage it.

As armed citizens, our primary purpose of carrying is to defend ourselves from immediate attacks on ourselves. There's a lot more training involved in determining who is the bad guy when you're responding to a call about an armed shooter as opposed to some thug already pointing a gun at you or about to assault you with a knife or baseball bat while walking to your car in a dimly lit parking garage or alley.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hours should not be the metric for skills obtained, testing should be. If there is to be some sort of mandatory minimum set of skills for CCW, then that should be tested for with an objective set of performance standards.

Let's think a moment- what's the proper objective set of performance standards for a journalist permit?
    Or to be licensed to open a social media account (FB, TW, IG, etc)?
    What's an objective set of performance standards for a marriage license to be issued?
    Who should set the objective set of performance standards for a permit to operate as a priest, rabbi, imam or minister of religion?
    Which state agency should determine and administer a test for an objective set of performance standards to become qualified to vote?

What's the proper objective set of performance standards to get a permit (after background check and fingerprints) to run for public office? Shouldn't the winner of any election be required to pass a rigorous examination before being sworn into office?

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore
    The fact that people are allowed to vote without ever taking a political science or economics class scares me.
    1659545660979.png

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    I understand about the exemption for active duty military because they "supposedly" have current training while serving.

What I don't get is that retired miitary don't have to requalify every 2 years with an 8 hour class like the rest of us because they don't have any equivalent requalification training.

If that's the case then they should eliminate the bi-annual 8 hour training requals for the rest of us as well.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I understand about the exemption for active duty military because they "supposedly" have current training while serving.

What I don't get is that retired miitary don't have to requalify every 2 years with an 8 hour class like the rest of us because they don't have any equivalent requalification training.

If that's the case then they should eliminate the bi-annual 8 hour training requals for the rest of us as well.
    Does the military teach you about legal issues related to carrying a handgun in public?

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Let's be honest, the 16 hour training was a shtick the MGA threw in just Incase the state lost G&S through the court and lost all the appeals, whatever, back in 2013.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom