• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    How can I get a rank smell out of an old Beretta pistol?

I've had the thing for a coupla years and clean it well after every shoot (~once every coupla months) and I'm a bit neurotic about cleaning, so it's definitely cleaned before going back into its padded case in the safe. I've even tried cleaning its entire innards with brake cleaner and, still, even though it looks lickity-clean, the next day there's what can only be described as a rank smell coming from the upper magazine well/bore area. It even infects the magazine, which's been disassembled and similarly cleaned more than once.

I'd try bleach, in case there's some type of organic growth, but that'd damage the finish. Anyone have a similar experience or solution?

Dec 6, 2011
    I think the problem may be in the grips. It sounds like you've done all you can with the metal. A wood grip could trap some manner of bacteria or have become saturated with now rancid Ballistol or olive oil (popular on older guns). Or maybe the grips are rubber and it is breaking down.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I think the problem may be in the grips. It sounds like you've done all you can with the metal. A wood grip could trap some manner of bacteria or have become saturated with now rancid Ballistol or olive oil (popular on older guns). Or maybe the grips are rubber and it is breaking down.

I agree, sounds like you've done due diligence with the metal; my guess is the grips.

If you insist on keeping the original grips, you might want to look into wood restoration products to try and save them.

Do others smell this, and if so, are they able to better pin point the smell? Simple test is to remove grips, disassemble gun, keep them separate a few days, then smell each gun part separately.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Thanks guys, but the grips're plastic, have been cleaned and the stench is evident without them. I know it's weird.....but that's why I'm stumped.
    Yes, others've smelled it, too. It's kinda impossible not to.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    If you can manage it, try putting the metal pieces in an oven and heating it for about an hour at 400. The heat will kill any bacteria as well as break down any organic matter that might cause the stink. It'll also drive off any VOC found on the gun.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If you can manage it, try putting the metal pieces in an oven and heating it for about an hour at 400. The heat will kill any bacteria as well as break down any organic matter that might cause the stink. It'll also drive off any VOC found on the gun.

It's an old pistol and the bore smells like old socks, so I doubt it's VOCs. But the heat idea sounds like a plan.
    Thank you!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's being haunted by someone it killed. You could try holy water or an exorcism, though I doubt either would work.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    Friend of mine had the same issue with a s&w 19 used in a suicide. After a thorough break down to the base parts and a ride in a medical autoclave all was well.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    If theres no magnesium parts in the gun take it apart and soak/clean with simple green. rinse off in clean water, dry and oil with your oil of preference. Also look up Clandestine's gun cleaning thread

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    give these a shot. :D

Attachments

• One-Wipe-Charlie2.jpg
      One-Wipe-Charlie2.jpg
      40.5 KB · Views: 258

notguilty

Dec 1, 2009
    Someone must have left some live rounds in it and they died then decomposed. I can bury it for you.:innocent0

redeemed.man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    HoCo
    Thanks guys, but the grips're plastic, have been cleaned and the stench is evident without them. I know it's weird.....but that's why I'm stumped.
    Yes, others've smelled it, too. It's kinda impossible not to.
    Fred, is it only when you are holding it? It might be your hands. Toilet paper works better than bare hands. LOL. Just messing with ya.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    If theres no magnesium parts in the gun take it apart and soak/clean with simple green. rinse off in clean water, dry and oil with your oil of preference. Also look up Clandestine's gun cleaning thread

Did both (as well as ammonia, denatured alcohol, etc.)....didn't help. The current plan is to try oven heat this weekend (I didn't have time this past weekend).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom