• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • airsporter

Apr 28, 2011
    Western MD
    They have the same ugly C.A.I. billboard and paint on the left side of the slide, but at least they are up front about it - mentioning it in the description and showing a pic.

Daddyursus

Trusted Shellback
    Jan 11, 2013
    In a van down by the river
    I'm curious and asking the knowledgable folks on here, if they know what the mark-up is on retail prices of these and other guns. The garment industry is 100% at each level. Furniture and beds are about 400% at retail. I have to believe that J&G, SOG and Classic makes about $100 per pistol. Meaning CAI sold it for $119. Now they are obviously the importers of all the recent P-64s to come to market. What was their cost? If they purchased them in bulk, I guessing $40-50 each.
    This whole rambling is leading to the question..Did they decide that sending the guns out for expensive engraveing get trumped by the need to keep the wholesale price down? BECAUSE it looks like they paid a monkey with bananas to mark these with the import markings

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    My black helicopter take on this is that they (importers) are so sick and tied of the ATF regulations that they said F**K IT and stamped the biggest and ugliest billboard they could find on the guns.

Of course we don't like it, but what do the importers care. They are making their money and they know people will buy them regardless of what the guns look like.

And I'm calling $20.00 bucks a pop to buy them originally.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I do think they will start to care when they see that importer X is getting more for his product and moving it faster than the folks who have a team of methed up primates with jackhammers do theirs.

The free market will come into this sooner or later. They will still sell them but it will take longer and they will get less for them.

Yes, they have to mark them but not re-write the entire book on them in 26pt font.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    These p-64's look like they got the depth wrong on the engraver machine. The location is not ideal, but the depth is what made it so bad. The deeper it goes, the wider the letters get. There's a raised edge from them going so deep and moving so much metal.

It seems that if you are willing to deburr the engraving, not remove, but knock the raised lip off, and have the slide reblued or cerakoted, it wouldn't be nearly as obvious. If you got one with decent bluing, the letters stand out like crazy because of the contrast of the dark blue and the fresh letters.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I suspect that the money is made in importation. Classic/SOG/J&G, at the end of the day, are just FFLs. They aren't making any more money than any other FFL (per gun). Heck, J&G has SKSs they're asking $500 for. I doubt they got those for a song.

Century is probably making the money.

craig357

Apr 26, 2014
    Hi All,
    I'm new to the board and just wanted to share my latest purchase. I've caught the C&R bug, so decided to jump on one of these J&G "billboard" P64's, before they sold out - they were gone in just ~3 days. The condition is better than I'd expected, given their description. Granted, the lettering is big & bright, but the blueing is good with no signs of paint or any other attempts at refinishing.
    The safety was extremely sticky out of the box, but an initial cleaning helped. I'll do a complete breakdown/clean after a range session. This is my 2nd purchase from J&G and so far I'm pleased with their service and representations.
    For comparison is the PP my dad picked up in Germany in 1946, for 2 cartons of cigarettes. One obvious difference is the P64 has a noticeably shorter barrel, and it's also somewhat lighter - I can see why it might be a bit snappy ...

Attachments

• 4-24-2014 049 sm.jpg
      4-24-2014 049 sm.jpg
      94 KB · Views: 279
    • P64 004 sm.jpg
      P64 004 sm.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 279
    • P64 053 sm.jpg
      P64 053 sm.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 288

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    Awesome pics! My dad has a PPK my grandpa traded a candy bar for to a homeless kid in Germany during WWII.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

edhallor

Feb 23, 2010
    Aberdeen
    They have the same ugly C.A.I. billboard and paint on the left side of the slide, but at least they are up front about it - mentioning it in the description and showing a pic.

I talked to a Salesman over at Century who advised that the ownership of Century is making good money, however when you add up the Crating, Shipping, Government Fees, Buildings, Trucking, Fuels and electricity, Fork Lifts, Employees, Advertising, Sorting, Engraving and so on it gets expensive.
    Their money is made in volume sales not the single sales to C&R Holders, one of the reasons they are getting away from C&R, especially to liberal States like Md. where Gun Laws change by the hour. And really who can blame them.
    I've been dealing with Century for over twenty years and still get an occasional purchase through.

As for the Location, Font and depth although he disagrees he claims it is ATF not Century that sets the standard for markings. However once you own the Weapon there are no rules saying you can't remove it.

What we need is a Metallurgist or perhaps Gunsmith advise on a low temperature metal melt or something like the Liquid Steel Home Depot sells that we can use to tone down those small punch holes that make up the Import Mark. Filing the Import Flat is not an option s you would also loose some of the Weapons original markings.

With Century being one of the larger Importers, they can get away with the I don’t give a shi_ attitude when it comes to their Billboard.

What I don’t understand is ATF, if they don’t give a rats ass if you remove the Import Mark, pray tell why they force Importers to destroy the Historic Value of a known collectable weapon, the reason they issue the 03 License in the first place? Sounds like someone got their Di_k caught in their Zipper or hit the wrong hole with their Tampon.

Anyway these are the answers I got from a friend at Century, I can buy the cost factor, everyone from the original point of sale, Governments, Importers, Distributors and all the Employees in-between are in it to make money, including ATF. I highly doubt any one person is making $100 on a $150 Pistol.

Perhaps ATF’s documents, rules and Importer inspections are nothing more than a Government bullcrap excuse to hit the honest collector for a few more bucks, we have all seen them at gun shows inspecting Import Marks or trying to get some poor sap to violate an obscure ATF Rule. I’d rather they just pick my pocket and stop destroying the history of a weapon with bullcrap Import marks they don’t give a rat’s butt over anyway.

On A Rant,
    Eddie O

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom