• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadetree

Feb 5, 2013
    Nottingham
    I searched for this and could not come up with any info on here so sorry if this has already been discussed.

When searching for a nice A5 to add to the collection, I was advised that only the Japanese made A5's not the Belgium would handle steel shot. Can anyone put any truth to this rumor? Thanks.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    The Belgium A-5's barrels were of "softer" steel and not recommended for Steel Shot over the Japan produced A-5's. The early Jap A-5's had fixed chokes as well as choke tubes in later years so if your desire is to hunt waterfowl with a A-5 then choose the Jap A-5 with a barrel with choke tubes. If you have a Belgium A-5 then consider adding a Jap barrel for steel shot, you'll find the barrels will run you a few hundred too. Just an FYI if you buy a Belgium A-5 and a Jap barrel you have a lot invested in that duck gun.

If you choose a 3" A-5 be sure to use higher velocity ammo as the action is recoil operated so needs enough recoil to move the barrel to open,eject & load the next shell. When steel was manadated in 1991 the Belgium 3" mags would not cycle the weak 3" steel, just not enough recoil to operate the gun. Since then improvements in ammo has cured those problems.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    The Belgium A-5's barrels were of "softer" steel and not recommended for Steel Shot over the Japan produced A-5's. The early Jap A-5's had fixed chokes as well as choke tubes in later years so if your desire is to hunt waterfowl with a A-5 then choose the Jap A-5 with a barrel with choke tubes. If you have a Belgium A-5 then consider adding a Jap barrel for steel shot, you'll find the barrels will run you a few hundred too. Just an FYI if you buy a Belgium A-5 and a Jap barrel you have a lot invested in that duck gun.

If you choose a 3" A-5 be sure to use higher velocity ammo as the action is recoil operated so needs enough recoil to move the barrel to open,eject & load the next shell. When steel was manadated in 1991 the Belgium 3" mags would not cycle the weak 3" steel, just not enough recoil to operate the gun. Since then improvements in ammo has cured those problems.

SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

CLOSE THREAD!

mdonzi

mdonzi
    Feb 26, 2010
    pasadena
    Buy what you find they are great guns i have been shooting a belgium mag with full choke with steel for over 20 years still hitting them good

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    They have 2 belgium a5's in 12 gauge shotties at 2A as of yesterday. Minus 1 now because i am picking it up after work.. The one left is 549.00 and in good shape.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I searched for this and could not come up with any info on here so sorry if this has already been discussed.

When searching for a nice A5 to add to the collection, I was advised that only the Japanese made A5's not the Belgium would handle steel shot. Can anyone put any truth to this rumor? Thanks.

An old (1960's, I think) Japanese-made Charles Daly A5 clone was my first shotgun (other than a Savage 24) -- I was probably about 15 when my uncle gave it to me. On the outside, it was very used (abused) when I got it, but it ate everything I fed it (including steel) and never jamed once or showed undue wear. I sold it to help buy a 1894, and the bore was as bright and smooth as the day it was made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom