• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    Anyone collect these? The top one is a second variation NCO and the bottom is a family blade in imperial army officer mounts. If you have one you'd like to share, feel free, I find them fascinating.

Attachments

• DSCF0055.jpg
      DSCF0055.jpg
      60.4 KB · Views: 386

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    The handle of the NCO sword is painted aluminum and the second model hand guard (tsuba) is black iron. The blade is machine made.

Attachments

• DSCF0057.jpg
      DSCF0057.jpg
      62.3 KB · Views: 387

Trbo6gn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    Harford Co.
    I have one similar to the bottom one. It's a Imperial Japanese Landing Forces sword. My grandfather brought it back with him. I even have the original papers that were signed by his commanding officer allowing him to bring it back.

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    The officer's sword is mounted in imperial army mounts using a family blade. I have never been able to identify the maker and taking clear photos of the kanji on the tang is almost impossible. The scabbard is partially covered in a leather combat cover.

Attachments

• DSCF0055.jpg
      DSCF0055.jpg
      66.8 KB · Views: 375

chenny

Sep 19, 2013
    I have one similar to the bottom one. It's a Imperial Japanese Landing Forces sword. My grandfather brought it back with him. I even have the original papers that were signed by his commanding officer allowing him to bring it back.

My grandfather, too, was in the Pacific. That is probably why I have always been attracted to these swords. If you have the time, I'd love to see the example you grandfather passed down to you.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    I have one from my grandfather that was in the Pacific. Looks a lot like you bottom officers sword. Its in damn good condition. At one point I was offered 2k for it but its a family item and not for sale.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Sweet, I have been thinking of getting back into swords of all vintages lately.

Thanks for sharing

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    I find them fascinating but do not collect authentic nihonto but rather Japanese-style swords made by the best Western smiths with modern steels and methods of normalization/heat treatment. The same thing made by a modern Japanese smith would raise the finished price of from $5K-6K to more like $10K-15K.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Cheney, is the mei (kanji) on you family sword complete? Or cut? Have you tried posting pics on the nihonto forum? Those guys know their stuff and may be able to help you identify the sig.

For those that may be interested in getting into collecting and don't know how these are made... NEVER handle the blade of one of these with your bare hands. If it's an oil quenched, mass produced NCO sword, it won't really matter, but if you don't know how to tell, don't touch the blade. One finger tip on the blade for less than a second will start a rust mark that may take $1000-$1500 for a polisher to take out. And every polish shortens the life if the blade.

I have a blade hear that is over 600 years old. Not sure of exact date... Could be much older. It's cut down, Tachi mei, and therefore only has the first two characters of the signature remaining giving me a suggestion of province but not smith.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    Just got this tonight. Made between 1701 and 1710 by a known maker. Blade is perfect with a beautiful Hamon. Leather wrapped Tsuka with all matching silver fittings. I am looking forward to taking care of this Heirloom and using it for testing.

Attachments

• 20140403_230023.jpg
      20140403_230023.jpg
      49.8 KB · Views: 144
    • 20140403_230130.jpg
      20140403_230130.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 134
    Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members