• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    Just bought her yesterday. Bore is in excellent shape it was covered in cosmo so took me some time to clean up. I plan on refinishing the stock. I already own a 91/59 carbine so I figured a 91/30 would be nice to go along with it.

ftljya.jpg

a2b4tt.jpg

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Please consider not refinishing the stock. It looks fine the way it is. That stock looks to be an original prewar stock. As it is now the stock has some historical value as it is in the condition of having just been released from soviet storage, probably after being refinished. It will be difficult to find the correct shellac to use to refinish and anything else you do will be incorrect. That being said, it is yours to do with it as you will, you might want to research what you hope to gain prior to making any irreversible changes.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Another vote for NOT messing with the stock. Take some time and do some research or poking around on the internet before you attempt anything. You'll find tons of stories about people wishing they'd never refinished the stocks when they were n00b's.

Look at it this way- you can always refinish it at a later date. You can NOT put it back to original condition once you refinish...EVER ;)

If you're older brother is 28, then that means you have years and years to decide :thumbsup:

Enjoy all of those new Mosins. You're definitely catching to all of us with as many as you're purchasing lately :D

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    yeah, when I took that one out of the box and saw the stock I almost was like "ummm...nm. This one's going back home with me." Looks good man :)

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Another vote for not re-finishing the stock on pretty near any Mosin. It's like robbing a rifle of its history.

Eh, the guns were modified by those who used them, and it's not as if any Mosin is ever going to be worth a lot. I see the point of keeping it as original as possible, but there's also something to be said for making the rifle look as nice as possible. It's the same argument you see in the classic car world. Keep the car original, or do a restoration and make it look better than new. IMO this argument is rather mute when referring to something as ubiquitous as a Mosin. While it might be a valid point when talking about a Porsche 911 Carerra RSR, or Shelby Coupe; it's not as meaningful when talking about a VW Beetle. :)

BPSballistics

Aug 11, 2012
    Glen burnie
    How can you guys tell its a prewar stock? because the gun is stamped 1940? Just a question. And the only reason I wish to refinish it if you look where the butstock is its faded and the laquer coating is gone also upfront under the barrel its faded with the finish gone. Just figured I would pretty her up to my standards. I understand the whole not hurting the value but I dont really plan on getting rid of the gun ever. It will stay with my 91/59.

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    I just picked up a Tula 91/30 about a week ago from AIM Surplus. First use of my C&R. Check out 7.62x54r.net for lots of good Mosin info/ways to ID your new toy!!

StillServing

I know NOTHING !
    Feb 1, 2011
    Calvert County
    Yup. Been looking at getting one for awhile now and since the C&R came in and I could just buy it and have it shipped straight to the house....that was all the excuse I needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom