• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Well it looks like the I may have purchased the most reliable of any AR47 magazine, that was ever made, from a AR15.com member who had them locked away for over 20 yrs.

I have one, possibly two, Pre-ban 1994 30 round Frankenmags coming!

Just in case you guys dont know what that is. Back in the day they would weld a 10 round AR mag to a genuine AK47 body.They were made by USA mags.

4a345956328c363433d2a0ee5ca6d832_zps5e761ad1.jpg

This pic is just for reference. I found it on the web

The result was a flawless running mag for the 7.62x39 AR platform. (not the prettiest)

The curvature of the AK mags are due to the natural way the rounds tend to line up.

Im still looking for AR Stoner or a Bushmaster 7.62 mag which also are also reliable; which look like curved AR mags.

UPDATE! GOT 2 ON THE WAY!

How did this mags turn out? I have a 7.62x39mm AR pistol upper on order. But i can't find any mags that haven't been reviewed to be almost completely junk. I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet. But It seems that everyone thinks there is a problem with this. If you found any to be reliable please let me know.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    How did this mags turn out? I have a 7.62x39mm AR pistol upper on order. But i can't find any mags that haven't been reviewed to be almost completely junk. I know you can't believe everything you read on the internet. But It seems that everyone thinks there is a problem with this. If you found any to be reliable please let me know.

They shipped yesterday, and Im in the process of building my 7.62x39 pistol

The frankemags are at the top as far as reliability as is the Bushmaster 7.62x39 mags.

I have read everything you have about ASC and C products being a hit or miss as far a functioning properly.

These were not cheap, and they are hard to find. If you can find them...buy them.

I contacted a AR15 member who was selling these in Jan. I followed the response trail, and I saw that the thread never indicated that they were sold. So I emailed him, and got lucky.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Built my first two AR pistols and they are great. So now my thoughts now drift to another caliber for an AR pistol and I want to get thoughts. 50 Beowulf pistol. With that said I have never shot a 50 beowulf so I do not know what kind of recoil to expect or even if they make a short 50 beowulf barrell... Or for that matter if it would even be permitted to be in a pistol configuration by the ATF. Any thoughts everyone?

ArchAngel78

Feb 28, 2010
    Great thread and it will end of costing me a good bit off money.

For all of you building one and buying short barreled uppers, is there any trouble with the ATF since you could in theory put the shorty upper on a lower with a stock?

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Built my first two AR pistols and they are great. So now my thoughts now drift to another caliber for an AR pistol and I want to get thoughts. 50 Beowulf pistol. With that said I have never shot a 50 beowulf so I do not know what kind of recoil to expect or even if they make a short 50 beowulf barrell... Or for that matter if it would even be permitted to be in a pistol configuration by the ATF. Any thoughts everyone?

I have a Beowulf rifle. Kicks like a 20 gauge with buckshot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVtTJqWlxJc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can build a beowulf 50 pistol, the caliber has nothing to do with it.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    For all of you building one and buying short barreled uppers, is there any trouble with the ATF since you could in theory put the shorty upper on a lower with a stock?

No, unlike most other agencies - you are innocent until proven guilty - they assume you will follow the rules - not break them.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Gathering rail ideas for the 7.62x39 pistol...

I was originally thinking of going with the VLtor CASV m

CASV-M-blk-3.jpg

Issues are:

Not in stock.
    Cant co witness because of slight elevation in the top of the rail. (it piggybacks the upper receiver)
    Magpul MOE rear sight doesn't fit.
    You have to basically use a VLtor front sight at and additional cost.

They do however make the CASV S which steps up even higher to accept a EOTech and co-witness the sights. It will accept MOE sights, but the elevation is exaggerated.

images

My other option is to buy a Seekins BAR rail similar to my other builds. I like the partially covered KX3 look.

To get the look that my other builds have I would need a 9" rail, BUT I'm thinking on going with a 10"

This will basically put the end of the rail even with the tip KX3. I dont like the "cut off" look.

However, I would add some additional 5/8 crush washers to "shim" the KX3 outward. Maybe about .25 inches.

I think that look along with the preban AR47/AK frankenmags may look insane..

What to do...I still have time.

Last edited:

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Great thread and it will end of costing me a good bit off money.

No, unlike most other agencies - you are innocent until proven guilty - they assume you will follow the rules - not break them.
    then why are so many people concerned with using a pistol buffer tube instead of a carbine buffer? What really is the difference there? Stock/No Stock or pistol upper on pistol lower/rifle lower.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    then why are so many people concerned with using a pistol buffer tube instead of a carbine buffer? What really is the difference there? Stock/No Stock or pistol upper on pistol lower/rifle lower.

You CAN use a carbine buffer tube.

People, myself included, just use pistol buffer tubes to eliminated the potential assumption of "constructive intent" of a SBR.

To me its $50 of insurance just in case you run up against someone who DOESN'T know the law.

See Link : http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=122&t=483410

:thumbsup:

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    7.62 x 39 build update.

Well, as previously stated, I purchased a Seekins Precision BAR 10" rail from a fellow ARF.com member last week. I got it in.

I also had previous ordered a YHM 7.62 stripped upper, but I cancelled that order because I already had a Aero Precision stripped upper receiver, and I wanted to move forward with the build.

Typically when you use a 7.5" pistol barrel with a Noveske KX3, you would go with a 9" rail to achieve the partial covered look.

I wanted something a little more radical looking because this build will have the preban Frankenmags as a primary magazine(s).

I wanted the KX3 to just peek through the 10" rail, but with no shimming, the KX3 was basically flush with the rail. I didn't want it look like it was sliced off.

So shimming was in order. I went to Home Depot, and got some Stainless Steel 1/2" lock washers. These were nice, and for $1.20, it was worth a try.

Well with some files, and a lot of patience, I had success!

null_zps4fa196f9.jpg

null_zps7432e59f.jpg

null_zps35f16af6.jpg

null_zpsa6f5e17e.jpg

null_zpsbdcab0b9.jpg

Magpul AFG, and MBUS F/R sights (Black) due in sometime this week.

I also ordered a Rainer Arms Raptor charging handle.

Last edited:

Virtued86

Mar 1, 2012
    Fallston
    Due to this thread I now have two extra lowers waiting to be picked up and two pws buffer tubes waiting thank you to the person who started this thread as it has emptied my account and made me giddy to have a two cool new toys

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom