• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Another question:

After looking up SIG brace, it appears that many are indeed using it as a shoulder stock.

Question:

What, if anything, would happen if LE sees (Me) the pistol being used as a rifle (stock to shoulder)?

Rumnhammer

Mar 2, 2013
    brace

Nothing. As long as you leave it configured as it came and don't modify it, ie remove the straps the BATF letter states it does not change the configuration of the firearm. It is still a pistol. They can't tell you how to shoot it.

wailer

Oct 2, 2008
    Largo
    I put together a 9mm Double Diamond Law Enforcement stripped lower. A pretty fun build.

Attachments

• DSCF2378.jpg
      DSCF2378.jpg
      95.9 KB · Views: 610
    • DSCF2377.jpg
      DSCF2377.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 612

556ready

Mar 5, 2012
    AAco
    I have all the furniture on order from liquid gun works coming in multicam. The only thing I still have to order is BCG.
    Heres what I have..
    -10.5 upper from MasDefense
    -Spikes Lower
    -CMMG LPK
    -KaK Industries buffer tube dedicated for SB-15
    -SB-15

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    I called a LGS today to verify that the stripped lower I purchased from them pre sb281 was indeed transferred as "other" and was told I cannot build one and that AR pistols are and have always been illegal in MD. I know that this is incorrect, but is there anyway to verify besides checking the pink sheets?

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    I have all the furniture on order from liquid gun works coming in multicam. The only thing I still have to order is BCG.
    Heres what I have..
    -10.5 upper from MasDefense
    -Spikes Lower
    -CMMG LPK
    -KaK Industries buffer tube dedicated for SB-15
    -SB-15

:party29:

Check out JSE Surplus for BCG.

I think there are some also in the classifieds:thumbsup:

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I called a LGS today to verify that the stripped lower I purchased from them pre sb281 was indeed transferred as "other" and was told I cannot build one and that AR pistols are and have always been illegal in MD. I know that this is incorrect, but is there anyway to verify besides checking the pink sheets?

You're good to go man. Illegal to build to sell, but you can build for yourself. Doesn't matter what's listed on the form if you bought it stripped.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Also, anyone see the ATF letter that came out recently. Stating it was perfectly legal to shoulder the SB15 brace?

Excellent news!

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    You're good to go man. Illegal to build to sell, but you can build for yourself.

Exactly. It would only be illegal to sell them since they're a handgun that's not on the roster.

Doesn't matter what's listed on the form if you bought it stripped.

I *might* be incorrect about this, but you do need to be careful about how it was transferred. If it was marked as "rifle," then it's a rifle, period. If it was marked "other" (which it should have been) then you can build a pistol with it.

Pmbspyder

Platinum Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    Exactly. It would only be illegal to sell them since they're a handgun that's not on the roster.

I *might* be incorrect about this, but you do need to be careful about how it was transferred. If it was marked as "rifle," then it's a rifle, period. If it was marked "other" (which it should have been) then you can build a pistol with it.

You are correct. A stripped receiver should always be transferred as "Other", it even says "frame, receiver" next to the checkbox in parentheses on the 4473. Any FFL that marks a stripped receiver as a rifle is doing the customer a serious disservice.

What I meant was if you build it as a pistol you can change it to a rifle and back again as many times as you'd like. I was pretty unclear, my apologies for the confusion.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    You are correct. A stripped receiver should always be transferred as "Other", it even says "frame, receiver" next to the checkbox in parentheses on the 4473. Any FFL that marks a stripped receiver as a rifle is doing the customer a serious disservice.

What I meant was if you build it as a pistol you can change it to a rifle and back again as many times as you'd like. I was pretty unclear, my apologies for the confusion.

You can build a pistol into a rifle, but not back into a pistol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom