• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I have decided to further indulge my shooting habits and get started in reloading. Due to a lack of some sort of mentor or other experienced person to physically show me how to reload ammo, I have read two books (ABC's of Reloading and the Lyman Reloading Manual) and numerous pages of reloading basics and how-to's that are posted on the gun forums that I frequent. I have just purchased a Hornady Lock'n'load classic kit from Midway (on clearance for $278.64 plus the 500 free bullet Hornady promo, in case anyone is interested), a .308 shell holder, and RCBS competition dies. As soon as the tools show up at my house and I locate some components, I think I am ready to go.

Is there anything else that I am going to need to get started?
    Does anyone have any last minute pieces of wisdom before I get started?

Thanks,
    Chris

capTIM

Carroll County Drunkard
    Apr 30, 2008
    Sykesville
    One piece of wisdom I can add is that, don't get over confident in your reloading. Your first batch or batches will more then likely be fine because you will be taking your time triple checking every thing. But, in my case, a couple of weeks ago I apparently loaded a 9mm round with no powder that resulted in a squib. I cought it with no physical damage to me or the gun. But it sure as hell hurt me ego. It was a good thing though, I got sloppy without blowing myself up and I know what I did wrong, it won't happen again.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    Does anyone have any last minute pieces of wisdom before I get started?

Get some caliphers - does not matter if they are digital or manual but you will need them to check OAL.

Otherwise, for your updated will, just leave everything to me. OK?

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    luckily, my engineering major has provided me with a nice Mitutoyo digital caliper, so I am covered in that department...It's nice to be able to reuse some of that stuff that I spent so much $$ on during school.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    There are a bunch of threads in the Reloading forum about getting started. Quite a few have checklists of needed/wanted items.

Off hand, I'd say a tumbler, media and some form of separator would be handy.

Once you use the kit items and find that you like reloading, you'll want to upgrade to better/easier to use gear. (Although the competition die sets are supposed to be pretty nice.) :thumbsup:

Good luck and happy reloading.:)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There will always be cool gadgets to either be slightly faster, or assist you in E. Schell like precision. But you should be well equiped to get started.
    Just check everything carefully at each step. Ideally have a factory round at hand to use with Mk I Eyeball Optical Comparator.

Redd Byrd

Oct 2, 2007
    Go to Sierra Bullets web site for some well written and easy to understand reloading and performance articles.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    Chris

Yes, you also need brass, primers, and powder :D
    All joking aside, reloaders need to be continually scanning the market for those items (plus bullets once you are done w/ your 500 freebies from Hornady). That is one of the things that makes reloading fun, at least for some people. Gun shows can be a good source of that stuff, especially powder and primers (those items ship from internet w/ a nasty hazmat fee). I don't have a clue about good stores up in your area of MD, but ask around because there is nothing like having a good reloading source right down the road.

Call Hornady if you have any questions on set up of your press - they have great customer service that will help you out.

As someone else said, just go slow and double/triple check each step as you learn. Go very easy on the powder charges - don't test the upper pressure limits until you are very comfortable with the whole process. Make sure all your brass is short enough and not over spec, as that will cause pressure issues. Also knock down the powder loads a bit (-0.2/.3 grains) if you are use milspec brass (LC) or Lapau.

Best of luck!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    It doesn't look like your kit has a brass trimmer (even though it has a chamfer and deburr tool).

You're also going to want a primer pocket cleaning tool.

I would also get some Dillon or alike spray lube. I've never read any good review of One Shot.

Cowboy T

One-Shot works fine. The problem is that people use either too much (dent the shoulders) or not enough (brass stuck in the case). I stand up all my brass, then hit it on one side, followed by another shot on the other side. So really it ought to be called "Two-Shot". :D But it does work well.

JavaDan

Beer - Nectar of the Gods
    Feb 25, 2010
    Pasadena
    You will need a head space gauge for the caliber you are loading.

I think somebody already mentioned a caliper.

If you're going to reload mil brass you'll also need something to remove the primer crimps. Since you mentioned .308 in your OP, that might not be an issue for you.

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    You will need a head space gauge for the caliber you are loading.

Unless you are unsure of your rifle, using some antique or doing gunsmithing work - what is the headspace gauge for? I don't change headspace by using reloads and if I want to know the chamber dimensions, I either do a cast or lead slug for the rifling.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    I picked up a set of RCBS precision mic gauges too and I started to measure a sample set of my fired brass for headspace. According to the gauge, I have a headspace of -0.001 when compared to the minimum ANSI standard. Is this bad/dangerous? Or something that I need to get fixed? Does this mean that I will never be able to resize cases to correctly fit my chamber? The cases were remington core lokt if that makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Chris

fa18hooker

99-9X
    Sep 2, 2008
    Annapolis
    Home-made Dillon Case Lube

Dillon case lube can be made at home for a lot cheaper...just mix 50% lanolin with 50% rubbing alcohol...exactly the same stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom