Just got my conceal carry approved in 5 days, will my HQL take all 30?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TeddyBear30

Jan 21, 2024
    Finksburg, Maryland
    Hello, this is my first post so I apologize if I’m not doing in correctly. I have a few questions about my conceal carry/HQL and don’t know anybody that has one to ask. So my first question is this. I just took a conceal carry class 7 days ago that I also completed my HQL application during. 2 days ago, I got my conceal carry license approved. Will I be getting this permit in the mail in like 5 days or a couple weeks? Also my HQL hasn’t been approved yet which I find odd but will it still take the whole 30 days/could it? My second question is this. In the class I took they had me do another set of fingerprints ($50) for my HQL (separate from my set for my conceal carry application) and also a $125 fee for the HQL. However, when I was looking through the Maryland state police site for their HQL application, it was saying I could enter my carry permit number and apply for my HQL free of charge with no extra training. Was I taken advantage of? Can you really get your HQL with no fee or training because if so I payed $175 for something I could have gotten for free. Any help even if just for certain questions would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

Vdogg

MDS Supporter
    Jan 7, 2024
    Anne Arundel County
    Because you took both classes at the same time. You will have to wait until you get your carry permit to get your HQL for free. I took my HQL class firs(I had to pay msp) then the carry class later. It took me about 5 weeks to get my carry permit in the mail. So, no you were not taken advantage of, this is pretty normal when taking both classes at the same time.

TeddyBear30

Jan 21, 2024
    Finksburg, Maryland
    Because you took both classes at the same time. You will have to wait until you get your carry permit to get your HQL for free. I took my HQL class firs(I had to pay msp) then the carry class later. It took me about 5 weeks to get my carry permit in the mail. So, no you were not taken advantage of, this is pretty normal when taking both classes at the same time.
    That makes sense. Thank you!

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Hello, this is my first post so I apologize if I’m not doing in correctly. I have a few questions about my conceal carry/HQL and don’t know anybody that has one to ask. So my first question is this. I just took a conceal carry class 7 days ago that I also completed my HQL application during. 2 days ago, I got my conceal carry license approved. Will I be getting this permit in the mail in like 5 days or a couple weeks? Also my HQL hasn’t been approved yet which I find odd but will it still take the whole 30 days/could it? My second question is this. In the class I took they had me do another set of fingerprints ($50) for my HQL (separate from my set for my conceal carry application) and also a $125 fee for the HQL. However, when I was looking through the Maryland state police site for their HQL application, it was saying I could enter my carry permit number and apply for my HQL free of charge with no extra training. Was I taken advantage of? Can you really get your HQL with no fee or training because if so I payed $175 for something I could have gotten for free. Any help even if just for certain questions would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
    Are you certain that your carry permit application was approved in 5 days? That sounds more like the time that it takes for an application to be "accepted", which just means that they've begun processing it. From being accepted, applications have been taking more like 30 days for the W&C permit to be approved. You can see information on recent timelines here:

Last edited:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

Thank you!!
    I would be surprised if your HGP was approved in five days, are you sure you didn't mistake the "Application Accepted" notification for :"Application Approved". Wear and Carry permits are typically taking 35 to 45 days for approval after the application is accepted.

Yes you did get taken for a ride on your HQL. When you first get your Wear and Carry Permit you can apply for a free HQL no class and no fingerprints required.

Some resources you might want to review are the:

Application Progress Tracking Thread which has tracked the progress of applications since Bruen:

MSI Maryland Wear and Carry Permits (While there join the premier gun rights organization in Maryland):

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    MD Escapee: Mid-Tennessee
    ... Was I taken advantage of? Can you really get your HQL with no fee or training because if so I payed $175 for something I could have gotten for free. Any help even if just for certain questions would be very greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!
    Yep-- hate to say it, but it appears you were taken advantage of... shame on whoever it was.

tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    When you actually get your carry permit you can apply for the HQL for free. It took my wife less than a week to get the HQL emailed after she applied.

Last edited:

TeddyBear30

Jan 21, 2024
    Finksburg, Maryland
    Are you certain that your carry permit application was approved in 5 days? That sounds more like the time that it takes for an application to be "accepted", which just means that they've begun processing it. From being accepted, applications have been taking more like 30 days for the W&C permit to be approved. You can see information on recent timelines here:

You are correct it said accepted not approved. That’s confusing but thank you for the info!

TeddyBear30

Jan 21, 2024
    Finksburg, Maryland
    Once you RECEIVE the carry permit, the HQL is free. I would have waited on the carry permit, apply for the HQL and saved $175.
    ETA- You should not have paid a second fee nor a second set of prints.
    Wow that’s very disappointing. The class was run by a former police officer who I didn’t think to question on the law of the process…

TeddyBear30

Jan 21, 2024
    Finksburg, Maryland
    I would be surprised if your HGP was approved in five days, are you sure you didn't mistake the "Application Accepted" notification for :"Application Approved". Wear and Carry permits are typically taking 35 to 45 days for approval after the application is accepted.

Yes you did get taken for a ride on your HQL. When you first get your Wear and Carry Permit you can apply for a free HQL no class and no fingerprints required.

Some resources you might want to review are the:

Application Progress Tracking Thread which has tracked the progress of applications since Bruen:

MSI Maryland Wear and Carry Permits (While there join the premier gun rights organization in Maryland):
    Understood. I was confused by the “Accepted” so I guess I’m still waiting which is okay! That’s unfortunate about the HQL, already so expensive to get into this, definitely not helping to pay extra fees.

BurkeM

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2014
    Baltimore

Thank you!!

Expect to wait another 30-45 days before your Wear & Carry permit arrives in the mail.

If you applied on line for the HQL, you will get an EMAIL in the next 30 days with your HQL Number- MSP no longer issues an actual card for that.

Please consider joining Maryland Shall Issue at your earliest convenience, for access to one-stop info on Maryland laws.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wow that’s very disappointing. The class was run by a former police officer who I didn’t think to question on the law of the process…

You essentially paid $ 125‐ ish to be able to purchase ( most ) handgun 30 days sooner . Some people make that choice on purpose. i.e. They don't have any , and they want an extra 30 days of concentrated practice to get up to speed by the time the W&C arrives .

If you knowingly make that choice , that's a choice .

You don't have to wait until you receive your physical carry permit card in the mail. Once you carry permit is approved, you can find your hgp# on you online application and use it to apply for hql. That's what I did and I received my hql within a couple of hours of submitting the application.

TeddyBear30

Jan 21, 2024
    Finksburg, Maryland
    You essentially paid $ 125‐ ish to be able to purchase ( most ) handgun 30 days sooner . Some people make that choice on purpose. i.e. They don't have any , and they want an extra 30 days of concentrated practice to get up to speed by the time the W&C arrives .

If you knowingly make that choice , that's a choice .
    I understand. I know there is likely not much I can do here but I do wish they would have let me know if I waited for my conceal carry to be approved that I wouldn’t have to pay the extra $175.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom