• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    On Friday, I pulled the trigger – pun intended – on my first handgun purchase, buying this Smith & Wesson M&P22 LR. :party29:

Of course, I have to wait for my seven-day waiting period to expire.

Can hardly wait to get my baby and take 'er to the range and pump a ton of lead down range!

I'm starting off with a .22 cal to work on my marksmanship fundamentals, and to use as backup home self-defense (with hollowpoint rounds) to my Mossberg 500 12 ga, with the expectation I'll eventually improve enough to buy a Glock 23, with 9mm and .40 cal barrels.

I've recently fired a Glock 19 9mm and a S&W 22S, and while I know nearly everyone suggests using a larger caliber, I did SO MUCH BETTER shooting with the .22, it's not even funny. So I figure, when using this as a home defense backup to my Mossberg, something I can actually shoot reasonably well -- with some hollowpoints -- would be better than something I can't fire very accurately or comfortably, at least at this early point in my shooter evolution.

Attachments

• Smith & Wesson M&P 22.jpg
      Smith & Wesson M&P 22.jpg
      21.6 KB · Views: 321

tech24

HP rifle shooter
    Dec 15, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Nice! Nothing wrong with a .22 cheap and and a blast to shoot...matter of fact I need to get another one. Let us know how you like the M&P cause thats one of my choices.

gooder

Aug 26, 2011
    Congrats on your purchase. I've rented the M&P22 several times. I liked the accuracy and 12 round capacity. From what I've read you could modify the magazine to accept 14 rounds.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Nice! Nothing wrong with a .22 cheap and and a blast to shoot...matter of fact I need to get another one. Let us know how you like the M&P cause thats one of my choices.

Will do. It can be a tough call. So many good options to pick from.

But that's better than not enough, right?

The new Shield looks good too...

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Given the price of ammo, absolutely NOTHING wrong with a .22. I bought a 9mm because I need a second mortgage to shoot the .45.

Some members have mentioned the importance of practice and shot placement versus just sheer high caliber stopping power; being a noob, that's one thing that's stuck out for me. I figure I'll try to become a decent shot first, then upgrade to something more powerful when I'm a bit more accomplished.

Hey, can't have too many, right? :lol:

pwoolford

AR15's make me :-)
    Jan 3, 2012
    White Marsh
    Congrats! I bought the Beretta .22 Neos for my boys to shoot and I shoot it more than they do. With the prices of ammo going through the roof shooting a .22 is a great idea.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Congrats! I bought the Beretta .22 Neos for my boys to shoot and I shoot it more than they do. With the prices of ammo going through the roof shooting a .22 is a great idea.

I thought about that one too when I was shopping at Atlantic Guns. It felt good in my hand, for sure, and seemed to dry fire nicely.

They had PLENTY of good choices. I wanted to get 2 or 3 but FORCED a little Spartan self-denial upon myself.

;-)

Yeah, right. :lol:

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Congrats man! You will always remember your first.

Thanks, Zombie!

This will be my third firearm -- after my Mossberg 500 12 ga and my Marlin 60 .22 rifle -- but my first handgun.

I was hoping to use my grandfather's old revolver but it's not functioning and not worth repairing, so that will be permanently retired, with the S&W taking its place for "active duty."

matt

No one special
    Apr 9, 2011
    I bought the M&P22 about a month ago. My live in girlfriend now refers to it as "My [her] gun".

It's accurate, a blast to shoot (it has around 800 rds on it) and easy to clean and handle. I think it's one of my better purchases in a while!

Enjoy your new gun! Also, joeboboutfitters.com has (last week) extra mags that are hard to find.

southern71

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 23, 2012
    Very sound purchase. You could have done a lot worse but I doubt you could have done much better. Good looking .22 and it will provide countless hours of plinking fun.

Mossberg Kid

Feb 24, 2012
    Rockville
    Thanks for all the positive feedback, everybody.

It's encouraging and reassuring.

I'll definitely keep you all posted on how my first shooting goes and how much I like it.

This 7-day waiting period is getting to me... I'm eager to get it on already!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom