• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    I can also recommend some books but honestly they’re depressing as hell. They got me interested in prepping from the perspective of climate change. People really focus on the wrong stuff, the alarming thing is there is no way to look at what’s already happening without expecting mass migration on an unprecedented scale, and that’s the kind of thing that causes civilization to collapse.

Happy Friday!

I suspect unprecedented mass migration stemming from the lack of law and order in places like NYC and other big cities before fossil fuels become a problem.
    What cause civilization to collapse for families near me is idiots from up north heading south in the northbound lane of rt 113.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    I suspect unprecedented mass migration stemming from the lack of law and order in places like NYC and other big cities before fossil fuels become a problem.
    What cause civilization to collapse for families near me is idiots from up north heading south in the northbound lane of rt 113.

Social unrest worries me too, I just thought I had another 20 years to prepare. 2020 has been an interesting surprise but at least I’m armed and proficient now.

BigT

Large Member
    Dec 20, 2011
    Hagerstown area
    I think drastic action is needed to address climate change and see it as the greatest danger in the world today.

Mike - I still feel like you're trolling me... All I will ask you is this: Are you willing to crash the strongest economy in the world to "save" the world and do you understand the ripple effects that POS "Deal" would create? "Yeah we need to cut your head off to save your legs.."

Not sure about your background, but I have lived in Europe and the Middle East, visited many third world countries... They will suffer far more from the "Deal" than we will - and we will suffer! The US and Europe are not the leading polluters.. The left has adopted global warming as a religion and turned it into a money maker for them.. Look how rich Gore got from it... To the political leaders Fear = control!!!

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    If this blows up on this thread I may chime in but honestly I quit social media recently to avoid this shit bc I think the place for arguments is in person over drinks, and the interwebs is destroying civilization.

Couldn't agree more.

solar and wind are booming right now and it’s one of the few sectors thriving in what is likely the start of a global depression.

It's a lot easier to thrive on subsidies. Just ask the banks, or the pharmaceutical industry, or big oil, or defence contractors...

Trying to convince an individual to part with cash in hand for a product or service is very different than spending money taken by force. For the record I like solar, but spare me the rhetoric about the existential threat to civilization.

That last comment is not directed at you, or anyone in particular. I'm just done listening to the chicken little routine, be it on the interwebs or across the bar.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    That last comment is not directed at you, or anyone in particular. I'm just done listening to the chicken little routine, be it on the interwebs or across the bar.

I can always be persuaded one way or another, I’m no ideologue. But what I’ve observed over the last decade along with what I know about the cost of the technology has me convinced that there’s little or nothing we can do to stop what’s already in motion. This isn’t an opinion I share with coworkers, bc I won’t undermine a worthy effort regardless. I could be wrong and I hope I am. Michael Shellenberger has been making a case against alarmism but I’m not convinced yet. The clean energy industry has actually been trying to push back against “alarmists” like me bc they depend on convincing people that wind and solar will have a substantial impact. I think carbon capture has promise but the tech is so expensive we’d have to spend 3x global gdp, so at the moment it’s a pipe dream. Add the current economic crisis in, we may not be investing in anything beyond maintaining the current infrastructure and putting out fires (literally and figuratively). Like with anything I think we’re inevitably gonna shift to adaptation. There’s a lot of ppl on earth and when things get bad they’re gonna pack up and move to where it’s less bad. That’s often where war breaks out. Fwiw the US might be one of the safest places to be. Relatively mild warming and we’re geographically protected. Europe not so much on either count.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    All that said, nobody ever knows what’s gonna happen really. 2020 has been a series of black swan events, and humans are terrible at predicting technological innovation.

If things work out ok I fully accept that my previous comments can be used to point out that I’m an idiot.

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    I can always be persuaded one way or another, I’m no ideologue. But what I’ve observed over the last decade along with what I know about the cost of the technology has me convinced that there’s little or nothing we can do to stop what’s already in motion. This isn’t an opinion I share with coworkers, bc I won’t undermine a worthy effort regardless. I could be wrong and I hope I am. Michael Shellenberger has been making a case against alarmism but I’m not convinced yet. The clean energy industry has actually been trying to push back against “alarmists” like me bc they depend on convincing people that wind and solar will have a substantial impact. I think carbon capture has promise but the tech is so expensive we’d have to spend 3x global gdp, so at the moment it’s a pipe dream. Add the current economic crisis in, we may not be investing in anything beyond maintaining the current infrastructure and putting out fires (literally and figuratively). Like with anything I think we’re inevitably gonna shift to adaptation. There’s a lot of ppl on earth and when things get bad they’re gonna pack up and move to where it’s less bad. That’s often where war breaks out. Fwiw the US might be one of the safest places to be. Relatively mild warming and we’re geographically protected. Europe not so much on either count.

On that we can certainly agree, and for more than just environmental reasons...unless Yellowstone pops-off.

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    On that we can certainly agree, and for more than just environmental reasons...unless Yellowstone pops-off.

I’m blanking on the guy’s name but there’s an author who wrote a book about underground bunker preppers and he was on the Rogan podcast. He asked some preppers how they’d prepare for Yellowstone. They said “you don’t, in that case you’re better off running into the fire.”

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    In the coming election there are only two choices with a hope of winning.

One of those mostly supports the second amendment and has demonstrated that through actions and appointments..

The other gives lip service to the 2A but will actively work to severely increase the existing restrictions as steps toward the eventual goal of eliminating guns for the average citizen.

If you like guns and support the second amendment the choice is clear.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    In the coming election there are only two choices with a hope of winning.

One of those mostly supports the second amendment and has demonstrated that through actions and appointments..

The other gives lip service to the 2A but will actively work to severely increase the existing restrictions as steps toward the eventual goal of eliminating guns for the average citizen.

If you like guns and support the second amendment the choice is clear.

Trump has probably never held a gun in his life but his sons have. That being said he's probably the best 2a president we have had since Reagan.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Moderate, on either side, means more centrist; they are willing to take the prevailing Republican party view and the prevailing Democratic party view, compromise and arrive at a resolution in the center. I don’t want centrist solutions to everything but, when presented a candidate from “my party” (since we have a two party system) that I don’t want to support (for example, due to their extreme and zealous views on gun control) I am more inclined to pick a Republican who will compromise on the other issues that I value.

Maybe I missed this, but what valuable virtuous campaign platforms are there in what the democrats are promising?

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    Ignore the term moderate for a second because you seem to be hung up on it and replace it with the term centrist.

COIVD relief: Assume democrats want to provide direct relief payments to individuals and families. Assume republicans want to provide tax cuts to companies. The centrist solution might be a reduced direct relief payment along with a tax cut. I am not saying this is the narrative or position of either side, or that this is the best outcome for the problem. I am only trying to use this to illustrate what I meant by a moderate or centrist republican.

Climate Change: Assume the democrats want to impose strict regulatory frameworks that limits specific industries from releasing methane or CO2 into the atmosphere. Assume republicans want to protect companies from unnecessary regulatory burdens. The centrist solution might be some kind of market-based program or carbon/methane tax.

Abortion: Assume the democrats want to allow women to have an abortion at any stage up to fetal viability. Assume the republicans want to ban abortions in all but narrowly limited circumstances. The centrist solution might be to restrict abortions after a heartbeat can be established, or after x number of weeks.

Tax policy: Assume the democrats want to raise taxes on the 1% by increasing the capital gains tax. Assume the republicans want to cut taxes across the board. The centrist solution might be to increase the capital gains tax but remove or significantly reduce the corporate tax rate.

I would vote for a Republican who was pro gun but willing to compromise and come to more centrist solutions on topics like climate change, tax policy, abortion, economic issues (covid relief etc) over a democrat who is hardcore anti gun, but also hardcore in favor of progressive solutions to climate change, tax policy, economic policy, etc, despite the fact that I would like to see progressive policies implemented in these other areas.

The climate change stuff is bonkers. We are already past the point of centrism related to that, so that's why I cannot align with those on the left.

When you have an extra 25,000 dollars of emissions equipment on a class 8 tractor, enough is enough. The regulations in place have improved pollution a ton. I urge you to go through and see everything that has been done and realize how intrusive any more measures would be. I am grateful Trump and some of those on the right began work to deregulate a few years ago, it aided in the powerful economy we had before we shut down for COVID.

The COVID relief stuff is a bit much also, the Democrats seem to be trying to stuff anything they can into the legislation rather then getting directly to helping the people.

People who want and work for more power scare me. I see it in democrats everyone prop up, like Pelosi, Shumer, Naddler. I am sure there are plenty of Republicans that fit this mold also. It seems like a common theme among Democrats to play the 'let us handle it by giving us more power, I assure you it will be handled just fine' but go visit any modern city and see the rampant poverty, the lack of maintenance of basic infrastructure, and I just don't get where the increased taxes and cost to me goes.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    The climate change stuff is bonkers. We are already past the point of centrism related to that, so that's why I cannot align with those on the left.

When you have an extra 25,000 dollars of emissions equipment on a class 8 tractor, enough is enough. The regulations in place have improved pollution a ton. I urge you to go through and see everything that has been done and realize how intrusive any more measures would be. I am grateful Trump and some of those on the right began work to deregulate a few years ago, it aided in the powerful economy we had before we shut down for COVID.

The COVID relief stuff is a bit much also, the Democrats seem to be trying to stuff anything they can into the legislation rather then getting directly to helping the people.

People who want and work for more power scare me. I see it in democrats everyone prop up, like Pelosi, Shumer, Naddler. I am sure there are plenty of Republicans that fit this mold also. It seems like a common theme among Democrats to play the 'let us handle it by giving us more power, I assure you it will be handled just fine' but go visit any modern city and see the rampant poverty, the lack of maintenance of basic infrastructure, and I just don't get where the increased taxes and cost to me goes.
    Into the pockets of their friends and them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom