• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred2207

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 14, 2013
    PG
    They'll fix this next session. The shooter this past week was retired military, and didn't Janet Napolitano say that all vets were potential terrorists??

You're wrong...get your facts right...Reservist, discharged from the Navy Reserves; news reports have indicated, under a General Discharge.... Obviously not retired.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    Doesn't it say RESERVE on the CAC card? I am not talking about the Reservist that is called to Active Duty, but the Reservists that in the 1 day month 2 weeks a year category.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You're wrong...get your facts right...Reservist, discharged from the Navy Reserves; news reports have indicated, under a General Discharge.... Obviously not retired.

Pardon me.....former military. Won't matter to the people in Annapolis.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They'll fix this next session. The shooter this past week was retired military, and didn't Janet Napolitano say that all vets were potential terrorists??

Negative Doc, he wasn't even old enough to retire from the military. He had a general discharge.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So I know that this has been argued before, but now with the new regs as written it says "Active Member" of the Armed Forces, not Active Duty. So are reservists now eligible as long as they have an ID card--either CAC or even the green ones? I remember when first written, it said Active Duty not Active Member, which are two completely different things. You can be an Active member of a Reserve Unit, just not on Active Duty.

Negative ghost rider, the statute reads A MEMBER OR RETIRED MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES OR THE NATIONAL GUARD; OR

So you should be good to go since National Guard is mentioned, unless they read the letter of the law and notice the active reserve and ready reserve are not listed. :D

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    So DBLAS what you are saying is that the Green Laminated card that says RESERVE on it will work? As long as it isn't expired?

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Current reserves have the same CAC cards that active duty have, not the old laminate cards.

I assume if you have a laminate, you are IRR Inactive Ready Reserves because I thought those were all phased out.

luckytrouble

May 23, 2011
    Or in Standby Reserves due to being a critical employee elsewhere in the Government, not necessarily IRR. But will that ID card work?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So DBLAS what you are saying is that the Green Laminated card that says RESERVE on it will work? As long as it isn't expired?

Should be, yes.

But again, if they read the "letter of the law," reserves are not mentioned only active duty and national guard.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I was a lurker up until December of last year. I know I know it says I don't need a HQL. I just couldn't find out for sure if all we had to show was Military ID or I still apply for a HQL using my ID. Thanks!

For clarity, you need to show proof of being retired military. Veterans must get the HQL.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Current reserves have the same CAC cards that active duty have, not the old laminate cards.

I assume if you have a laminate, you are IRR Inactive Ready Reserves because I thought those were all phased out.

Retired Reservists still have the old cards, at least the ones like me that haven't turned
    60 do. Don't know what they will give me when I turn 60 and my current card expires.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Should be, yes.

But again, if they read the "letter of the law," reserves are not mentioned only active duty and national guard.

True, but the current exception was lifted from the old language excepting military from the old online training requirement, and in my experience was always interpreted as including retired reservists.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Retired Reservists still have the old cards, at least the ones like me that haven't turned
    60 do. Don't know what they will give me when I turn 60 and my current card expires.

Pretty sure you will get a regular retired cac card when your benefits kick in as you will need it to log into the benefits system. :thumbsup:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    True, but the current exception was lifted from the old language excepting military from the old online training requirement, and in my experience was always interpreted as including retired reservists.

Again, on the entirety of your comment we agree, but since the state is being a PITA and starting to go by the "letter of the law" on certain items, If they do the same here, reservists are out in the cold.

I'm not saying it will happen, I am saying it could happen. I hope it doesn't and they are treated the same.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

I was told at Detrick that if you had an old style card they will issue you a new style one. Many active duty retired guys still had the old style one also. If it matters you may want to call or stop by an ID card section when you're near one. I think they want the old style ones all replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom