• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I just lucked out huge! Just won an M96 Swedish Mauser made in 1898. This has been my Holy Grail of firearms for a long time and I've lost others due to outbidding and some rather high prices (an all-matching museum quality 1897 went for $2800 on me last year).

All matching here save for a barrel band. I am ecstatic! Only a few thousand pre-1899 Swedes were ever made.

Matt

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Congrats!!! But ya can't go all, "Holy Grail" on us and not supply pics! Even an auction photo will suffice...for now ;)

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD

Attachments

• pix870997359.jpg
      pix870997359.jpg
      35.3 KB · Views: 613

Rockchucker

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 1, 2013
    Millersville
    I prefer my German made Swede and it only cost me $280 In excellent condition.

Attachments

• bfeadd8cac30d57d5ab7fd404ace77c0.jpg
      bfeadd8cac30d57d5ab7fd404ace77c0.jpg
      52.1 KB · Views: 589

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I have a 1915 Carl Gustafs as well that was one of Kimber's sporterizations. Something I would have never done myself because of the sacrilege but it is one of my favorite rifles. Shoots at least 1 MOA and I've had no trouble parking rounds on an 8 inch circle at 400 yards on factory ammo. I have lusted after an original M96 for a long time but really wanted an early M96. With a little luck, I'll have the rifle by next week.

Matt

Sunir

Jul 10, 2013
    I have an 1899 Swedish also... It's got that circle logo/symbol on the buttstock also, it's all matching and in real nice shape, pretty long and skinny rifle sits upright against one of the sides of the safe, looks like the one in the pic but the wood is a lighter brown. Any way to know if this is a Gustafs or otherwise?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

dre271

Dre
    Oct 9, 2011
    Howard County
    Congrats

I just got this fully matching M96 the other day, cannot wait for the weather to clear up! Where are the pics of the 1898?

Attachments

• sm1.jpg
      sm1.jpg
      80.4 KB · Views: 435
    • sm2.jpg
      sm2.jpg
      85.3 KB · Views: 429
    • sm3.jpg
      sm3.jpg
      62.6 KB · Views: 438
    • sm4.jpg
      sm4.jpg
      73.5 KB · Views: 477
    • sm5.jpg
      sm5.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 434
    • sm6.jpg
      sm6.jpg
      75.8 KB · Views: 468
    • sm7.jpg
      sm7.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 418
    • sm8.jpg
      sm8.jpg
      81.6 KB · Views: 464

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    These seem to be pretty popular lately. I'll be picking up my 1915 in the next few days. Looks like mine was made at the same factory as yours. Whats the price difference between pre and post 1898 rifles?

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    In my case, virtually the same. It is that arbitrary line of antique vs. modern that has the appeal. So pre-1899 rifles tend to be more collectable because they are low number rifles and only a small number of them are out there as compared to the follow-on production. In the case of the rifle I stopped chasing last year, it was a low number, all-matching first production run M96. It was truly a museum piece that I would have handled with cotton gloves. I've generally noted that pre-1899 Swedes near or all matching in good condition fetch a premium over their post-1898 counterparts.

Swedish Mausers have always been popular rifles. The quality of the construction and their cartridge are the big reasons. 6.5x55mm has always been a popular round in Europe and is popular here despite not being an "American" round. Personally, I consider it one of the finest rifle rounds ever made as a balance of accuracy, ballistics (much better than match .308), recoil and hitting power.

Post-1898 rifles typically run $300 to $500 depending on condition and rarity. M41b snipers go higher especially if they have a scope. Prices have been steadily increasing over the years because, like any milsurp rifle, there are only a limited number out there that will never go up. So if desire to own such a rifle increases, so does the price.

Matt

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    In my case, virtually the same. It is that arbitrary line of antique vs. modern that has the appeal. So pre-1899 rifles tend to be more collectable because they are low number rifles and only a small number of them are out there as compared to the follow-on production. In the case of the rifle I stopped chasing last year, it was a low number, all-matching first production run M96. It was truly a museum piece that I would have handled with cotton gloves. I've generally noted that pre-1899 Swedes near or all matching in good condition fetch a premium over their post-1898 counterparts.

Swedish Mausers have always been popular rifles. The quality of the construction and their cartridge are the big reasons. 6.5x55mm has always been a popular round in Europe and is popular here despite not being an "American" round. Personally, I consider it one of the finest rifle rounds ever made as a balance of accuracy, ballistics (much better than match .308), recoil and hitting power.

Post-1898 rifles typically run $300 to $500 depending on condition and rarity. M41b snipers go higher especially if they have a scope. Prices have been steadily increasing over the years because, like any milsurp rifle, there are only a limited number out there that will never go up. So if desire to own such a rifle increases, so does the price.

Matt

The one I'm getting is a 1915 Carl Gustafs stads Gevärsfaktori with the Finnish SA marking. I still need to get some ammo and clips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom