• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Storm40

Ultimate Member
    Apr 13, 2009
    Harford County
    So, I am working on building a "low-budget" WW2 rifle collection. I have a Garand, an MN 91/30 and a Turk Mauser. I'd like to get another mauser that looks a little closer to an actual k98 for around $300 or less. I'm looking for some advice on what type of mausers to look for. All the "k98s" I've been seeing are Yugos and Czechs (BRNO?). I can't seem to find any russian captures and "real" k98s seem to be out of my price range. I'd appreciate any advice and any pointers to a good deal somewhere. I don't mind buying from the internet but I'm not ready to try gunbroker yet. I want a shooter, not a wall-hanger.

For reference, I've been checking out J&G, Classic Arms, Samco Global (which has a mauser i've got my eye on --> https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M98k.html), and a few other sites.

FWIW, I also want to get an Arisaka and an Enfield later. Maybe someday an M1 carbine. That should just about cover all the rifles on the "must-have" list.

Thanks!

Last edited:

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    I have a nice k98 russian capture that has a perfect bore but all the nazi markings are gone. still has factory codes etc. Stock is also A+ shape

Id let it go

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    So, I am working on building a "low-budget" WW2 rifle collection. I have a Garand, an MN 91/30 and a Turk Mauser. I'd like to get another mauser that looks a little closer to an actual k98 for around $300 or less. I'm looking for some advice on what type of mausers to look for. All the "k98s" I've been seeing are Yugos and Czechs (BRNO?). I can't seem to find any russian captures and "real" k98s seem to be out of my price range. I'd appreciate any advice and any pointers to a good deal somewhere. I don't mind buying from the internet but I'm not ready to try gunbroker yet. I want a shooter, not a wall-hanger.

For reference, I've been checking out J&G, Classic Arms, Samco Global (which has a mauser i've got my eye on --> https://www.samcoglobal.com/1-M98k.html), and a few other sites.

FWIW, I also want to get an Arisaka and an Enfield later. Maybe someday an M1 carbine. That should just about cover all the rifles on the "must-have" list.

Thanks!

Hit the gunshows, they are out there. Sometimes you have to be persistant and keep looking but there are still value guns available

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    RC imports may be drying up or slowing down. You may have more luck on the secondary market. Try a WTB post in the classifieds, look on Gunbroker, cruise the gun and pawn shops, and definately gunshows. They are out there and you will find them.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Go to shops, shows, watch GB, and be patient. Deals are out there but you have to be diligent in your search. I scored a few weeks ago on a nice RC for $350 in a local pawn/gun shop. Deal worked for the seller because it was off pawn and they only gave the person $150 for it.

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    Bookmark these guys: http://www.empirearms.com/ They frequently come across some really nice pieces. They are not cheap, but they sell top quality merchandise. Also make sure you sign up for their e-mailing list. You get the heads-up on their newest finds before anyone else.

I always like looking at these guy's inventory, but you aren't going to get any deals at Empire. They're are a great site if you're looking for something in particular, and are willing to pay top dollar for it; but they're not the best choice if you're trying to build a "low budget" collection. It is fun to window shop there, for when I win the lottery. :D

I'd love to get that G41, but over $6k? Too rich for my blood. lol

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Glade valley sporting goods in Frederick had some RC mausers for $310 cash out the door that I bought a few months back. I handpicked mine a 1939 Erma with all the "evil" swastikas on it with an excellent bore and straight sights. Last time I was there about a month ago they only had 4 left.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Since no one mentioned it, I'll throw this out. Not as much selection as Gun Broker. But you can occasionally find a deal.

http://www.gunauction.com/shop/guns-for-sale-curios-relics

Ya then you have to deal with transfers and stuff. I would only do it if it was a really really good deal. I only use gunbroker (or auctionarms which tends to run cheaper but obviously less guns) when I am hunting something that cant be found easily or handguns where i know I am going to get hit with a transfer anyways.

Frankly, I hunt down battle bargains at one of the shows and see what they have they get a good stream of decent looking C&R guns. Cant tell you how many I have bought off of them.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    Jimbob2.0 said:
    Ya then you have to deal with transfers and stuff. I would only do it if it was a really really good deal. I only use gunbroker (or auctionarms which tends to run cheaper but obviously less guns) when I am hunting something that cant be found easily or handguns where i know I am going to get hit with a transfer anyways.

Frankly, I hunt down battle bargains at one of the shows and see what they have they get a good stream of decent looking C&R guns. Cant tell you how many I have bought off of them.

When you say Battle Bargains are you referring to Collector's Corner from the Hagerstown area? I know that's their screen name on Gun Broker.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Their shop's pretty cool too, half convenience store/ gas station and the other half gun shop. I got a Krag from them last year at a good price.

They have always treated me well as long as you live by the rule "if its to high ask what there bottom line is, and maybe go a hair less depending on what they say"

That said, I probably have bought 4 or 5 guns off them over the years.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I forget the vendor's name, but, at a couple of the "Showplace Arena" gunshows, there was a guy that had a couple of cases of K9k rifles.

I found a nice bnz41 that I just 'had' to buy.

If memory serves me, I paid $399.00 for the rifle, OTD.
    Granted, these are "RC" rifles, and most of the marks have been 'peened', but, these are "REAL" K98k and not 'fabricated' K98k (like Mitchell's Mausers have been accused of).

I have an ar41 that I might be convinced to let go.

As an example, here's what my first K98k looks like, after I cleaned the stock.
    This was $219.00 from Coles Dist., in Kentucky.

This is a byf43 (all markings intact - no 'peened' marks!):
    byf43Mauser.jpg

The stock was just filthy, and had that Russian 'red shellac' all over it.
    I've got quite a few hours invested in cleaning that stock. (If you look closely, you can see a repair on the front-end of the stock, that was made during WWII. That repair fell out when I was cleaning the stock, between the barrel bands, and was correctly repaired by me. It will not fall out, again!)

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    If memory serves me, I paid $399.00 for the rifle, OTD.
    Granted, these are "RC" rifles, and most of the marks have been 'peened', but, these are "REAL" K98k and not 'fabricated' K98k (like Mitchell's Mausers have been accused of).

Not all R/C's have defaced markings. Personally, I won't buy one with defaced markings.

The funny thing is that usually they are priced the same by dealers whether the markings are present or not.

VTX1800

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 29, 2011
    AA County
    Not all R/C's have defaced markings. Personally, I won't buy one with defaced markings.

The funny thing is that usually they are priced the same by dealers whether the markings are present or not.

Also not all RC Mausers have the X stamped/chiseled into the receiver.
    Some of the RC Mausers were reblued right over rust and pitting etc. with the finish looking very matt black and not like a real blued finish at all.
    I have a very nice RC Mauser with all proof stamps unpeened , no X + the metal and the Russian re-blue are very nice with an excellent bore.
    I would say RC Mausers like that one are 1 in a 1,000+ at best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom