• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Statute 4-209 provides state preemption in regards to transport. The law applies statewide. Discharge and hunting regs can vary.

exception.

Attachments

• 4-209.jpg
      4-209.jpg
      14.3 KB · Views: 448

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Agree. I stand corrected. He is referencing 4-203, so a loaded magazine in a vehicle for a rifle would be a bad idea.

Then we fall back to legislative intent. The DNR statute says "THE magazine or chamber" insinuating a magazine in the rifle. But because it's so vague I would not have a loaded magazine for a rifle in my vehicle until there is either case law or AG opinion.

sorry for the confusion

I think we are almost in agreement.

The article says '...a rifle containing ammunition in the magazine or chamber'. The plain english meaning of the sentence would suggest that the ammunition has to be both in the magazine AND the rifle.

It may well be perfectly legal, my point was that I wouldn't take the nonbinding AG opinion as a shield against frivolous charging and prosecution as it was written for a very specific case separate from long gun transport.

This is a law that allows the NRP officer to charge some bubbas he encounters with loaded rifles in their lap on some backroads in the state forest. He knows they are out shining deer, with the 'rifle in car' article he can get them on something even if he doesn't observe the poaching itself.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Being a trophy deer hunter in Md., I would be particularly screwed, knowing how DNR pursues these things. It has been a thought of mine to carry a rifle in my truck, but just my luck to be snagged(wrongly) for a DNR violation. I'll pass.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Being a trophy deer hunter in Md., I would be particularly screwed, knowing how DNR pursues these things. It has been a thought of mine to carry a rifle in my truck, but just my luck to be snagged(wrongly) for a DNR violation. I'll pass.

The problem is even though the statute is in the DNR portion of the MD Articles, it isn't limited to just hunting.

It just happens to be in the DNR Statute

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    The problem is even though the statute is in the DNR portion of the MD Articles, it isn't limited to just hunting.

It just happens to be in the DNR Statute

My point was, I feel hunters would fall under more aggressive scrutiny.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    As has been pointed out in this thread and others on this topic (including by some in the legal community), there is no police officer exception for the 'no loaded rifle in the car' DNR reg.

For those of us that car carry an unloaded rifle with loaded mags where legal in MD, one could always keep an unloaded mag inserted in the rifle if there were nervousness about interpretation.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    except that in a high adrenaline situation you may forget that the magazine is empty. At least no magazine is a visual indicator that the weapon is not capable of being fired.

just another viewpoint.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    State Trooper who works with us says a magazine detachable or not should be unloaded. Magazine is part of the firearm in his opinion.

Yeah, that trooper would be wrong. A magazine is not a firearm. If it isn't in the firearm, the firearm isn't loaded. Period. FOPA might be what he is thinking about. In which case a loaded magazine may not be in the same locked container as the firearm. So don't carry loaded magazines in your rifle/pistol case. Or in a backpack with your pistol.

In Maryland you can carry a long gun in your vehicle all you want so long as no ammunition is present inside of the firearm (and a a magazine is not a firearm). There are a few exceptions, like you can't transport a firearm through a state park unless it is for hunting purposes and then the weapon must be cased or action open.

That doesn't mean someone isn't going to try to charge you with it, but it would take a stretch for the plain English of the statute to make such a charge stick having a loaded magazine not in the rifle. Of course I wouldn't want to be that test case, but on the other hand if I was carrying a rifle for SD, is absolutely have a loaded magazine (or 3). If I was going hunting especially, or target shooting, no, I'd leave mags empty.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    For those thinking of carrying firearms in their vehicle, should also have a first aid kit to treat those kind of wounds.

When the S hits the F: rocks get slung both ways, and a 9 dollar general first aid kit from walmart will not cut it.

the life you save may very well be yourself or a loved one.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only time there is a requirement under FOPA for ammo and the firearm to be separate is in a vehicle with no trunk. Then either the ammo OR the firearm must be in a locked case.

There is no requirement for ammo and the firearm to be separate in a vehicle with a trunk.

MD statute 4-203 also has no separation requirement.

Attachments

• fopa1.jpg
      fopa1.jpg
      8 KB · Views: 361
    • fopa2.jpg
      fopa2.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 355

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The only time there is a requirement under FOPA for ammo and the firearm to be separate is in a vehicle with no trunk. Then either the ammo OR the firearm must be in a locked case.

There is no requirement for ammo and the firearm to be separate in a vehicle with a trunk.

MD statute 4-203 also has no separation requirement.

FOPA really only applies if you're planning on crossing a state line. If you're staying in md, there's no reason to do anything other than have the gun unloaded, and in an enclosed case or holster for handguns.

The DNR regs also specifically mentions magazines not being loaded sooooo....

Attachments

• P1140219r-900x601.jpg
      P1140219r-900x601.jpg
      57.8 KB · Views: 327

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I was responding to someone who said FOPA requires the separation of the firearm and ammunition.

Only applies to vehicles without a trunk.

The DNR reg states la rifle CONTAINING a loaded magazine is prohibited.

Therefore loaded mags not in the rifle are legal.

IANAL
    SS 10-410c

Attachments

• DNR 410c.jpg
      DNR 410c.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 305

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I was responding to someone who said FOPA requires the separation of the firearm and ammunition.

Only applies to vehicles without a trunk.

The DNR reg states la rifle CONTAINING a loaded magazine is prohibited.

Therefore loaded mags not in the rifle are legal.

IANAL
    SS 10-410c
    gotcha. I kind've skim-read stuff earlier. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom