• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I have one...its a great pistol. just a tad big for a pocket pistol but with the right holster it works for me. I bought the wallet clip accessories and its works well too. Its a good shooter, not the best but good.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    How does the size compare to a P64 and an LCP? A picture of all three would be interesting...

And what are the "wallet clip accessories"?

I'm kind of toying with the idea of getting one too. I'm guessing you got yours at Gun Connection?

Ethan83

Ultimate Member
    Jan 8, 2009
    Baltimoreish
    the PF9 is the single stack right? If so, I don't own one, but I've handled one at a show, and I'd say it's pretty much right between the LCP and P64. FWIW I do own a P64. The grip length on the PF9 is probably comparable in length, maybe a smidge longer, I don't really recall. I do believe it's slimmer though.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Nutnfancy did a review on youtube. It is a light 9mm, so the recoil is stout. Also the trigger is not the smoothest, but with practice one can do fine with it. Overall, it's a really great value.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    I had a P11, the trigger blew, I got rid of it a while back when I got my G26. I have looked at PF9's as well and they seem to be a bit better fit and finish, and of course smaller/lighter. The PF9 Is much bigger than the P3AT/LCP, but still a good sub compact. A P3AT is an ankle/wallet holster gun. I like mine, but prefer the G26 or similar sized candidate for an IWB candidate.

crfakm4

hotel z71
    Jun 8, 2008
    MD
    It's a deep conceal carry piece, not a range gun so expect it to be a work horse, not a thoroughbred.

This ^

It is a pistol meant to dispatch a threat and nothing more. Honestly, I dont even take it to the range for fun, when I do its for sighting in or to remind myself what its going to feel like if I need it in a hurry.....

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I had a P11, the trigger blew, I got rid of it a while back when I got my G26. I have looked at PF9's as well and they seem to be a bit better fit and finish, and of course smaller/lighter. The PF9 Is much bigger than the P3AT/LCP, but still a good sub compact. A P3AT is an ankle/wallet holster gun. I like mine, but prefer the G26 or similar sized candidate for an IWB candidate.

The trigger on the P11 is almost double the weight of the PF9, isn't it?

I thought the P11 sounded awesome until I saw the trigger weight. Yeesh...

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    For what purpose? As others have noted it's a "deep concealment" kind of gun. If that's not a big issue for you than there may be better options. If you just like the gun, than go for it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Got to try out Smokey's PF-9 side by side with my Kahr PM-9.

The KT held it's own in accuracy, and has proven reliable, the trigger is a decent DAO trigger. The biggest differnce is that the KT has a much lower grip, less room for fingers, and a ton more muzzle flip. The Kahr is far easier to shoot fast, but that comes in at nearly double the price. Both are backup or hot weather carry guns, and both conceal easily. I still carry something bigger and double stack as a primary, but if this isn't possible, or in the role of a back up gun, you can't go wrong with either.

I disagree with the "carry it alot, shoot it hopefully never" mentality. It is a defensive gun, and you are betting your life not only on the pistol, but your skill with it. I shoot my carry guns more than my other pistols for this reason. The small size, and inherent difficulty in shooting small guns requires a lot of practice, you want something that is at least easy for you to shoot, and manageable enough for sufficient range time with it.

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I have a Kelt-Tec PF9 with nickled slide, belt clip and laser. Fairly heavy for such a small gun. I also added the wider trigger from Kel-Tec. It is a terrible range gun. I bearly got through a box before I switched to my G22. The trigger snap back is absolutely horrible and your finger will sting. Definitely not a target gun. I do my practicing with it to be proficient with it but that it is not fun to shoot. I also have a Walther PPS in SW .40 which is about the same size. Also not fun to shoot and has a nasty bite back on my thumb knuckle. Both are good small sized carry guns but not suited for target shooting at all. You will feel it all week if you put 200 rounds through them on the weekend.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    it fits in my pockets no problem. I like mine just fine. and for the price, it was a good deal.

it takes a lot of practice to be accurate with though

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Industry Partner
    Oct 20, 2010
    Hays, KS
    The trigger on the P11 is almost double the weight of the PF9, isn't it?

I thought the P11 sounded awesome until I saw the trigger weight. Yeesh...

Yep its a HEAVVVY trigger pull. I got it used for a song so couldn't complain. It filled a void in sub compact guns I didn't have at the time, but then i got rid of it. It was the first firearm I ever let go, and didn't feel terrible about it at all ;).

i have a p11, the trigger blows as joebob said and the muzzle flip is high.

Yeah, they make an aftermarket trigger that costs about as much as a P11...which gets you up to the $amount of a gun with better fit and finish and a better trigger to begin with. You can only polish a turd so much :rolleyes:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I was wearing my PF9 so I thought I'd take a few pics for you. I'm using an Uncle Mike IP holster Size 4 (small 9mm size) and belt clip.

I was looking for a small 9mm and didn't want to carry a .380 b/c I didn't want to buy into a new caliber but wanted small enough if i wanted to put in my pocket. (Excuse the pocket lint) HOPE THIS HELPS!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Kel Tek PF9 001.JPG
      Kel Tek PF9 001.JPG
      46.9 KB · Views: 185
    • Kel Tek PF9 002.JPG
      Kel Tek PF9 002.JPG
      54.8 KB · Views: 185
    • Kel Tek PF9 003.JPG
      Kel Tek PF9 003.JPG
      33 KB · Views: 188
    • Kel Tek PF9 004.JPG
      Kel Tek PF9 004.JPG
      53.9 KB · Views: 199
    • Kel Tek PF9 005.JPG
      Kel Tek PF9 005.JPG
      26 KB · Views: 180

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was wearing my PF9 so I thought I'd take a few pics for you. I'm using an Uncle Mike IP holster Size 4 (small 9mm size) and belt clip.

I was looking for a small 9mm and didn't want to carry a .380 b/c I didn't want to buy into a new caliber but wanted small enough if i wanted to put in my pocket. (Excuse the pocket lint) HOPE THIS HELPS!!:thumbsup:

I've started cleaning my Ruger weekly because of lint. It clogs everything, the barrel, slide, trigger, recoil spring, it's freakin terrible.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    everything you want to know is on here....also a ton of dumb people
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=newpistol

i still haven't made it to the range for a fine range report to show targets, but hundreds of rounds and not one hiccup. Shot everything from white box to 147 gr hsts/rem GS's/ pdx-1's and everything functions fine. the trigger is not heavy at all, but long with about 1/4" overtravel on it. a trigger stop epoxied to the back of the trigger guard should do the trick.
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=42945

one thing you should know is that the finish sucks on the pf9's and you'll need to keep a coating of eezox or birchwood casey's rust prevent on it to keep it from rusting. Another thing you should know is most holsters for a 1911 work for the pf9(i have a fobus compact paddle holster i use for around the house carrying). Kholster and the crossbreed minituck seem to be some of the more popular holsters for it.

they're too big for pocket carry, but make for a nice and invisible iwb...even under just a t-shirt(or f-shirts for our mutant mdshooter members)

forgot to mention, got mine from dan at gunconnection for cheaper than i found anywhere else.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    Oh, the PF-9's are easy to accidentally push the magazine release button while firing. It's a known issue with many shooters. Just to warn you, it may be a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom