• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cb51

I guess it must be true, I saw the TSA bulitin that will be effective this April 25th will again allow some small pocketknives on planes. Blades must be 2.4 inches or less, and must not be .5 inch wide or wider. No locking blades, of course. So I guess small pen knives and Swiss Army Knives will again be okay to have with you.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    Finally. It's not well known, but the TSA was going to do a complete revert to pre-9/11 rules on knives years ago, but it's the Flight Attendant Unions that raised a stink about it.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    While I'm relieved the agency that levied all these ridiculous security restrictions AND HAS STILL NOT CAUGHT A SINGLE TERRORIST IN OVER A DECADE is regaining its senses... it's a shame to rule out small locking knives. Kind of negates the utility of carrying a small blade around.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    Reminds me of those thousands of Swiss Army Knives that were sold in huge lots on e-bay shortly after TSA began its seizures. Those knives are now legal, it seems.

cb51

While I'm relieved the agency that levied all these ridiculous security restrictions AND HAS STILL NOT CAUGHT A SINGLE TERRORIST IN OVER A DECADE is regaining its senses... it's a shame to rule out small locking knives. Kind of negates the utility of carrying a small blade around.

It never was about catching any terrorists. It was just more insane 'feel good' legislation that was never going to do a single thing but show the sheple that they, the positions are doing something.

Now, years later, TSA is tired of spending hundreds if not thousands of man hours handling those boxes and barrels of little knives. In this age of budget cuts and tight money, they simply can't afford to do this anymore. This, plus the pressure from the international airlines association that they get in line with what the European airlines and other countries do.

Besides, I really pity the foolish terrorist who pulls a box cutter with half the passengers holding 24 inch souvenir ball bats or driving irons. It ain't gonna be pretty!

Swing batter!

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    I think the reality here is that something like 9/11 wont happen again the same way it did (with box cutters or even small knives)...these days if 3 dudes whipped out box cutters there would be 20+ people on them beating them beyond belief, they would be lucky to get off the plane alive...

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    I think the reality here is that something like 9/11 wont happen again the same way it did (with box cutters or even small knives)...these days if 3 dudes whipped out box cutters there would be 20+ people on them beating them beyond belief, they would be lucky to get off the plane alive...

With what happened, I think 3 guys could pull submachine guns and get the same response. Before that point, everyone "knew" that hijackers just wanted to take over the plane and fly it somewhere to either escape or use the people to get ransom money. And so the best strategy was to just be passive. But now, with the concept of a crash that would kill not just them, but thousands others, now very real in everyone's mind. I don't doubt most people would immediately pounce on a hijacker and take them down even if they knew they would die trying, because of the lives it would save.

pseudonym

Mar 4, 2013
    HoCo
    Can bring a small pocket knife through security but still can't bring a bottle of water... :sad20:

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you realize why?

There is no fast inexpensive way to screen bottles of liquids to be sure they are no explosives or elements of a binary explosive. There was a case in the Far East where a terrorist got two bottles of the parts of a binary explosive on board and assembled a bomb.

So instead of arguing with everyone about which liquid is OK or not, they just ban them all.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Finally. It's not well known, but the TSA was going to do a complete revert to pre-9/11 rules on knives years ago, but it's the Flight Attendant Unions that raised a stink about it.

This. I remember when they first proposed removing the silly rule about scissors these same groups were the ones that stopped it. Who knows, maybe in a few years you'll be able to travel with 4 onces of shampoo again.

UFB.

d_c

Jul 7, 2009
    Texas
    They don't ban them all. Parents of small children are able to bring plenty of sealed liquids on flights without scrutiny. Ask me how I know.

Do you realize why?

There is no fast inexpensive way to screen bottles of liquids to be sure they are no explosives or elements of a binary explosive. There was a case in the Far East where a terrorist got two bottles of the parts of a binary explosive on board and assembled a bomb.

So instead of arguing with everyone about which liquid is OK or not, they just ban them all.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Subject to individual inspection.

Can you imagine the lines if EVERYONE had things to hand inspect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom