• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    What is this "wave" for?

It's something to assist opening. First used by the Emerson company in their knives, though they don't really make that many compared to other companies. When properly pulled from the pocket, the hook catches the corner or lip of the pocket and the blade opens as a result. Note that this is a good way to mess up a decent pair of slacks and even my jeans show accelerated signs of wear (though mine are good quality so it's not an issue, more a reminder to not overuse it). Getting it out more slowly or at a different angle bypasses this for times you actually like your pants.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Ah, my Ti-Lite had a feature like that. It was serrated, and I tore through pockets on 3 pairs of jeans before switching back to the Leek.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    Ah, my Ti-Lite had a feature like that. It was serrated, and I tore through pockets on 3 pairs of jeans before switching back to the Leek.

The wave isn't sharp and the Endura's is even rounder than the original design so it's not really that bad on jeans, it's just the dressier stuff you have to be more careful about.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    Here's what I carry.
    daily:S+W homeland security folder,about 2.5in long closed.
    Hunting:Browning F.D.T (field dressing tool)
    Bowhunting:The Browning F.D.T on one hip and a Gerber multi-plier on the other.

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    :lol2:,I here ya talkin,This is going to be the year I shoot one so big I'm going to have to feild dress it with a chainsaw,I HOPE.BTW, who did the mount on that beast you shot last year?

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    ernie ennis. $275 . its $275 til rifle season then $300.only took 2 months. dude it was all luck, i was getting ready to get out of my stand. still cool tho

deerslayer79

Jan 27, 2007
    Delmar Md
    Thanks for the info,even the $300 is cheaper than everyone else around,and he does do some good work.I remember when Bethany showed me the pick last year,nice deer.

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    you see the huge 7 from the year before? it was a good 10 pounds heavier. wider rack also. didnt get it mounted, ugly. got the rack for a horn mount

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD

Cold Steal has a really sharp wave. I am assuming this is only part because it is effective and part to avoid infringing Emerson's patent. IIRC it is a half moon shape with teeth as opposed to the smooth crescent of Emerson/Spyderco.

waves.JPG

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Hey, what do you guys think about a knife forum? I mean for y'all knife lovers' sake that is.
    Personally I like seeing these threads in the Water Cooler because I learn alot about something I didn't really care about too much before, but I throw out this suggestion to see if you guys (and gals maybe) might like a spot of your own that people can go directly to to see new or old knife threads like the C&R forum has become.
    There seems to be a whole lot of interest in the subject on this board and some other gun boards I have seen, so IMHO it would be well used and a good idea.

Maybe Don, Norton or his....brother (:D) can take a formal or informal poll on the matter to see if the interest warants a new forum or section.

Like I said though, I like seeing this subject in the water cooler forum so my vote is so ambiguous I must remain neutral in the matter. I must recuse myself from this case.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Cold Steal has a really sharp wave. I am assuming this is only part because it is effective and part to avoid infringing Emerson's patent. IIRC it is a half moon shape with teeth as opposed to the smooth crescent of Emerson/Spyderco.

That's correct, it was a serrated notch. However, it positively opened the long blade every time without fail!

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Hey, what do you guys think about a knife forum? I mean for y'all knife lovers' sake that is.
    Personally I like seeing these threads in the Water Cooler because I learn alot about something I didn't really care about too much before, but I throw out this suggestion to see if you guys (and gals maybe) might like a spot of your own that people can go directly to to see new or old knife threads like the C&R forum has become.
    There seems to be a whole lot of interest in the subject on this board and some other gun boards I have seen, so IMHO it would be well used and a good idea.

Maybe Don, Norton or his....brother (:D) can take a formal or informal poll on the matter to see if the interest warants a new forum or section.

Like I said though, I like seeing this subject in the water cooler forum so my vote is so ambiguous I must remain neutured in the matter. I must recuse myself from this case.

I tend to agree with you, especially with the part about you staying neutered....but as a moderator I see pretty much every thread anyway, so in the interest of fariness I'll let others cast their votes.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    In my oppinion, put knives under The Arsenal. I don't know any gun owner that doesn't have at least a couple of knives. Just my two cents.

Simon Yu

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2007
    Rockville
    A forum to discuss non-gun related gear, knives included, might be a good idea. We've had a number of discussions about batons, cell phones, pepper spray, and other stuff that would fit well in one.

NickZac, who made the neck sheath in your photo?

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    A forum to discuss non-gun related gear, knives included, might be a good idea. We've had a number of discussions about batons, cell phones, pepper spray, and other stuff that would fit well in one.

+1

As a serious bow hunter, there is much information on other shooting skills, that may be sheared. :thumbsup:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

Normally I would agree for other forums, but here there seems to be some incredible interest here in knives specifically based on my unqualified observation. I have the impression that knives haver their own status all their own here.
    Origionally I thought about discussing a non-firearms forum like they have at THR, but I thought twice about it.

After all, folding knives (penknives) are the only concealed carry "tool" excepted for in MD and in MD as a non-concealed self defense "weapon" all knives are allowed apparently.
    I have a feeling that this reason as well as other ones like carrying for utility, hunting or even hobby as well in MD is why the subject seems so popular.

Of course though, this is just a personal thought and a non-firearms forum may be the way to actually go as far as I know.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    +1

As a serious bow hunter, there is much information on other shooting skills, that may be sheared. :thumbsup:

Jim Sr. are you aware we have an "archery" forum in the Aresnal section? Maybe Don, Norton or his ugly...I mean ok looking brother can change the name of it to "bow hunting/archery" or just "bow hunting"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    illlocs33

Latest threads

Top Bottom