• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I still can't wrap my head around the ignorance of judges that think they were there when the BoR were written. It is such a simple and plainly written amendment. It does not define weapons or dangerousness. Or features and capacity. And let's stop using the MD AG's name as an expletive, he probably gets off on it.

NOVA1

Aug 18, 2013
    This decision is unfortunate, but predictable news. At least in most 4th Circuit states (such as Virginia and West Virginia), there are state constitutional amendments independently protecting the right to bear arms. As such, in the event AWB type legislation is attempted (or passed), there is the possibility to state-level constitutional challenges. Maryland, of course, does not have a state constitutional protection for right to bear arms, however.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    What we're seeing WRT Heller is the judicial equivalent of the Deep State at work. Heller was perfectly clear, the courts just choose to ignore it...and SCOTUS is currently disinclined to hear another 2A case.

That won't change with Gorsuch's confirmation, he replaces Scalia. I think it would change if Kennedy or one of the hard-core liberals retired.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You must not have read the opinion. Not only does it split with the circuits, it conflicts with a holding of Heller. The difference is that they found the firearms do not have 2A protection. Had they simply stuck with the assume they have 2A protection and apply intermediate scrutiny tactic used in the other cases, SCOTUS would likely pass (like it did in the other cases) This case directly conflicts with holding 1B of Heller

"The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved."

There is no mention of how small arms, that the world believes appropriate for military purposes, are not suitable for a citizens' militia.
    It would be interesting if SCOTUS remanded with instructions to apply strict scrutiny to military weapons.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You must not have read the opinion. Not only does it split with the circuits, it conflicts with a holding of Heller. The difference is that they found the firearms do not have 2A protection. Had they simply stuck with the assume they have 2A protection and apply intermediate scrutiny tactic used in the other cases, SCOTUS would likely pass (like it did in the other cases) This case directly conflicts with holding 1B of Heller

"The prefatory clause comports with the Court’s interpretation of the operative clause. The “militia” comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. The Antifederalists feared that the Federal Government would disarm the people in order to disable this citizens’ militia, enabling a politicized standing army or a select militia to rule. The response was to deny Congress power to abridge the ancient right of individuals to keep and bear arms, so that the ideal of a citizens’ militia would be preserved."

There is no mention of how small arms, that the world believes appropriate for military purposes, are not suitable for a citizens' militia.

People also forget the Miller case. Sure it is old, but is one of the oldest 2A cases out there. It held that Miller had no business possessing a sawed off shotgun because it had no MILITARY use. That was their litmus test. The 2A is not about hunting, and was not written to ensure the right to defend home and hearth. They didn't put that in because it was assumed to be a natural right.....

nobis1

Aug 5, 2012
    Here is a great article from National Review. David French is a former JAG Officer, and his work is often spot on. He breaks this down well:

http://www.nationalreview.com/artic...to Thursday 2017-02-22&utm_term=NR5PM Actives

As a lawyer myself with an interest in constitutional law, this decision is breath taking in its ignorance. That, and resorting to the emotional argument in the beginning as a seeming basis to begin their undermining of a constitutional civil right is frankly unprofessional. Judges are not cheerleaders, they are supposed to be neutral arbiters of the law.

Last edited:

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    People also forget the Miller case. Sure it is old, but is one of the oldest 2A cases out there. It held that Miller had no business possessing a sawed off shotgun because it had no MILITARY use. That was their litmus test. The 2A is not about hunting, and was not written to ensure the right to defend home and hearth. They didn't put that in because it was assumed to be a natural right.....

Exactly.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Who in their right mind thinks a .38 special is a suitable firearm to maintain the security of a free State?

Guns secure freedom from tyranny.
    Guns suitable for fighting are a logical requirement.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I feel I have read enough of this crap, I feel I could write a brief. That is too much BS. I said it elsewhere, Lawyers have ruined this country. ( MDS members excepted) Some of them any way...eh,, Most of them.. ah,, all but One? No, I am wrong. All the Barristers here are OK.

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD

After this decision, wouldn't Miller now be defunct should the SCOTUS not take the case?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom