• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    It depends on how the ruling is written, if all three justices agree (and there is very optimistic reason to believe this) then they would be stupid to request en banc, as the the court, more often than not, would support the entire panel.

If, however, the panel is split, then we might see a request for en banc review.

Unless there is an urgent reason to get the issue to the SCT (and there wouldn't be here), Frosh loses nothing by seeking en banc. If decision is unanimous, that just makes it harder to get en banc, but not impossible and not stupid. For example, even if he doesn't get it, he might a dissent from the denial which would be useful in any cert petition. If I were Frosh, I would definitely seek en banc first before filing for cert. If you seek en banc first, you have two shots, one with the CA4 and one with the SCT.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Fader also made a fatal error (in my opinion) by stating that the ban is not an issue because there are other firearms available to be used. I believe Justice King brought him up short with the SCOTUS ruling in Heller, when DC used the same argument. He basically told fader, if SCOTUS found that argument to be a non starter in Heller why should you get to use it here? (paraphrasing)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Unless there is an urgent reason to get the issue to the SCT (and there wouldn't be here), Frosh loses nothing by seeking en banc. If decision is unanimous, that just makes it harder to get en banc, but not impossible and not stupid. For example, even if he doesn't get it, he might a dissent from the denial which would be useful in any cert petition. If I were Frosh, I would definitely seek en banc first before filing for cert. If you seek en banc first, you have two shots, one with the CA4 and one with the SCT.

Good points....

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Government 101: Governor = Executive, AG = Judicial, MGA = Legislative

No, the AG is part of the executive branch, not the judiciary. The courts comprise the judiciary. The AG is just that part of the executive branch that represents the Ex. Br. in court.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Either way, I'll bet this case takes a couple years to resolve. Courts are slow on purpose, they are gov't workers after all.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    ... and I learned from watching schoolhouse rock...:D

ETA... when they weren't re-runs...:o

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Gee that's funny... O'mallothead seemed to control them all... didn't he?:rolleyes:

That's because the Dems controlled the GA and he controlled the Dem. Party and thus could make life difficult for dem legislators. Much more difficult now, with the Gov. in the opposing party's hands. As to the judiciary, the Gov. does not control them. They are just liberals.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Either way, I'll bet this case takes a couple years to resolve. Courts are slow on purpose, they are gov't workers after all.

60 - 90 days for a ruling, then enbanc review (7 months to be heard) - 60 - 90 days for that ruling, then request cert from SCOTUS, so that potentially puts us in the 2016 SCTUS schedule with a 2017 ruling.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Good points....

And the case for en banc would get even better under the Rules of Appellate Procedure, if the panel opinion expressly disagrees with the DC Circuit in Heller II, which, you will recall, upheld the DC ASW ban. So, did Heller II come up during the argument?

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Fader also made a fatal error (in my opinion) by stating that the ban is not an issue because there are other firearms available to be used. I believe Justice King brought him up short with the SCOTUS ruling in Heller, when DC used the same argument. He basically told fader, if SCOTUS found that argument to be a non starter in Heller why should you get to use it here? (paraphrasing)

Dan: Quick point for future reference: all judges in the lower federal courts are "judges" not justices. Only SCT judges are "justices"

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    If we prevail, the AWB and magazine capacity law are gone and those two provisions of FSA 2013 go back to what they were pre Oct 2013. Regulated, 77R, 7 day wait, no copycat listing.

20 round magazines.

The state got hammered on the magazine issue, the comment was made that there were roughly 750,000,000 "standard" capacity magazines in circulation and in use by for lawful purposes by law abiding citizens. If 750,000,000 isn't in common use, then what number is?

Could the court rule that ANY AND ALL magazine capacity limits are unconstitutional? Why would one magazine capacity limit be anymore constitutional than another?

If the FSA'13 magazine 10 round limit is struck down, would it require another law suit the strike down the previous 20 round limit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jlng1984

Latest threads

Top Bottom