• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skooter525

Sep 27, 2008
    Aberdump
    I can't believe about the open space on a 38 special, according to the book I need 4.3 gr of Hp-38 with a 125 gr bullet. don't seem like enough

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    38 special was designed for black powder. Smokeless powder usually fills about half of a shell space.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    Don't let it fool you and don't get into the syndrome of "fill 'er up". I use Bullseye and it doesn't take much. <4 grs of that is plenty of power to push a 125 gr slug down range in my .38 spl loads.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    Watch the charges...It's easy to get a double if you're not careful when using a powder that fills so little of the case.
    4.3 sounds right off the top of my head.
    I load 4.5 of ww231 for +p and 4.0 for a plinking load under a 158gr LSWCHP.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Watch the charges...It's easy to get a double if you're not careful when using a powder that fills so little of the case.
    4.3 sounds right off the top of my head.
    I load 4.5 of ww231 for +p and 4.0 for a plinking load under a 158gr LSWCHP.

+1:thumbsup:

I use 4.0gr of Titegroup in my .38's with 158gr Plated HP. It is very easy to overlook a double charge with this small amount of powder.

Shit ain't worth losing a finger or worse.

jjbduke2004

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2008
    Morris Oblast, NJ SSR
    There's a powder out there called Trail Boss that is very low density and designed to a batter job of filling the case in older cartridges designed for black powder such as .44-40 and .45 Long Colt.

Another trick is to fill some of that volume with corn meal (I think).

Cowboy T

One guy told about an unfortunate incident involving .38 Spl and Bullseye powder (similar to HP38). Apparently the dude in the lane next to him had thought that the "puny" amount of powder in his cartridge wasn't enough and filled it to the rim. Whoops.

The resulting explosion destroyed the gun and most of his hand. Shrapnel embedded itself quite deeply into the wood separating the lanes. That dude's lucky to be alive.

Powders like HP38/W231, Bullseye and Titegroup are very good powders, as long as you're careful. I use both of them extensively. A proper charge of either in a typical revolver case will not go up to even half the height of the case. You don't need a lot; as Hodgdon says, "a little goes a long way!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom