• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    I live in Anne Arundel County and I am looking to add a tree or two to my yard. I want to do this on the other side of the sidewalk, out by the curb. Other than the obvious underground utility issues, does anyone know of any county codes that would prevent me from doing this? I have a fire hydrant in my yard, do I need to stay a certain distance from that?

Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I don't know about laws with planting in whatever county you live in. But I know about utility's, You have to call Miss Utility at least 48 hrs before you dig. I believe you can do it online also. They will mark underground lines on your property. Red for electric, orange for low voltage ( cable, fiber, phone ) blue for water and green for sewer. You can also ask for flags to be installed with the marking paint.. if some or all of your utility's are overhead you will not have any paint marks for what is overhead. And if you have to dig within a Ft of any paint , you need to hand dig gently and find the utility unless its deeper than the depth you need. Hand dig one foot on eather side of the paint marks if you are crossing the marked utility. If its marked and you cut it, you pay to fix. No marks you know pay. Just make sure to get a Miss Utility Ticket and write the number down. And if I remember correctly the ticket is only good for a week or two.

Just5Guy

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Carroll Co.
    Yeah, I had Miss Utility out. I am just trying to figure out if there are any regs since I believe technically the county owns between the sidewalk and the curb.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Technically you are not allowed because its not your property. Small plants county will not say anything. Trees is a big no no unless you have permission.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Look at your Certified land survey and see where the boundaries are. You most likely own it and pay taxes on it but there is a right of way for utility's. Call planing and zoning.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Look at your Certified land survey and see where the boundaries are. You most likely own it and pay taxes on it but there is a right of way for utility's. Call planing and zoning.

Public utility easements are typically 10 feet behind the sidewalk/right of way. County or hoa owns the sidewalk and whatever grass area towards the curb. Yes..its your responsibility to cut the grass but not necessarily own it.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Another issue with doing this - obviously the tree is going to be very close to the sidewalk. Its branches are going to interfere with people trying to walk/jog on the sidewalk, kind of defeating the reason for the sidewalk existing in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom