• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Looking for some good loads for possible long range shooting for both calibers . This inlcudes Bullet selection and weights as well as powder some of you prefer to use ..

I am coming from an IHMSA background but long range rifle is something I have been wanting to get into .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The AI version only increases the case capacity by about 3grbof water, or about 4%. What I quickly turned up is that with 150 and down bullets the vels are close to standard '06 . With heavier bullets the vel differecnce will show up. Expected increase in 100-150 range.
    Nosler show 100% load density for 4831 with their 165.
    While the usual 168-175 match bullets will undoubtedly have their usual accuraccy potential, but if you wanted to take full "advantage " of the AI chambering consider the 190gr Matchking.

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    Sierra 220gr HPBT Matchking with IMR 4350 used to dominate 1,000 yard competitions. One of the best loads I ever had for my '06. The 220gr has a significantly superior ballistic coefficient over the lighter Sierra bullets.

If I just wanted an accurate round for whatever, I would go with te 168gr. But if you serious about stretching it out, the 220 is the way to go.

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    Trying to work up an accurate load for my Remington 742 Woodsmaster 30-06. It was handed down to me from my Uncle who had great success with it over very very long distances for Central Wyoming antelope hunting.

Factory loads no different than reloads. Now using Sierra Match King 168gr so it cant be the BC on that bullet. I have tweaked the loads a bunch and the groups are all iffy at best, none better than the others. Bad enough I wouldn't even hunt with it. >6" @100yrds with some flyers.

When I got it I had a gunsmith replace the stupid plastic bolt carrier shield thingamajig that is notorious to break and did so.
    Crown and Rifling looks good to my eye. Good feeling trigger. Scope is the same one that bagged all that game. Mounts are seriously locktighted already. These guns have been called throw-aways with a short life when I look on line but this one has sentimental value. I'd like to rehabilitate it somehow. It did slamfire on me once with factory ammo so it is on my naughty list. It scared the crap out of me but hasn't done it again with perhaps another 200 rounds though it. I won't give up on this one until I am sure I am beat.

So any thoughts,
    1. Maybe too many rounds already through it and it is over the hill. I hear a new barrel is a big PIA for this firearm.
    2. Should I get some real bad ass copper cleaner and go to town on it. If so what would anyone recommend?
    3. Does a slamfire disqualify a firearm for serious consideration completely?

Any thoughts/ideas would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How long of range?

Out to 600 yards or so, the Sierra Match King 168 grain seems to rule. Beyond that, the 175 grain takes over. Another interesting bullet is the Berger 168 gr VLD. VLD = Very Low Drag. The ballistic coefficient is higher than the heavier version bulllets and you can push it faster due to the lighter weight.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Never hurts to do a good bbl cleaning. But what jumps out to me is that the origional high millage scope may be bad. Try with a different scope of known good accuracy.

Billcw

Ultimate Member
    Oct 26, 2008
    Hanover,md
    Thanks guys...I have 168 and 190 match kings right now and have 4350,4895, and some 748 on hand ..so keep the info coming this is really helping me out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom