• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I've worked A LOT of OT lately and have decided to get myself a small present, namely a new duty knife. I've got it narrowed down to two, not wholly similiar knives.

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Police-Spyder-Knife-Black/dp/B0014HP2HE/ref=pd_sbs_sg_7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1389517282&pf_rd_i=507846

I feel like the Gerber is more of a pure weapon while the serrated Police 3 is a little more of a work knife and weapon. This will be replacing my much loved Spyderco Rescue.

Thoughts?

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Get both, but if you must get just one and you use it often to cut stuff, it might be easier to sharpen a half serrated blade rather than fully serrated IMO.
    Both are quality knives so either way you can't go wrong.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There are a few others that you may consider, depending on your criteria, and what you intend to use it for. One may be the Benchmade triage, it is fast becoming a favorite utility knife for first responders.

M-PT-Benchmade.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What about Cold Steel knives?

I frankly don't trust them. I've seen too many that were carried by co-workers in this job and the Coast Gaurd that just didn't impress me.

There are a few others that you may consider, depending on your criteria, and what you intend to use it for. One may be the Benchmade triage, it is fast becoming a favorite utility knife for first responders.

My preference is for a blade greater than 4 inches with as strong a lock as possible. It must have a pocket clip and must be very weather resistant. I like the serrated edges for cutting flex cuffs and maybe just because I've carried one since the USCG. I prefer full serrated to partial in a work knife. The Gerber's serrations in my opinion don't detract from its worth as a close in weapon but I worry how well it's not serrtaed portions will stand up to actually being used to every day use.

The Benchmade is a nice looking knife, never seen it before.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Berry interesting. I'll keep my eye on mine.

I know that they have a huge catalog and it's possible that they've improved over the years. In the USCG in the late 90's they were frequently known as "Cheap Steel" for their habit of rusting in a salt water environment.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I frankly don't trust them. I've seen too many that were carried by co-workers in this job and the Coast Gaurd that just didn't impress me.

My preference is for a blade greater than 4 inches with as strong a lock as possible. It must have a pocket clip and must be very weather resistant. I like the serrated edges for cutting flex cuffs and maybe just because I've carried one since the USCG. I prefer full serrated to partial in a work knife. The Gerber's serrations in my opinion don't detract from its worth as a close in weapon but I worry how well it's not serrtaed portions will stand up to actually being used to every day use.

The Benchmade is a nice looking knife, never seen it before.

4", full serrated, folder with a strong lock, decent steel, pocket clip, no cold steel. Pretty much leaves the spyderco police, and nothing else.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    4", full serrated, folder with a strong lock, decent steel, pocket clip, no cold steel. Pretty much leaves the spyderco police, and nothing else.

Any thoughts on how the Gerber stands up to day to day cutting tasks?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The spydie is a full flat grind, known for a fine edge that excells at slicing, add in the serrations and it will cut heavy materials better and keep a useable edge much longer. It is designed for practicality and utility, but the strong lock and dagger tip would help to improve peircing and stabbing. I had a Gerber applegate, it is a dagger grind with unsharpened spine, of course it peirces well, but the grind is fairly steep, being only 1/2 of the width is useable, so the edge will get thick after a couple sharpenings, and it isn't all that great of a utility blade. The handle also is a bit slippery and there isn, t much of a hilt to protect your hand from sliding onto the blade. It is a cool knife, and the lock design is great, but it is too much combat and not enough utility for duty carry IMO, the spiderco will be far more useful, and a far better balance of utility.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I like the Spyderco Ulize a lot more than the Police3 model. The Ulize has better hand-stop protection to prevent your hand from sliding forward onto the blade during a fight.
    http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/spydercoulizec161gp-vg-10blade.aspx

For about half the price, a decent alternative to either one is the Spyderco Endura4 (plain or combo edge).
    http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/endura4lwt-plaincomboorserratededge.aspx

On a side note, IMO, fully-serrated edges are great for heavy-duty cutting but are not good during a fight because they snag easily.

RaVis

Oi!
    Jun 19, 2011
    I'd be ok with that particular Gerber if it was one of the first runs shortly after its introduction. I do not trust Gerber's current production knives simply because they all seem to be made in China using cheap steel and QC for the people who don't know any better.

I'd recommend the Spyderco Military. I always thought it was a huge knife that I'd never want to have. It doesn't feel that big. But, after handling one I understand why those who have it... really like it. Military's liner lock isn't anything to be shunned at either.

Full size handle G10 will allow a solid grip even with gloves on (which I'd assume you're wearing while on duty). And, you can find one priced similarly to the Police you're showing us.

C36G_L.jpg

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Having both that you mentioned I would go for the Spyderco Endura but a plain edge , I have carried one everyday for years and barely notice that it is in my pocket . I carry the one with the stainless handle .

The Gerber while nice and one of the few Gerbers I like is bulky as hell in the pocket . And as Ravis said the new Gerbers are questionable I would not trust one .

My EDC knives

Attachments

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      80.7 KB · Views: 463

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    Any thoughts on how the Gerber stands up to day to day cutting tasks?

I have a few Gerber knives that I bought years ago. They are good sturdy knives. However, a couple of recent purchases of that brand have been dissapointing. The quality is not the same and I actually returned them for that reason. To be specific, it seemed that the alloy was of less quality, were flimsy, and the blade(s) were dull. The ones I had this experience with were the three different sized "Paraframes" and an "Evo".

Okiegunner

Jan 8, 2013
    Sounds like you are "out" on any of the Cold Steel knives.

However, if you like a BIG folder, the CS Espada is like a small sword. They make a 3.5, 5.5 or a whopping 7.5 inch blade. I work with a guy who carries the 5.5 inch and swears by it. He even carries it off duty, weak side.

For myself, a 3.5- 4 inch blade is plenty big, but thats a personal preference.

Good luck in your search!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom