• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    Well, I waited to the last possible minute to decide I want to buy at least one AR-15 lower before the ban. I'd like to buy a quality one and build a quality rifle with parts from the same manufacturer at some later date. (No frenkenrifle)

Can anyone suggest the best places to buy good lowers at a reasonable price? I'm thinking top quality - like Noveske. Colt? Does Spike's get within hailing distance? Of course, if anyone has one to sell here I am interested as well.

S&W?

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    I am not totally sure how important it is to buy a high quality lower. I've read things both ways. I do plan on building it out (eventually) with parts from the same maker. So the lower kind of dictates the quality. I'm sure I'd end up spending plenty on the upper if I buy an high quality lower. All that being said I am thinking under $250, maybe under $200. So I may be in Spikes, RRA territory. I am open to suggestions.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Any name brand stripped lower (aluminum) will get the job done. It's the parts you put inside the lower along with the complete upper that make the rifle something special. There's nothing wrong with getting a complete lower either if the price is right. It's easy enough to swap out internal parts later if you wish.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Go to Engage Armament in Rockville. Get yourself an Engage stripped lower and upper and then go from there. They also have complete lowers and uppers as well. Good luck!

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You have frittered away far too much time already. You can't afford to go on being so impractically and unrealistically fussy about this matter (no offense, I'm just being frank, in a warm, fuzzy way). At this point you'll grab what you can.

Remember, you can't resell in the state anyway.

Buy TWO lowers at least. They may have to last you the rest of your life, and once you build one, you'll wish you'd gotten a second or a third.

Maybe get a billet from Engage. They have cachet and status. Then just get any decent forged lower you can find: Spikes, Aero Precision, Palmetto, whatever.

Or go on and take a couple more weeks researching.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Don't hold back threeband...tell it like it is!:lol2:

OP, when you figure out what you want, start another thread getting various opinions on price.:sad20:

....and then another thread complaining about price gouging.:sad20:

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    Ten seconds after I posted I went back and edited out a couple phrases that might have seemed like insensitive criticism.

There was something about ... and also the word....

No, you were absolutely right. I did fritter away too much time and I can't afford to be fussy. I'll get what's available and decent and have it express mailed. As to price - I can't complain too much since I put myself in this position. Not like you couldn't see it coming.

So Engage makes/sells quality lowers? I don't legally need to buy the upper yet as I understand it. But I will if I can afford it.

shaddydan

ADHD chicken fighter
    Oct 22, 2010
    Hydes
    Billet vs. Forged. Mil-spec are forged. Billet is better but not needed. Advantage for billet is if you ever crack the lower (hopefully never) it can be welded. Just call some IP's, lots to be found.

Thanks for not whining on price...at least you manned up!

Metaterra

Jun 28, 2008
    Annapolis, MD
    Billet vs. Forged. Mil-spec are forged. Billet is better but not needed. Advantage for billet is if you ever crack the lower (hopefully never) it can be welded. Just call some IP's, lots to be found.

Thanks for not whining on price...at least you manned up!

Thanks. And I'm headed to Engage this afternoon.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Many argue that forged is stronger. Billet (machined down from a block) can be more detailed and intricate. Either are regarded as good. Polymer lowers are a mixed bag. Some love em, those that have a cracked one, hate em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom