• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Some of yall folks need to chill the hell out. I'm in the same boat waiting for my paperwork but crying about it don't do squat. At least the Capt. tried to answer in what seems to be a decent response to people whining about their app. If you buy your stuff before August you should be fine. Do you have a firearm right now, which the majority probably does, then go shoot that one.

Whoops..... that didn't take long for me to stumble upon. Here's a guy who in fact it IS his first handgun. Now, are we all going to just go Joe Biden on him and suggest he should be fine with a shotgun? Or, is this actually pretty screwed up the guy is being round about denied his right to properly defend himself (this MONTH)

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2226286&postcount=1877

Joe Blow

Joe Blow
    Feb 2, 2012
    Southern MD
    The guys at the licensing division are not to blame and are trying to accommodate everyone the best they can with what they have. They are obviously being worked right now but I doubt they are holding up the processes on purpose. The more we call and email about things that are not going to change does nothing to help speed things along.

Ouhuzo

Mar 2, 2013
    The more I hear about how arduous Maryland's background check is, the more I appreciate Virginia's instant background, where I bought my firearms while a resident there. The process took no more than a half-hour.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its pointless posting any factual info about this topic. People dont want to hear it. The uninformed and emotional experts will just argue anyway.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I still don't know why all 14 threads haven't been combined and new ones restricted

All other single subject threads have long since been combined, locked or deleted.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Not really. Say 450 new apps per day for nice round numbers. They would need 100 man hours to do that. 100/8hr shift=12.5 people - we'll say 13(to make up for frequent donut breaks:D). There are approx 2500 MSP employees. I think they can probably find some help out of all of those employees. That would only be 1/2 or 1 percent of their workforce 2500x.005=12.5.

Just an FYI - that would be about $346 per person per day. The math - 450apps x $10 = $4500/13 people = $346

So tell me why they don't have the $ - do troopers make $43/hr?

So those 2500 employees have nothing else to do?

The group that does the checks have X number of people. PERIOD. They can't just grab more people to help.

And the cost of processing is NOT only the money the people get paid. Figure that for every $1 paid to a worker, it costs $1+ to cover things like benefits (Social Security, pension, workers comp, medical, etc), building, lighting, electricity, equipment, supervision (yes, supervisors also get paid), and all those other things.

Oh, and you sit and work without any breaks for 8 hours every day? Not even to go to the bathroom? :)

Carryit

Mar 6, 2013
    Uh....yeah. :sad20:

You guys are about to believe that?

Lets to the math on this. Are we to take it that ONE man is processing 450 apps per week? If that is the case, and we assume there are 10 folks processing apps,...... then....... whats the hold up?

The person answering the phone (and fielding questions about apps) is not a Trooper, not conducting background checks. So, why are they claiming to be losing 450 checks a week over people calling and emailing in? What the fvck business has to manually leaf through applications to find out where in the process they are? Is this 2013 or 1953?
    Actually one trooper puts out 350 a day. There were 2 troopers processing all the applications 3 weeks ago, and since then they have hired 2 more. They have been recieving 400 plus applications a day since January, so that's a lot of backup time they need to catch up on. My hats off to them, they aren't the problem they are doing all they can. Maybe nObama and nOmalley should personally help them out. They sure don't seem worried about fixing any of the real issues in the country anyway.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Actually one trooper puts out 350 a day. There were 2 troopers processing all the applications 3 weeks ago, and since then they have hired 2 more. They have been recieving 400 plus applications a day since January, so that's a lot of backup time they need to catch up on. My hats off to them, they aren't the problem they are doing all they can. Maybe nObama and nOmalley should personally help them out. They sure don't seem worried about fixing any of the real issues in the country anyway.

Source?

If one Trooper can handle 350 (Three hundred and Fifty) per day, why are we coming up on 50 days behind?

Wait,.... if they worked a 10 hour day with no break at all, one man does cranks out 35 apps an hour? That is spending ~1.7 minutes per application.

My point was more geared toward the assertion that they weren't able to process 120 apps a day because of answering the phone and email.

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    This was just sent to me, given the circumstances they are doing their best. Please don't email them as indicated below it takes time away from processing applications.

Dealers,

We are currently processing applications received From January 25th through January 29th. Everything we have received prior to the 24th of January should have been faxed back by now. We will begin faxing back applications from the 24th and 25th this evening. Please let me know if you have any applications prior to January 24th that you have not received notification for.

It would appear that many dealers are encouraging their customers to e-mail the Licensing Division directly to get an update on the status of their application. Many times this results in taking an employee away from records checks to literally dig through a pile of 2,000 applications to see where it is. Remember our system is a very outdated, manual process. These records are only retrieved electronically once the process is near completion. A change to this current process takes a commitment for funding to be approved. Once funding is approve, we can begin an automation process that will certainly help with the delays while allowing a dealer to always know where their application is in the process.

Please know that by responding to an overwhelming number of e-mails each day has resulted in about 450 less record checks weekly. We will continue to respond to the public. But, please help them out. We are receiving e-mails from citizens who bought a gun five days earlier that want to make sure we received their application. While I can certainly understand why this question is asked, please know the process for any application that was not received.

We recently replaced the single fax machine with two new faxes that are designed to allow a fax to come through to the other machine if one should go down for some reason. Hold your receipt. If after the current delay period, you discover that your fax was never received, we will process any application immediately.

If you are encouraging a customer to send an e-mail, then encourage them to give us all the needed information such as;

Date application sent by the dealer
    Name of the dealer
    Full name and date of birth from the applicant
    Every e-mail response takes time....and right now, every minute counts. We have employees so concerned with the backlog that they are working through illnesses and family emergencies to make sure they are here to get their job done. I'm proud of the commitment of the employees.

It is very important to me personally that the Licensing Division does everything under our power to support your Second Amendment Right. I will never allow any portion of this process to be intentionally delayed. Bare with me as I am committed every day to work through this demanding time period. I am hopeful that we will find a way to get everything on track for you and your customers.

Captain Jack McCauley
    Commander, Licensing Division

Department of Maryland State Police

1111 Reisterstown Road

mine should of been faxed in on the 22nd or 23rd of jan..... could it be in further review?? anyone send me the email address.. my gun store just keeps saying its not back yet... thats all..

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    It's infuriating that in 2013, a perfectly legal product for sale --firearms, a multi-multi million dollar industry in Maryland-- has to be channeled through an State Approval process using stacks-of-paper, carbon-copy, Soviet style bureaucracy relying on FAX machines and rolodex records. We have a major industry channeled through just a handful of couple government drones.

It's exactly the system someone would dream up to bog down an industry while claiming to be doing "the proper thing".

Dammit, if Virginia can have you in and out of a gun store with a handgun in 20 minutes, what is that they are doing that is so foreign that Marylanders can't have the same thing? Virginia can put their firearm "stats" up against any state any day of the week.

At some point we have got to throw off this Nanny State insanity...

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    i was just in my local gun store the salesman exact answer as of Today march 7 said they are processing apps from JAN 21st. unless you were sent to further review... not exactly sure what all would send you to further review so im guessing if today check was the 21st and i filled out paperwork and paid for mine on the 22nd, BUT, **

i did take the md online gun safety course on JAN/25/2013 which was a friday night so i didnt make it back in to give them the number until monday the 28th of JAN. :(

i totally forgot about this..
    how much delay do you think that would add since i gave the store the mdgunsafety course completion # as i went online and completed 100% done on 1/25/2013 after purchase on 1/22/2013.
    the i all paperwork was done i just had to get them the Safety course number which they received the course completion number on 1/28/2013.... dang i cant believe i forgot to turn that in on that day... so i guess how much of a delay is this going to set me back??

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Some people with aps sent in on 1/26 have received their approval, so you are good for anytime in the next week, depending on exactly when yours was actually transmitted and where in the pile yours was picked up by the MSPLD worker bees and how much coffee they had that morning.

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    Some people with aps sent in on 1/26 have received their approval, so you are good for anytime in the next week, depending on exactly when yours was actually transmitted and where in the pile yours was picked up by the MSPLD worker bees and how much coffee they had that morning.

did u read my question about the safety course #.. how many days should that add on to it????

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    did u read my question about the safety course #.. how many days should that add on to it????

Did you read the answer part about when it was transmitted? That's what matters. If your FFL transmitted it a week or two later, you have a big wait.

MSP has faxed approvals out for dates up to 1/26 ... you claim 1/28 ... the answer could be 2 days if my math is correct on the difference between 26 and 28.

if your FFL faxed it in later, the answer is ... it will be later. If they faxed it in on the 28 or 29, its possible your not disapproved could be return faxed as soon as tomorrow or Saturday. I'd bet on later

moveweight

Feb 12, 2013
    they never really give me a straight answer so i dont know!! i just know i paid i want the thing... and its like they dont care..
    my record is clean so i dont see why id be disapproved

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    they never really give me a straight answer so i dont know!! i just know i paid i want the thing... and its like they dont care..
    my record is clean so i dont see why id be disapproved

If they won't give a straight answer, money is on they didn't fax it until a lot later and you have a looong wait that's not MSPLD's fault

JR9390

Jan 2, 2012
    Don't blame MSP for tards in Annapolis.

It is however 2013, and I'm surpised people even use the US mail for much, let alone faxing. I can have an instant photo on my phone in seconds and it's not a crappy fax copy either.

Sorry My point is that there has to be an electonic way to submit all this information that you can log back into and see the results, or what is pending.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Don't blame MSP for tards in Annapolis.

It is however 2013, and I'm surpised people even use the US mail for much, let alone faxing. I can have an instant photo on my phone in seconds and it's not a crappy fax copy either.

Sorry My point is that there has to be an electonic way to submit all this information that you can log back into and see the results, or what is pending.

That would be great. It could probably be done for a private company for $10k or less ... for the government, with security and redundancy, probably closer to $100k

Talk your state senator into putting it into MSP's budget for this year's state budget, that's where it starts

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom