Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The private farm I hunt has the caretakers "Man Cave'
    (garage)
    and we hang out there
    before he drives us down the lane to the stands
    and he put reflectors up on some trees
    so our lame asses could find the stands.
    Then we gather the deer, dump em in the gator,
    drive to the gut pile, run 'em back to the farm to rinse them,
    hang them off the raised bucket of the tractor.
    This Muzz, I dragged a deer over open fields about 300 yards
    just to feel how the schlubs did it.
    Holy crap, its a workout!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Did you hold the knife yourself to gut it or did you hire someone? Just kidding.

My last one was a crossbow kill and I had to drag it up a 30 degree incline for about a 125 yards. YES! Dragging deer is a workout. Even the 100 pounders.

Took me three hours to find him and the temp dropped to 28 degrees. I'd push him 20 yards and wait for him to bleed out, then push him 20 more and wait some more. My lungs were frozen by the time I was done. He just didn't want to give up the ghost.

I wouldn't trade that tracking session for anything and after all was said and done, I donated him to Hunters and Farmers.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    D
    id you hold the knife yourself to gut it or did you hire someone? Just kidding.
    A guy in the chefs hat and white smock came out to gut everything while we drank
    Belgian Beer and had Endive and caviar salad!
    My last one was a crossbow kill and I had to drag it up a 30 degree incline for about a 125 yards. YES! Dragging deer is a workout. Even the 100 pounders.

Took me three hours to find him and the temp dropped to 28 degrees. I'd push him 20 yards and wait for him to bleed out, then push him 20 more and wait some more. My lungs were frozen by the time I was done. He just didn't want to give up the ghost.

That sounds like a cool hunt.
    I never had to track my own deer at this farm -
    the one at muzz ran 160 into an open field before collapsing.
    In the woods, I never would have found that deer.
    All others fell over due to the neck/spine shots, close range.
    78,(I got high on that shot, I was in a very tall stand) 8, 11 yards.
    I could have bayonetted deer that last muzz.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I'd push him 20 yards and wait for him to bleed out, then push him 20 more and wait some more.

We'd put an orange cap there, go back to the barn and eat and drink for an hour or 2, then get in the Gator, and ride like city boys up to go look.
    Luckily, all my shots are one shot kills there. The caretaker likes that, though He is Horn Hunting. Bigguns.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    No way is it good to have the warm guts ruin the meat by prolonged heat
    exposure, despite the cold outside - them gutz are warm.
    The sooner you gut 'em the better.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    What are PH's and trackers Fox? A [banned] member here carries some toilet paper
    to tie to trees along his blood track.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Laziest I've ever known were guys who would dump salt and feed everywhere the night before and then drive back the next morning and hunt from the inside of their Bronco. After bagging a few, they'd tie the deer to the hood, and drive it to someone who would handle the processing for a fee. Sometimes, while they waited, they'd drive back and get a few more deer. Being too lazy to get hunting permits, they had a few run-ins with Johnny Law, but just didn't care. The "don't even get out of the truck" style of hunting had become an obsession. What ultimately forced them to stop was that after buying a new SKS, one of them had the bright idea of "doing a driveby" and rolled the Bronco.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Used to climb to the top of a mountain in PA to hunt. Took about 45 minutes hard climbing and dragging down wasn't easy either. Now I hunt on the eastern shore. Just put up a new ladder stand last week. Time the trek from the cabin to the stand. One minute, thirty three seconds. Life is good.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I would hunt on the top of the hill at the family farm. I would drive my truck up to the top with a empty trailer. get out and take the 3 mile meandering walk back to the barn. I almost always have one shot drops with my 35 Rem, i would gut it and drag it downhill to the house and then get the wheeler, hang it in the barn then ride the wheeler to get my truck. it's a nice little system most days i get get my buck and be home before noon.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    About 15 years ago, I helped my father-in-law drag a monster buck up and over a ridge, and down a hollow, crossing a stream and back over, plus over a few fallen tree trunks. Total drag was only about half a mile, but it was the hardest thing I have ever done. We used one of those hard plastic deer drag sleds, and it was ruined by time we got him out, worn through in several places. He made one beautiful mount, though - well worth it. He dropped it mid-morning, we didn't have it back at camp until nearly dark.

Sportstud4891

Resident SMIB
    Jun 7, 2011
    Chuck County

I'm assuming this deer was gut shot since it was alive over three hours, had a vital organ been hit the deer would have been dead generally within 30 minutes and if the lungs are hit the deer will die from suffocation within 30 seconds. Gut shots can take up to 5 hours to kill a deer. They don't die by bleeding out, they die by infection due to the bacteria from the guts.

The best thing to do in this situation is to back out of the woods as quietly as possible and give the deer time to die, approx. 5 hours to be sure. The deer will be right where it laid down, generally not too far from where it was shot. By tracking a gut shot immediately you risk losing the animal because in some instances they will run a lot farther than 20 yards after being bumped a couple times.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Thanks for the info. He was half gut shot. Went in in front of the diaphram and went out through the gut. I will never take another quartering towards shot with a crossbow again. Broadside or nothing at all.

The worst part was I could smell his stinky ass while I was tracking him. That's why I had to donate him. I knew if I kept him, I would smell him again and again while I was eating him.

Same reason I couldn't drink Southern Comfort for years after a post Great Lakes Boot Camp blackout.

wheelgun

Feb 23, 2009
    Too bad...

Laziest I've ever known were guys who would dump salt and feed everywhere the night before and then drive back the next morning and hunt from the inside of their Bronco. After bagging a few, they'd tie the deer to the hood, and drive it to someone who would handle the processing for a fee. Sometimes, while they waited, they'd drive back and get a few more deer. Being too lazy to get hunting permits, they had a few run-ins with Johnny Law, but just didn't care. The "don't even get out of the truck" style of hunting had become an obsession. What ultimately forced them to stop was that after buying a new SKS, one of them had the bright idea of "doing a driveby" and rolled the Bronco.

Too bad everybody doesn't wear one of those "Go Pro" type cameras. Footage from the above would be priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom