• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I just got my 9mm lee loadmaster setup and I have everything working except for the resizing die. It seems like it takes more force than it should to fully seat the brass in the decapping/resizing die. It also takes "too much" force to get the brass out on the down stroke.

I say "too much" because I haven't reloaded before, but it's taking so much pressure on the down stroke to get the brass out, that the whole press shakes when it finally comes loose. When actually doing progressive reloading, some of the powder will shake out of the just filled cases.

I set the decapping die by fully raising the shell plate, then screwing the die down until it reached the plate. I then lowered the shell plate and screwed the die in another 1/4 turn so that it now set the maximum height of the rams travel.

I'm using lee carbide dies, so I don't think I should be using resizing lube.

Any ideas?
    -Jim

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Is the brass cleaned?

Also, some brass have smaller flash hole and which can bind.

Or eat some spinach. Lol

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Im not familiar with that system - but with alot of pistol carbide dies, you dont want the press to cam over. Make sure the instructions state to overseat the die in the manner your describe.

I know with RCBS pistol dies- the sizer die should have a gap between the shell holder, and the die bottom when fully raised.That gap is usally the thickness of a matchbook cover. If you overseat a carbide die - you can shatter the carbide insert, from the compound leverage.

With rifle rounds, with steel dies - you set the ram to cam over - meaning you screw the die about 1/4 turn further then full press stroke.

Also some 9mm brass have crimped in primers, for firing in Full Auto weapons.

Last edited:

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    The brass is clean. I put the brass in a plastic bag and sprayed some case lube in the bag and shook it up then tried again. Still not as smooth as I'd like, but I'm full progressive and everything is working. I have to really slow down on the start of the down pull, but other than that I'm trucking along.

So is the whole "no lube needed with carbide" a load of bull?

-jim

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Im not familiar with that system - but with alot of pistol carbide dies, you dont want the press to cam over. Make sure the instructions state to overseat the die in the manner your describe.

I know with RCBS pistol dies- the sizer die should have a gap between the shell holder, and the die bottom when fully raised.That gap is usally the thickness of a matchbook cover. If you overseat a carbide die - you can shatter the carbide insert, from the compound leverage.

I looked at about 6 sources that all suggested slightly over seating the resizing die to set the max up position of the ram, so I think I'm doing it right.... But I'm brand new to this and what I think and what is are often different.

-Jim

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The brass is clean. I put the brass in a plastic bag and sprayed some case lube in the bag and shook it up then tried again. Still not as smooth as I'd like, but I'm full progressive and everything is working. I have to really slow down on the start of the down pull, but other than that I'm trucking along.

-jim

You should not have to use any lube on brass for a pistol carbide die-it defeats the purpose. Ive had even dirty brass, slip in and out of a carbide die with no lube.

There are a very select few calibers that lube is recommended for a carbide (30 carbine)

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I looked at about 6 sources that all suggested slightly over seating the resizing die to set the max up position of the ram, so I think I'm doing it right.... But I'm brand new to this and what I think and what is are often different.

-Jim

Thats only with a bottleneck rifle cartridge -

Im actually looking at my Lee Modern Reloading manual. If you look on page 52 at the top of the page - "Adjust carbide & steel sizing die to just touch the shell plate or shell holder"

It then proceeds to say to adjust it further for a bottleneck cartidge.

I would back your resizing die out!

I also stand corrected - its not just 30carbine that lube is recommended - they state the 9mm luger. Most other rounds, no lube should be needed with a carbide sizer.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Thats only with a bottleneck rifle cartridge -

Im actually looking at my Lee Modern Reloading manual. If you look on page 52 at the top of the page - "Adjust carbide & steel sizing die to just touch the shell plate or shell holder"

It then proceeds to say to adjust it further for a bottleneck cartidge.

I would back your resizing die out!

I also stand corrected - its not just 30carbine that lube is recommended - they state the 9mm luger. Most other rounds, no lube should be needed with a carbide sizer.

I too just looked at the manual and you are exactly right! I watched the videos from loadmaster videos and on YouTube, but didn't realize that resizing dies were different in their setup. I'll now have to readjust my other dies, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

And, it looks like I'll still need lube since I'm doing 9mm Luger.... Durn it!

-Jim

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    I too just looked at the manual and you are exactly right! I watched the videos from loadmaster videos and on YouTube, but didn't realize that resizing dies were different in their setup. I'll now have to readjust my other dies, but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

And, it looks like I'll still need lube since I'm doing 9mm Luger.... Durn it!

-Jim

:thumbsup: but not because you need lube for your 9mm.. thats kinda crappy, lol.

Good luck to you!

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

-jim

i have lnl and havent lube any handgun cases at all.. this is after few thousand rounds.

wondering.. if its indexing correctly..

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Sounds like OP has situation well in hand.

FWIW - I use a Pro1000 for .45ACP with carbide dies, even when they're somewhat nasty, they still go quite easily. Sucks to hear you still need to lube for 9mm, but I guess it's not the end of the world.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I reset the resizing die to just kiss the shell plate at the very top of the stroke, then readjusted the other dies to match. It's much smoother now, still takes a good amount of force, but after extensive googling, apparently that's normal for 9mm.

Now the only "sticky" spot is on the down stroke after the brass has been flared while being charged. Even a small flare on the case mouth sticks on the way down creating a bit of a jerk. I can live with it though and am cranking out the rounds!

-Jim

RipkinC

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2007
    Free America
    Are you loading a lot of fired brass from an unsupported chamber like older glocks have? If so you may have some bulged brass that's screwing the pooch

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    I would call Lee and talk to them. If this is a new die it could be a bad die. Lee should let you send this in for them to look at.

wklohr

Stand Ye Steady!
    Jul 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I just last night started decapping and sizing 9mm as well. I have done other calibers but not 9mm. I ended up using just a little lube. Not smooth as silk, but much better than without. Im just using a single stage set up though, not progressive.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Now the only "sticky" spot is on the down stroke after the brass has been flared while being charged. Even a small flare on the case mouth sticks on the way down creating a bit of a jerk. I can live with it though and am cranking out the rounds!

-Jim

Lee dies do that so if you're using that die with a Lee Powder thrower it makes any powder that may be sticking inside the die shake loose. I've got four or five or six Lee pistol die sets, they all do this.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Lee dies do that so if you're using that die with a Lee Powder thrower it makes any powder that may be sticking inside the die shake loose. I've got four or five or six Lee pistol die sets, they all do this.

This is very good information! I'll now stop trying to figure out how to "fix" it. :)

As I break the machine in, everything is getting smoother. I'm trucking along now and am really happy with the loadmaster.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom